The Knitting Green Challenge

This post has 74 Replies | 24 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Apr 19, 2010 11:47 AM

I purchased a pair of silk lined pants @ a resale shop, but I don't like the fit.  I would like to cut them into yarn.  The lower legs are very tapered.  Should strips be cut on the horizontal?  I paid top dollar for a ball of. Lantern Moon Silk Taffeta strips, so maybe this would be similar.  Any suggestions?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Peg Mayor wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 11:54 AM

I had a stack of t-shirts ready for the Goodwill when I noticed how well they all coordinated.  So, I cut them up and made these two bags from the strips.  Size 15 needles, 2 stitches to the inch.  On the smaller bag, the handles are made from a thrift shop belt.

I detail all my projects on my blog:  www.ragingwool.blogspot.com

Not Ranked
Posts 1
jazz_cat wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 12:16 PM

Wow this project is an inspiration to me.  It's amazing and it must have taken forever!  I love it, good work!

Not Ranked
Posts 11
NinaPC@2 wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 12:33 PM

Amazing work!

Not Ranked
Posts 11
NinaPC@2 wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 12:35 PM

I would love to see a picture of your new project.  By the way, what is frogging? 

Nina

Not Ranked
Posts 11
NinaPC@2 wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 12:44 PM

Peg,

I love your bags!  I've been wanting to knit a bag for my groceries - do you think knitted t-shirt fabric will hold up?   Upcyling a belt was so clever of you..thanks for sharing that idea; I can't tell you how many times I've been at a thrift store and stood in front of the belt rack brainstorming how I could reuse some of the lovely belts I've seen!  I'm going to check out your blog.  I just started a blog, and am so excited about sharing and learning from other bloggers.  I'm still a beginning knitter, but I am all about recycling and upcycling. 

www.knitwitnina.blogspot.com

Bye

Nina

Not Ranked
Posts 1
karenkrafts wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 1:13 PM

I saw this program when I was home sick one day.   I had just thrown away a dress that is way too big for me now.  I got it back out of the bin, and am going to cut it up for knitting.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Apr 19, 2010 1:27 PM

my grandmother used to take bread wrappers and other plastic bags and weave them into hats and purses for us when we were small.  I used wrappers from the newspaper to crochet for a matt for the front covered pourch. it worked fairly well.Janee

Not Ranked
Posts 1
CraftEvolve wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 1:53 PM

Recently I used a pair of cotton pj pants that were no longer wearable (who knows if company were to call while I was in my pjs?!) to make yarn.  I simply tore them right up and down the legs while making curved cuts about an inch above the waist and ankle seams...  Here's a tutorial!

At first I just made a wrist wrap using vintage lace and a vintage button, but I had plenty left over... I ended up making three necklaces in addition!  Here's one of my favorites, but you can see all of the finished projects here : )

Not Ranked
Posts 1
lisafred wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 2:18 PM

This was fun!  I made a tall slender basket for holding oversized knitting needles and other odds-n-ends.  I used a yard of felt cut into one L-O-N-G strip and two contrasting yarns.  You can see the tutorial at http://moltodimodadesigns.blogspot.com  where I linked to the CHALLENGE.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Peg Mayor wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 2:28 PM

Nina --

Thanks for the compliment.  I've knit for 25 years and this is the first I tried t-shirts.  The bags are heavy but feel strong.  The first bag used a lot of garter stitch and I think stockinette or even lace would be better.  Cotton is heavy.

The belt/handles came out great.  I just used some t-shirt strips to sew them on.  I've also taken a flat belt and cut it in half.  Punched holes in each end with a leather punch, and sewed the handle on.  The easiest thing is to buy a thrift shop purse with nice handles, cut them off, and re-install.

I think you could use the t-shirt fabric for a market bag.  Try a lace stitch so it's flexible and stretchy.

I checked out your blog -- great work!  I'll follow you.

Peg

Not Ranked
Posts 3
JessnJoen wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 4:18 PM

I was really inspired by this post and I looking forward to trying this with cloth and knitting.  I have been upcycling plastic bags for crochet projects for years.  I have 2 crochet projects going right now.  I have a bag of clothes I just set aside for donations and I cannot wait to dig through it.  The scarf project looks really fun.

How to cut bags, pantlegs, etc and get a long loop.

Method 1.  Cut in thin strips after removing top and bottom of your bag.  Connect the strips like rubber bands to esch other.

Method 2:: cut bags horizontally after removing the handles, cutting off the bottom "seam", etc.  There are 2 "seamed" edges.  Cut from one edge to about 1/2 inch form the other edge (I actually roll my bag up from one edge so I can make small cuts, but with fabric, this might be too much bulk).  Next, open the edge without the cuts so you can see across the 1 inch space.  Now cut from the bottom cut on the left to the 2 from the bottom cut on the right. 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, etc.  Cut the last right row and the first left row row off the side.

See my graphics attached and some project pictures.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Apr 19, 2010 5:27 PM

What do you do with your thrift store sweaters?? Any knitting patterns to make things from the used sweaters?/

Thanks

jean

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Karen@432 wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 6:19 PM

I'm working on a bag made with plastic grocery bag strips and  a brightly colored variegated yarn.  I hold the strands together as I knit in the round.  Tough on my fingers but I'm excited to be able to use the final product!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
malkala wrote
on Apr 19, 2010 7:24 PM

Here are some legwarmers that I have been making (and selling) from old sweaters.  I also made a bunch of arm warmers with thumbholes.  I mostly used the sleeves but I tried to use as much of the sweater as I could.  I cut out felt fowers and sewed them on with buttons or additional flair :)  This practice is called "upcycling" and I found TONS of ideas for this on etsy.  My 6 year old daughter and I are now making a doll for our new niece with leftover scraps. I relied HEAVILY on my serger for these legwarmers!  Love the Serger!  I had a couple of knitting projects that didn't turn our right that I also used to make these. 

Page 2 of 5 (75 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS