The Knitting Green Challenge

This post has 74 Replies | 24 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
LGritsV wrote
on Apr 20, 2010 5:05 PM

How very clever and creative.      Not something even I (a crazy dreamer/designer) would think of doing. Good for you - I know it makes you feel good to be doing something like that.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
MarshM wrote
on Apr 20, 2010 8:25 PM

Over a number of years, I collected woolen work socks from my friends. When I thought I had enough, I cut "rings" from the useable parts. I dyed the rings in many colours; then I finger-knit the circles into a long strand which I later coiled and sewed into a rug. About the only thing I would change would be to randomly pick colours rather than using up each colour before going on to another. My friends are impressed with the result of their  contributions.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
AmeliaS wrote
on Apr 21, 2010 12:09 AM

WOW!  How to you crochet the pull tabs together?  It looks neat.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Mammadonna wrote
on Apr 21, 2010 7:03 AM

I took the time to read all of the posts so far, plenty of great ideas.  My knitting group started our Reduce, Reuse, Recycle project. for my project I bought 10 t-shirts at the Salvation Army, at a cost of $4.00, cut them into strips and I'm knitting them into a bathmat using the pattern from Mason-Dixon Knitting (1st book).  I started on sz 15 needles but it was too painful for my hands, so I switched to sz 17. It's still a WIP, here are a few pics.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
AndreaI@6 wrote
on Apr 21, 2010 9:45 AM

This was fun!  In the winter, here in Portland Oregon, we layer our clothes.  Thermal long sleeve shirts are a mainstay. 

When spring weather hits, and the trees begin to bloom - it is time to shed the thermals and toss the old ones into the rag bag.  My entry into the green challenge came from three size small mens thermal long sleeve shirts: one heather gray, one olive green with some patterns, and a black which also had some patterns on the sleeve

The shirts were cut up and tied randomly - strips were all between 1/2 and 1 inch wide, of various lengths, tied in overhand knots.  I used a #17 circular needle, and even then wondered if it would be too bulky. 

I cast on 12 stitches, followed garter stitch only - with a few random drops and VIOLA!  I stretched it out a LOT when wet and it gave it a much better length and lacier end result.  5" wide and 58" long.

You like?

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Valinptcga wrote
on Apr 21, 2010 11:05 AM

Very nifty.  I like the color combo and the randomness.  My kids describe this type of knitting as Matrix like or Mad Max.  Cool.  tks for sharing.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
SharonC wrote
on Apr 21, 2010 11:19 AM

I love your bag. The stripes really did come out great.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
LauraE@22 wrote
on Apr 21, 2010 8:00 PM

I reknit things until they are right. The item in question may go into time out for a few years, but it is always reknit the way I envisioned it or until it fits properly. I also work in a yarn store. My students bring in any yarn or fabric they no longer want and I take to my local elementary school for the art program. The art teacher shares with other teachers in the school and also other departments within the school district.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Apr 22, 2010 6:04 AM

I took the challenge and came up with this knit basket. An old chair slipcover provided the fabric yarn. It was easy to knit in garter stitch. The ribbon is recycled from a gift.  Check out my blog this Earth Day to see the details http://dominanthands.blogspot.com/2010/04/knitting-green-challenge-my-knit-basket.html

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Miss Muffin wrote
on Apr 23, 2010 1:51 AM

I used the same method to make yarn out of old shirts and bedsheets. It's great since stains or minor holes won't show. I crocheted a round rug for my daughters room. I totally love it! I think it looks especially good if you choose matching colors! You can see the rug on my blog

http://muffinsnmore.blogspot.com/2008/12/finished-rag-rug.html

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Susan@297 wrote
on Apr 23, 2010 6:33 PM

Old nylon stockings make great rugs.

Wash the stockings, then cut the stocking into strips, tie together, and do a garter stitch. A large needle such as a 15 or 17 will do. Once you figure out the gauge and the width, you will know how many stitches to cast on.

When I tie the strips together, I like to leave 3 inch ends so the rug is fluffy.

I also use old cotton tights.

Give it a good wash after knitting up. The rug is slippery, so it needs a non-slip backing.

S

Not Ranked
Posts 1
daylilies wrote
on Apr 26, 2010 1:29 PM

This was a really fun project. Although I had worked with 'rag yarn' for rugs and baskets, I had never experienced working with t-shirt yarn and  had  alot of fun working through the ups and downs of this recycled yarn. In the end, I made a cute draft stopper - to keep the attic drafts in the attic where they belong. If you want to hear more about my experiences with this green challenge, you can read more on the Daylilies blog: http://dayliliescreative.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/success-who-kn…uld-be-so-cute/

Thanks for this challenge, it was a LOT of fun!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
MarilynR@12 wrote
on Jun 2, 2010 10:54 AM

This purse is wonderful!!!  What stitch did you use to crochet it together?  Do you have an actual pattern?

you can e-mail me off line at mriffkin@juno.com

Not Ranked
Posts 2
MarilynR@12 wrote
on Jun 2, 2010 10:58 AM

How did you make the shawl?  it looks woven, is it?  Do you have a pattern for it?

Not Ranked
Posts 4
BeardedBiker wrote
on Jun 2, 2010 1:57 PM

Marilyn,

Hello there.  The shawl is knit.  I found a super simple pattern on Ravelry.  "Simple Things".  It's a garter stitch neck down shawl.  I then added my denim yarn (I cut an old pair of jeans into diagonal 3/8" strips and then straight stitched down the center of the strip with a 1/2" overlap from one to the other).  

I think it turned out beautifully.

Take care,    Travis

Page 4 of 5 (75 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS