The Knitting Green Challenge

This post has 74 Replies | 24 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
BeardedBiker wrote
on Jun 2, 2010 2:09 PM

The purse was created as a piece of artwork, but it could easily be used.  It was all single crochet.  I created a wide rectangle for the bottom and then, using the rectangle as the base, single crocheted in a circle until the bag was the desired depth.  The closure was then single crocheted back and forrth, then decreased to make the point.  Strap was picked up and singled back and forth again until desired length was obtained.

Travis

Not Ranked
Posts 1
littlefish wrote
on Jun 4, 2010 7:16 AM

Hazel-

I have been making a quilt with denim blocks (trying to be green and make a graduation gift).  I like your idea.  Are you willing to share how you made it?

lflorshinger@oceana.mi.us

Not Ranked
Posts 2
kllangse wrote
on Jun 4, 2010 8:10 AM

I LOVE this mat!  Great job!  I'd love to see the pattern if you're willing to share.  How wide are the strips you used?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
GwennM wrote
on Jun 4, 2010 8:19 AM

This is great. Would you be willing to share some "how-to" informantion, I have a pile of old sheets just waiting.

Thanks so much

GM

Not Ranked
Posts 1
ruabell wrote
on Jun 4, 2010 1:04 PM

I loved the crochet purse from pop tops.  Is there any chance of getting the pattern? 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
j finkbeiner wrote
on Jun 4, 2010 1:53 PM

What a wonderful idea!  Can you give details & instructions?  Thank you

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
JodiW wrote
on Jun 4, 2010 2:00 PM

Can you give instructions of how you finger-knit the circles into long strands?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
j finkbeiner wrote
on Jun 4, 2010 3:30 PM

Can you share your pattern / instructions for the recycled sheets made into bath mats?  Thank you

Not Ranked
Posts 1
eabondy wrote
on Jun 4, 2010 4:28 PM

Hi!  I love this and I love your idea!  How do you join your strips or do you cut the sheets so you have one long strip???  I'm always needing bath mats/bathroom rugs and this sounds great!!!

Thanks so much,

Erika

Not Ranked
Posts 12
sandrada wrote
on Jun 5, 2010 3:04 AM

I really really rate this bag.  It is smart, practical, and a credit to the creator! 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Jun 6, 2010 11:32 AM

Wow, what a great project. It really turned out nice. What size needles did you use? And how wide were the strips of sheets?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
ejoknits wrote
on Jun 7, 2010 3:10 PM

Can you possibly tell me how you do this?  I do a lot of wearable art and this is fantastic.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Zibeline wrote
on Jun 7, 2010 6:02 PM

This is my Knitting Green Bale Bag..  After reading the online articles about the Knitting Green Challenge, it occurred to me after my husband and I spread 46 bales of pine straw around the yard for landscaping purposes that those plastic orange bale ties, which are not biodegradable, could probably be used just like yarn.  And, voila, the Bale Bag was born this afternoon.  It is comprised of  apprioximately 167 yards of plastic baling string, knotted together to make one continuous skein of various shades of orange.  Using a set of US 15 bamboo straight needles, I CO 40 stitches and did a stockingnette stitch, then reverse stockingnette for the base, then stockingnette up the back.  I single-crochetted the sides together, knit a couple handles, and attached them.  Of course, the inside is full of the knotted ends (plastic doesn't weave in as well as wool!), but the outside is fabulous!  Here are the pics, from ball to bag.  More pictures and pattern details are available my blog, www.zibelineknits.blogspot.com.  Thanks for the challenge!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Donna6956 wrote
on Jun 8, 2010 10:45 AM

There is no real pattern.  The trick is to use single crochet to connect the poptops.  Work one row of about 20 or 24 poptops then work back and forth til you get the desired height of the bag.  Fold it in half then single crochet down one side the bottom, I use 4 single crochet in each poptop  on the bottom, then up the other side.  For the strap, 12 chains, add a poptop, 5 single crochets in the poptop.  Continue til desired length, connect to the purse then go back the other way.  For the flap either add more poptops, using the same technique or crochet a triangle down with thread and make a loop for a closure.  Sew one poptop on the middle of the purse for a button.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
JillBryant wrote
on Nov 14, 2011 12:53 AM

Ha ,It looks great ,is it heavy?

Page 5 of 5 (75 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5 | RSS