Storing Circular Needle's

This post has 21 Replies | 7 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
MarC@3 wrote
on Apr 23, 2010 9:26 PM

Does anyone have a good idea for storing circular needle"s?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
cynlefey wrote
on Apr 24, 2010 4:37 AM

I bought a decorator birdcage (not for birds) and hung my circular needles through the wire bars of the cage.  Hanging the needles helps straighten them out.  I hung the cage from the ceiling and it is esay access to the needle I need. I will send a picture if you would like me to.

cynlefey369@aol.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 24, 2010 10:58 AM

MarC@3:

Does anyone have a good idea for storing circular needle"s?

Hi,

To store the circular needles, take them out of their plastic sheath. "Unwind" them and put them in a cereral box.  Lay the box flat for storage. The height of the box is sufficient to put the "needle" part in and the width of the box is enough to ensure the needles won't kink up.  There is plenty of space in the box to store oodles of needles.  The only thing about this storage is you need to remove all your needles to find the right one.

Another method is to buy a towel holder (that you screw into the wall) and put it up where you would like your needles to be stored.  Drape your needles over the towel holder.  They are readily accessable for you to pick out the right one when you need it.

Hope this gives you some ideas,  Zoe

Not Ranked
Posts 3
msusanc wrote
on Apr 24, 2010 11:42 AM

I store mine in labelled plastic paper protectors,  and place them in a 3-ring binder.  Put a piece of scotch tape on the top middle of the protectors, so the needles don't fall out easily.

Susan

Not Ranked
Posts 2
MarC@3 wrote
on Apr 24, 2010 11:08 PM

Thanks for you storage tip. Yes i would like to see this.  So sending me a picture of your method would be grat.  Thanks  again. I love this idea.!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
katling wrote
on May 12, 2010 10:43 AM

I use a 3 ring binder with zippered pockets for each (or several) sizes.  i wright the size number on the pocket so they are easy to find.  I got the pockets at my local office store.  I keep a needle gauge in the front of the binder so I can easily double check the size.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on May 14, 2010 12:01 AM

I keep a list of my needle sizes and type.  First thing I do when I purchase a new set of needles, is add them to the list.  This way I can save time by checking my list to know if I even have the size needle I am looking for. 

I keep the needles in their individual case (keeps them clean & prevents them from tangling all together) and add them to the clear vaselike container.  I can easily see thru the glass and read the sizes on the packet.  There is no mystery because my list is handy for refererence, hung on a hook next to my clear container, or you make a hole punch thru the page and thread a piece of yarn or ribobn thru and hang it around the neck of your large jar or container.  

The needles don't stay curled or kinked up because there's a little trick to keeping them uncurled.  Do you want to know what that is? 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on May 14, 2010 6:28 AM

my hands are not good at small motions so keeping needles in their containers is awkward so my husband took a wooden hanger drilled holes in it. I mark the size of the needle above the holes. It hangs in my closet next to the shoe organizer for the balls of wool.

They hang straight so I don't have to warm them up to straighten them. Also hanging in the closet keeps my two cats from grabbing them and running all over the house with their new toy.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on May 24, 2010 1:42 PM

Ha! that's so funny - I just got a mental image of your cats running thru the house with their "toy" needles.  That would make a cute cartoon!

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 8, 2010 8:25 PM

LindaB48:

Lately every time I go to get a knitting needle out of my cabinet to start a project, the size I need isn't there.  Now, I know when I closed my store I kept 2 of every size...both in the metal and bamboo needles.  I have no hidden unfinished projects that might be holding needles, so there must be knitting mice that steal my needles in the night!  Last night I came to a spot in my project where I needed to drop down a size in needle and do you think I could find one?  No..... So today I've hauled out ALL my needles and I'm doing a written inventory of them so I'll know which ones I'm missing.  I'm tired of having to run out and find a store that has that size in stock so I can finish a project....or start a project.   Right now my livingroom floor is covered in knitting needles of all types, shapes and sizes. 

LindaB48

Hi LindaB48

I was reading your comment about searching for needles.  Awhile ago we had some input here under Stash and stash management.  Why don't you drop in for a minute and read some of the ideas posted.  I know we can relate to the frustration of not finding the needles we want when we want it.  Or worse, buying a set only to find them somewhere later on.   

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Sep 10, 2010 12:13 PM

ZaasZ,

Well, a couple days ago I dumped all my needles...circulars, straight and DP...out on the living room floor and went through them.  First I'd check the size with my little size card, then put the circular in a zip lock bag, put a label on the bag with SIZE 1, 16"  or whatever it was on the label.   Then if I came across another circ with that size, I put it in the same bag.  All of one size in a bag, no matter what the brand.   Then I wrote it down on a form I printed from the computer ....

BRAND        TYPE     SIZE    LENGTH      AMOUNT

Clover          Bamboo   4          24"                 2 (meaning 2 circs in that brand and size)     

Addi             turbo          4          24"                  1

After I had them all bagged and written on my form, I typed it into my computer, printed it out and put in a plastic page sleeve for safe keeping.  The page sleeve will be kept with my needles so I can see at a glance if I have the size I need.   We'll see how that works.    The straight needles are still in their cases that they came in.  I don't use them much any more.  The DPs are in clear tubes, again by size; so different brands together in each tube, but each tube is a different size.   I use my DPs the most so have lots of them.   I have a small cabinet with 6 drawers, so the circs are in one drawer, straights in one and DPs in one.  One drawer is extra things like stitch markers, cable needles, tape measures, various little items we use now and then with knitting and crochet. 

LindaB48

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 10, 2010 1:45 PM

ZassZ:

I keep a list of my needle sizes and type.  First thing I do when I purchase a new set of needles, is add them to the list.  This way I can save time by checking my list to know if I even have the size needle I am looking for. 

I keep the needles in their individual case (keeps them clean & prevents them from tangling all together) and add them to the clear vaselike container.  I can easily see thru the glass and read the sizes on the packet.  There is no mystery because my list is handy for refererence, hung on a hook next to my clear container, or you make a hole punch thru the page and thread a piece of yarn or ribobn thru and hang it around the neck of your large jar or container.  

The needles don't stay curled or kinked up because there's a little trick to keeping them uncurled.  Do you want to know what that is? 

Hi LindaB48, 

Sounds like you got yourself organized!  The computerized list I keep in my computer as well so I can easily make changes and print out updated sheet, which goes to hang on a hook right beside the big glass vase of straight needles.  I also include on the size list, a colums for the colors because I have quite a few in different colors and materials, i.e, metal, plastic, bamboo.   Besides the needles, I likke to keep all knitting related items organized in smaller decorative boxes that fit.  For instance, crochet hooks all together in box they fit into.  Then my stitch holders, cable holders, needle tips, stitch markers, gauges, etc in small boxes, labeled.   Have you ever seen those decorative boxes that look like a real book but are hollow inside and the lid opens up -  really a storage box.  Those are good on a bookshelf with other knitting books or even on top of a cabinet.  I like your drawers too.  Inside one closet is a built in bookcase that I use to store books and my objects described above are on it.  All nice and neat.  I'm with you, nothing more annoying than not knowing where something has been laid and waste time searching for it.  You return items to your drawers and that's where you find it when you need it again.  Surprise   Of course, you know about the hot water.  Yes

Not Ranked
Posts 3
pegnmil wrote
on Jan 28, 2011 8:00 AM

I posted this on another board and then ran across this discussion.  I just cut and pasted the answer here.   This works great for me.   I have it hanging on a cup hook on my craft wall.  For those of you with lots of duplicates you could probably string 3 or 4 needles in each 1/2 inch tube piece. 

Buy some flexible plastic tubing at the hardware or building supply store.  You'll need at least a 1/4 inch opening.  I took my largest needles with me and ended up getting tubing with 1/2 inch opening to fit the largest needle in the group.   Cut the tubing into 2 - 3 inch length pieces, one for each circular needle you have.  Lay them out side by side (not end to end) so you have a verticle row of 2 inch plastic tubing pieces.  I tied mine together using yarn and a slipknot - then reinforced the connection with a big ol' patch of hot glue.  You could thread yours together like a bead necklace or just use plain super glue.  On one end string through a loop of yarn and knot it (that's your hangar).  With a sharpie pen write on your tubing the circular needle sizes you have.  Hang your line of tubing on the wall and start threading your cirular needles through.  The knitting needles hang down looking like a modern art sculpture.  You always know the size of needle you are grabbing, and those cirular needles don't get all tangled up with the rest of the knitting items anymore.

note - if you glue the entire length of the tube it tends to keep the tubes straighter

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 28, 2011 11:50 AM

ZassZ:

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jan 29, 2011 3:59 PM

ZassZ:

ZassZ:

Hi - the secret is to put a small pot of water on.  Bring to boil.  Turn off heat.  Hold needles in a u shape over the pot.  Dip your plastic cord portion only into the water for approx. 1 min.  Take out of water and then hold needle straight from one tip end and let hang straight down.  Then run your fingertips down the length of cord.  As the plastic cools it will be straight.  Do not put the portion in water where it joins, only up to about an inch away on each side from where they join.  Once you do this they will stay straightened out and you won't have to bother with it again.  Yes  I got this tip a long time ago and have used it ever since.  Have never had a pair of circulars give me any problem after that nor have they come apart.   It really works well.   

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS