Crochet strechy Begin chain

This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
purpleraine wrote
on Apr 28, 2010 5:43 PM

I saw the knitting daily show where the instructions to do a strechy begin chain.  I thought I would remember but I didn't.  Can anyone instruct me as to how to do a strechy begin chain.  Please.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
on Dec 24, 2010 10:08 PM

I know that to make a stretchy beginning chain I usually just add some elastic thread to the chain, for socks, leg warmers, and some slippers, a few times with sweater cuffs... things like that

I'm not sure what you mean by "a stretchy chain" if you just mean that it  has -give- instead of being very tight, there is one trick that I know if you are a very Tight crocheter. 

For your beginning chain use a hook that's 1 to 2 sizes bigger than what your pattern calls for, then your chaining row will be more loose, and when you go up to the next row, go back to the correct size hook and you'll probably stay looser when you crochet.

One thing that I used to have to do is to do a bit of relaxation exercises before starting any crochet work.  Then if I'm relaxed and not worried about the pattern or mistakes, my crocheting is looser.  I've made clothing, hats, afghans etc and they are so loose now that I'm sure the guage was off slightly but as I rarely check the guage, who cares?  As long as the item you are crocheting fits, or isn't out of shape, then it's fine.  Mostly you are looking for the end result with your crochet anyway.

This link below has some ideas -regarding leg warmers- if you do really need a stretchy chain, as if the yarn were made from spandex... I like the one that says that this person uses the clear stretchy cord from jewelry making, I'd never thought of that.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf290817.tip.html

If you ever need help, feel free to email me at home pas3@verizon.net or just give me a ring on my cell at 484-529-4597-ugh-as long as you live in the US...over seas calls on our cell phone bill is a HUGE no-no to my honey, and though I kind of like seeing his face go all red and splotchy...lol...his blood pressure doesn't need it.

I live in PA-just north of the city of Reading to be more exact.   At the end of November I just finished teaching a wonderful group of women and one tween all I could about beginning crochet for my local township.  We all enjoyed each other's company so very much that we are starting the one and only Crochet Guild in our County in PA through the Crochet Guild of America... We've named our Guild Keepin' em' in Stitches-Berks Co PA... It's a fun group.

I love crochet.  I spin my own yarn, weave, do punch needle, make purses from reclaimed wool sweaters (from the good will & yard sales mostly), and have started to teach myself needle felting.  I'm a Fiber-a-holic, and as some of my many nutty friends (in the Crochet/Knit/spinning) world call me, I'm also a fiber (W)horeder...lol...  If you ever get the urge for some home spun or hand spun just give me a jingle and tell me how much, what weight, and colors and I'll do my best to get it to you.  Oh-and if you think WOOL is scratchy, you've never had homespun... Wink     The wool yarn that my Grammy used, and my husband's mother used is itchy, scratchy and very stinky---but, it's not "quality" wool from the start.  I use only THE very best...wool, alpaca, silk, cashmere(when I can afford it-ugh), angora(love it from goats more than rabbits), and I've even spun up some poodle, shitzu, and lasha for friends with those pups, mixed it with silk or angora, and given them the yarn, or rake knitted and/or crocheted them small throws, blankies, or needle felted them little replicas of their puppy babies... Big Smile

Blessings to you & all whom you love for today-Christmas, and in the upcoming New Year to come!

Anne

PS.  My little Ruby, in the picture has Fur not Hair, so I cannot  use her clippings or brushings for any yarn...mores the pity :)

Not Ranked
Posts 6
ZoeOB wrote
on Dec 25, 2010 6:28 AM

This is a pretty good video showing you how to create the chainless foundation in crochet. 

http://vodpod.com/watch/1278223-chainless-single-crochet-foundation

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Lorraine66 wrote
on Dec 27, 2010 4:22 PM

Hi Anne,

Thank you for your reply.  I like your suggestion of using a larger hook.  I am going to try.  I've watched a video about doing a strechy beg. chain but I'm not too thrilled as to how it's done.  I have used the rubber thread before for hats and it works fine.  I do tend to crochet on the tight side. 

My daughter lives in Royersford, PA.  She moved there about two years ago and just loves it.  Everyone is pretty friendly and she has made alot of friends.  I sure do miss  her and my grandchildren. 

From the sound of it, you are a very busy lady.  I also am a horder of yarn, material & knick-knacks that I think I can't live without or will use some day.  I knit also but I think crochet is so much faster and forgiving when you make a mistake. 

I will put your email address in my contacts and feel free to email me at purpleraine1@hotmail.com.  Hope it's okay to put our email address out here.  I've had mine highjacked before and it wasn't fun.

Ruby is so cute.  I'm sure she is spoiled!  Thanks again and thanks for the chat.

Lorraine

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Lorraine66 wrote
on Dec 27, 2010 4:26 PM

Thank you for the reply.  I will look at this video. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
jm855 wrote
on Jan 24, 2011 6:07 AM

THANK YOU so much!  I knew this method existed but I've never seen it  described in detail.  I have some yarn I want to make a light airy spring shawl out of, but when I tried to chain base it made it look awful.  Now I can make my spring shawl and it will look the way I want it to.  Thanks for posting that link.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS