Plymouth Covington Yarn

This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
LindaM@2 wrote
on Apr 28, 2010 8:08 PM

The Gamin Tank pattern in the latest issue of Interweave Knits (Summer 2010) calls for Plymouth Covington cotton yarn.  I have googled it and cannot find any source of this yarn on the internet.  Plymouth Yarn company doesn't list it.  Does anyone know where to get this yarn?  Is it possible it doesn't exist (gasp)?  I know that I can substitute but wanted to get started on this project right away and was hoping I could order the yarn online.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
bklpurl wrote
on Apr 29, 2010 5:59 PM

Hi there, I was looking for the same yarn when I came across your request. I found some Plymouth yarn on a site called "Annie's Attic". They had quite a selection, mind you it said nothing about Covington. It may be that it is the wrong yarn or it may be that they dropped the Covington in the name. (I am going on the ladder) Anyway here is the link.

http://www.anniesattic.com/yarn_and_thread/list.html?cat_id=436

I also found plymouthyarn.com

You can always contact them and ask were they formerly know as "Plymouth Covington". At any rate, I hope this helps you. I have decided to make the sweater with another yarn, if you like I will let you know how it turns out.

All the best

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
LindaM@2 wrote
on Apr 30, 2010 7:43 AM

Thanks.  I found those sites also.  I will see if they can tell me if the yarn was retained with a different name.  I'll be interested to hear how your substitution turns out.  I often substitute yarns but it does take some time and calculation and I was so anxious to start the sweater I was hoping to be able to order the specified yarn pronto!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
monica@33 wrote
on May 4, 2010 11:50 AM

I agree with you, Linda. I've Googled it, too, and I believe there is an error in the yarn name or in the producer. Kind of aggravating, because if you had the original stockinette gauge of the yarn, you could substitute, but the gauge listed is for rib stitch. Let's hope the magazine corrects or explains!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
colleen2328 wrote
on May 12, 2010 8:01 AM

Plymouth Covington does exist, however, it is not listed on their website and I'm not sure why.  I came across these posts after trying to search for it online.  I recently purchased this yarn and it was new to the store.  It is fantastic and I was looking to see if I could find more online.  Perhaps they have not updated their site???

Not Ranked
Posts 1
paulasumien wrote
on May 12, 2010 9:02 AM

I have not yet seen the pattern that you speak of, but the yarn is on the Let's Knit.com for $7.95 a skein.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 312
sjc wrote
on Jun 2, 2010 9:42 AM

I just purchased the pattern Covington Ruffled Henley #1830 and the Covington yarn to make it at my local yarn shop yesterday.  You might be able to order it from there.  She's carrying it in off-white, lavender and red though I bought alot of the lavender yesterday.  Did have the green but it sold out.  It's $7.50 for 184 yd..  It's nice and soft and the shop owner says she throws it in the washer and dryer, no shrinkage.  It's at:

Witty Knitters   8269 Hwy 35, Bigfork, MT  59911   406-837-5648

Hope this helps.

Sherry

Not Ranked
Posts 2
ConnieP@11 wrote
on Jul 4, 2010 6:13 PM

I also bought some of the Covington in a beautiful blue, not knowing what I would do with the four skeins.  I just bought it because I loved it.  Well, wouldn't you know, I was looking through some of my Interweave knits magazines and came across the Gamine Tank and I loved the pattern.  When I saw that it took the exact yarn that I had just purchased, I knew it was meant to be!!  Keep looking because it is worth the search!  Oh, I forgot, they had the green and it was also beautiful but I just made two garments in green and I thought I'd better try another color!  She had just received this yarn and the rep was wearing a sweater made out of it and the shop owner said that it was just lovely and draped so nicely.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jul 4, 2010 6:58 PM

LindaM@2:
Does anyone know where to get this yarn?

Hi Linda,

Check out this site for your dream yarn!  It is in the middle of the top row.  Good luck!  Click on it to take you to the color swatches!

http://www.letsknit.com/dept.cfm?dept=3

Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 1
LexaM@3 wrote
on Dec 27, 2010 10:50 AM

since this could be the new knit along - you can get it online at royal yarns.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
CaroleB@15 wrote
on Feb 2, 2011 10:45 AM

I purchased Classic Elite cotton from Peru ("seedling" organic cotton). 41/2 stitches to the inch.

I have been wondering about the gauge direction "9 stitches in 2x2 rib. I am now getting 5 stitches to the inch on size 5.

I am wondering what suze needles others are using to get gauge.

Thanks,

Not Ranked
Posts 1
DagmarZ wrote
on Mar 9, 2011 8:25 PM

I have been looking for Covington yarn, also.  I did find it on Plymouth Yarn.com, but they don't post the price.  I have to order it from my local yarn shop.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS