Printed Silk Cardigan from Spring 2008

This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
KarinB wrote
on May 24, 2008 5:11 AM

Hello :)!

I have a couple questions about this pattern. I've been asked to make this in a 100% merino sportweight yarn, which behaves radically different from silk, I can achieve the right tension by downsizing my needles, but I don't think the end result will look anything like the photo. I'd like to suggest an alternate yarn and have a feeling that a soft cotton (ie: Rowan 4 ply, etc.), or a blend (bamboo, silk or cotton) would be better to duplicate the drape that 100% silk has. There is a possibility of using 100% alpaca, still wouldn't be my first choice, but with less "sproing", does anyone think that could be made to work?

Any help / suggestions much appreciated (it's hard knitting for someone else :) !)

ETA:  Just to be sure, the measurements noted on the drawings are after-blocked, correct?

Karin 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
Lana wrote
on Jun 4, 2008 10:03 PM

What about a light weight cashmere blend? That is usually quite delicate. But bamboo would have more of a sheen. Why don't you make some swatches of the pattern in different yarn scraps that you might have and present those to your recipient to see she can recognize the difference in hand and texture. It might be easier to visualize that way. Also, Sandi has a new post about drape so maybe that will help too.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
KarinB wrote
on Jun 6, 2008 5:04 PM

Cashmere would be gorgeous - I really like the idea of doing different swatches - I agree it's easier for a non-knitter to actually see how the fabric looks. I smiled when I saw the post about drape - so true!  The wool version doesn't look terrible, but I'm hoping I can convince the recipient to trust me on this one.  Thanks for your help Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bill Z wrote
on Jan 7, 2009 10:22 PM

Hi Karin,

This yarn could be workable, 70% merino wool 30% cashmere, 48s/2Nm yarn on cone, it is good for 16gg knit, light weight for spring/summer, we did lot of printed (discharge print) sweaters like this. 45 colors are available in stock service, color numbers begin with NW, see links: http://cashmere.ning.com/photo, feel free to ask if any questions.

printed cashmere hoody cardigan

Best regards,

Bill from Inner Mongolia of China

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS