double knitting with two color patterns

This post has 16 Replies | 6 Followers rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 5
frogstitch wrote
on Jun 9, 2010 4:39 PM

I've been  looking and can't seem to find any patterns for double knitting with two colors (reversible?). I've been anxiuos to make some blankets for my grandchildren.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jun 9, 2010 5:20 PM

frogstitch:
can't seem to find any patterns for double knitting with two colors (reversible?).

Hi frogstitch,

Here is the site for a book on this technique and it has patterns in it.  It needs to be bought but perhaps if you got the name and author, you could check at your library for it.  There are other books listed as well for the double knitting.

http://www.amazon.com/Double-Knitting-Reversible-Two-Color-Designs/dp/0942018281

Good luck with this,  Zoe

PS  Have you done any double knitting?  If by chance you haven't, here is a site for teaching it to you.  It includes the video and the free pattern for you to try out.  http://www.knittinghelp.com/patterns/free-knitting-patterns-heart-double-knit-hot-pad

http://www.tamemymind.com/blog/2007/03/20/reversible-afghan-blanket-patterns-crocheted-or-knitted.php  This lists many patterns for the double knitted blanket/afghans as well as for crocheted one.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
frogstitch wrote
on Jun 9, 2010 6:49 PM

Thanks ever so much. I've only played with it a little. The only thing I found was the knitting help-heart. I'm excited to check out the other two though.I ordered a book from knitpicks, Reversible Knitting by Lynne Barr. I think I'm going to try the Lice (could have picked a better name) jacket. Again thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jun 9, 2010 8:09 PM

Hi frogstitch,

Glad I could help you out.  I have only done fair isle knitting which is a little different than the double knitting technique you are wanting to do.  I may have to give this a "go and try it out project."

I like knit picks.  They have a huge sale on yarns right now.  I love their videos for teaching the knitting.  I have referred to them many times just to confirm something or check out a new stitch.

Zoe

Not Ranked
Posts 5
frogstitch wrote
on Jun 10, 2010 7:44 AM

I've really only played with it so a jacket might be a big jump off.  I'm impressed with the fair isle, but I live in florida and everything I've seen is so heavy. However on different colors, a very dear brother-in-law has requested a pullover with a fish on the back. So....I'm also looking for a graph with a fish. 

I love knit picks. I have the harmony wood set and the dps. I will be buried with these needles, I love them that much. Along with the book I am also waiting(very impatiently) for the new acrylic changeables they came out with last fall. They should be here today or tomorrow - YEAH!  I can't wait to try them.  I also love the 4" dps if your into socks. I had to try a pair just so I could use the cute little needles.

I really appreciate your help, have you been knitting a long time? What are you working on?

frogstitch

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jun 10, 2010 12:37 PM

Hi frogstitch,

I have been knitting for about 40 years, I started out when I was a young child.  I started out with a pair of red socks and I completed one sock, which I still have.

I too like the knit picks.  Another favorite of mine is knitting help.  http://www.knittinghelp.com/    They have so many helpful things on this site.  Go check it out. 

I am working on socks.  They are a quick easy project and are my thing.  I don't enjoy long projects--as they take too long to do.

The fair isle knitting can be done with light yarn as well as the heavy weight yarns. 

Chuckles about this:   to "frog"  your knitting means to rip it out or rip it back to where you made a mistake and then reknit it.  I hope you didn't choose your knitting name with this in mind??   LOL

Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 5
frogstitch wrote
on Jun 15, 2010 9:51 AM

I started when I was 15 on a sweater for my boyfriend - we broke up - so I guess that old wives tale is true. That was 40+ years ago. I'm sure, I used  Red Heart Yarn. I've taken many breaks though, so it's not as much as experience as it sounds.

I recieved my book,  I think I should have ordered the one you suggested and probably will if I can't find it at the library. I still like the style and in cotton I think it will make a great little jacket for Florida. I love getting lost in a big project. My last was a sweater  coat by Debbie Bliss.

I think I am catching that sock fever. I hear it's really going around. I made my first pair and you're right it was fun. I think I'll probably keep a pair on needles. They are so easy to take with you.

Yes, you're right about the light yarn, I really like to stick to cotton and fingering weight is my favorite to work with.

Do you belong to any groups? I had thought that would be fun.

Yes, I know about the "frogstitch". iT'S ONE OF MY MOST USED STITCHES. I LIKE TO KNIT, JUST LIKE MY HUSBAND LIKES TO GOLF. HE COMES HOME WITH NOTHING....IT'S THE PROCESS.  EVEN WHEN i'VE MADE A MISTAKE AND HAVE TO "RIP IT OUT" I STILL ENJOYED A ROUND OF KNITTING AND I WILL ENJOY GETTING IT RIGHT, I EVEN LIKE RIPPING OUT. THERE DOESN'T ALWAYS HAVE TO BE A PRODUCT THE PROCESS IS WHAT I LOVE.  AND IF IT'S REALLY BAD, MY DOG ALWAYS LOVES A NEW BLANKY. LOL HAPPY KNITTING!

FROGSTITCH

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jun 15, 2010 10:34 AM

hi frogstitch and zoe,

i;m interested in double sided or reversible cable knitting. have either of you seen or done anything like that? i saw a picture of a cabled roomy coat that was reversible and it amazed me. how do you do that? as if i need to add more things to my list......but the concept really intrigues me.

thanks!

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jun 15, 2010 1:06 PM

Hi Sharon,

Check out the site for the knitting help in my first reply to frogstitch. The knitting help site gives you detailed instructions and a video as to how to double knit.  To start they show how to make a pot holder/hot pot mat.  (I don't think that there is a double knit for socks!  hehehe)  Bookmark the knitting help site as it is a very very valuable tool for us knitters.  Sometimes it may just jog your memory as to a particular stitch.  I need to check out how to do the right twisted stitch as per the latest socks AndreaW posted for me to check out.  Now it is another pair that I must and have to do.  Tooo many socks to knit and so little yarn! or time! or something.  I feel a great deal of destressing is needed for me!   (chuckles, cause I knit to destress!)

Must go knit, Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jun 15, 2010 1:57 PM

hi zoe,

i just checked your post and thanks! the book on reversible knitting looks really interesting. the pic of the green jacket is what i was talking about. reversible cable patterns not reversible color.  i wonder if solina knows about this? haha! something else to learn.

yes it can get overwhelming when there are too many patterns and thoughts running through your head. i am in that same place right now! and trying to get a baby outfit together by fri. yikes!

back to "destressing" for me also!

chat later,

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on Jun 16, 2010 11:25 PM

Hi Sharon...

Reversible cables intrigue me too...although I haven't had the occasion to try them yet. I've read several articles/ blog posts on them...till I understood "how". Basically they are ribbed. I do have a page printed off somewhere here w/ the stitch patt for one. When I locate it...I'll post the link for you. I've always intended to try it out on a cotton cloth...maybe this will provide the push.  The green cabled cover sweater that Zoe's link led us to is really nice.  If I forget...give me a nudge.

The only 2 color reversible knitting I've done was on the machine....way back when I first got one + was trying everything.

Take Care ..... Andrea

ps:  Just thought of another site for reversible cables.....free patts too!!! http://www.cometosilver.com/patterns/index.htm

Both the Palindrome Hat + the scarf have reversible cables.  There is also a sock patt...not free. I think w/o reversible cables.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
EmegaMart20 wrote
on Nov 5, 2011 7:06 AM

I am interested in double sides cable knitting.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
on Nov 14, 2011 5:15 AM

I have never tried double knitting with two colors, but with a single color, it's a lot like ribbing, in that you're moving the thread back and forth with every stitch. It can be pretty tedious but it does produce a nice appearance and it's definitely heavy.

Thanks a lot.
Rachel Rollins

Not Ranked
Posts 1
owensnan wrote
on Nov 27, 2011 7:23 PM

I recently came across a site Lorain's Double-knits and she has many patterns she has created.  Hope this helps.  

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS