Needle Question

This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 12
4inleo wrote
on Jun 15, 2010 8:43 AM

I'm just getting ready to start the Elemental Boatneck Sweater by Hannah Fettig.  I have not knitted a sweater with circular needles before.  It calls for 16" and 26" needles sizes 3 and 4.  I recently purchased the Hiya Circular needle set which has 16 and 24" needles.  Can I work it on a 24" or will the stitches be too squished?

Thanks for helping a newbie!

Sue

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jun 15, 2010 9:09 AM

4inleo:
It calls for 16" and 26" needles sizes 3 and 4.  I recently purchased the Hiya Circular needle set which has 16 and 24" needles. 

Hi Sue,

I don't think you have anything to worry about here.  The cable part will only be shorter by 2 inches.  It has been my experience that a pattern will state a certain size (length) of needle simply because that is what was bought to knit it with.  Perhaps the needles the pattern was using only came in that length because of who manufactured that needle.  Different companies make different lengths of their circular needles.  There is no standard length in that regards.  If you find that you are running out of room on the needle, you can always make another purchase for the longer needle and simply transfer the stitches to it.  In the meantime, there may be no need to purchase the extra needles. 

How do you find the Hiya needles to knit with?  There are so many companies making needles right now it is hard to know which are better or not.  A person needs to benefit from the experiences of other knitters in this regards.

Happy knitting, Zoe

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS