Has anyone seen the pattern for...

This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
Hilarie10 wrote
on Jun 20, 2010 11:29 AM

...the cute cinnamon colored shawl that goes over your shoulders, wraps under your arms and BUTTONS in the back?  I see a picture of it on the last pagt of the current Interweave Knits Summer issue but can't seem to find it on the knitting daily.com site.

Help? 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
dbaines wrote
on Jun 20, 2010 6:56 PM

It's called the Every Way Wrap (by Okmin Park) and it's in the Fall 2009 IK magazine (page 48).  It's probably too soon to be uploaded to as a pattern you can buy, but you can find pictures of it (and see other people's questions/posts about it) if you search the Knitting Daily site.  Have to have the magazine for the actual pattern though.

Danielle

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jun 20, 2010 9:00 PM

Hi Hilarie,

The pattern is here:  http://www.knittingdaily.com/media/p/32099.aspx     Hope you like it.  Are you planning on knitting it? and for whom?  It would look very pretty in other colors as well.  Maybe a tweed yarn too.

Smiles, Zoe

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
Hilarie10 wrote
on Jun 21, 2010 1:08 PM

Perfect - thanks, ladies!  Yes, I'm thinking about knitting it but now that I see it up close, I am terrified.  I thought it would be a good "idiot knitting project" but it has cables......scary stuff for a relatively newby knitter. Embarrassed   Still might be brave and give it a try but in a different color....autumn colors look absolutely awful on me.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jun 21, 2010 1:17 PM

Hi Hilarie,

Just a thought, you don't have to put in all those cables if you don't want to.  Just don't cable, use an ordinary stocking stitch instead.  Get someone to coach you along with the pattern from your town.  Do you have a knitting club/group in town?  or do you know another knitter?

You can take the number of stitches it calls for you to cast on and just do garter stitch for the whole length of the wrap.  Garter stitch (knit every row, every side) will not curl on the sides or the ends.  Put in the button holes and buttons just as the pattern calls for.

Chuckles and good luck with this.  Let me know what you think.  Myself, if I were to do this I would make it apple green or dark purple as those colors are good on me.  You need to go with the colors you blend in with for yourself.

Happy knitting, Zoe

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
Hilarie10 wrote
on Jun 21, 2010 2:20 PM

Great minds think alike! I could MAKE this into an idiot project pretty quickly if I had a mind to.  The buttons are what really caught my eye...I get tired of fooling with shawls and wraps that fall off and won't stay pinned on correctly.

Plenty of knitters here (San Diego area) if I decide to take on the cables though and I bet it would be fun to learn.  Bright apple green would be terrific - Idubiously bought a kit with that color yarn (the only color it came in) for a shawl  and got rave reviews on the color.  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jun 21, 2010 3:21 PM

Hi Hilarie,

Yea, great minds do think alike and knitters seldome differ! in their goals.  You could put one or two cables across the "front" of the wrap if you liked.  There is not a knitter alive that has never altered a pattern or adjusted it to his/her liking.  That is the beauty of knitting.  For myself, I am not one who is able to tolerate sleeves on my blouses/shirts and I very rarely ever wear a sweater.  I would make this for my Mom as she loves her sweaters, if I was so inclined to make it.

Happy knitting, Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 984
AndreaW wrote
on Jun 21, 2010 4:12 PM

Hi....

Just wanted to add a couple things if if I may. Zoe...I think it's only the patt correction @ that link...not the whole patt. I think you can only get the patt in the magazine. @ least that's what I'm seeing. Is there an e-version of that issue yet?

Also...if you switch to all garter st you REALLY need to do a swatch. Cables pull in the fabric width...garter st widens it...the complete opposite. Normally gauge isn't a huge issue w/ a shawl. However this one actually fits the body as it bottons on. The patt comes in 4 szs to allow for this.

Cabling isn't really as hard as it looks. Actually on p 32/ 33 of this issue there is a "how-to" on cabling w/o a cable needle.

It's a really pretty/ unique shawl...but in this case: size (gauge) does matter!!! It's a lot of knitting to do if it's not going to fit. If you take the "sts per inch" of your swatch....then multiply that by the finished width you need the shawl to be for your sz...you should get the # of sts you will have to work over in your chosen st patt.

Take Care.... Andrea

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
Hilarie10 wrote
on Jun 22, 2010 7:56 AM

Hmmm...I hadn't even considered the "cables pulling in and the garter widening out" issue.....very good point.  And I definitely DO want it to fit me or I will never wear it.  Okay, major decision made.  I will get the magazine and try my hand at the actual cable pattern - my skills are due for a good stretch.

While poking around on the website I saw the Christmas balls with cable-ing - how cute is that?!  And the pattern was free so I think I will do a trial run on a cabled Christmas ball just to make sure I am not in over my head and then dive into the wrap. 

Like I really needed TWO more projects ! but that's the story of my life........Big Smile   Fundamentally I just really need to retire because this dang work stuff is really impinging on my knitting time...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jun 22, 2010 9:37 AM

Hi Hilarie,

I think the magazine is all sold out.   I did a little searching and a number of people have done this wrap.  I gather from their comments (Ravelry and other sites) that the pattern chart is not accurate and they experienced a lot of problems trying to get the cables done.  They said even the corrected version is not right.  I am not trying to discourage you, only to let you know what you are in for re: Easy Way Wrap.

If you check on Ravelry and here, maybe someone is willing to sell you their pattern or the magazine?  You can also check at your library for this issue and borrow it.

Having said all that, you can take the basic design of it going over your chest, under your arms and buttoning in the back and use another wrap pattern for it.  The wrap buttoning in the back is an individual thing anyways because everyone's size is different.  So to make it fit you, you have to juggle the pattern as to how long you make the wrap.  Someone on another site suggested that you take a bath towel/beach towel and wrap it the same way around you as this wrap in order to find out how long you need to make the wrap.

Happy knitting, Zoe

Not Ranked
Posts 2
sandyshimp wrote
on Jun 24, 2010 2:21 AM

Thanks for providing this information.I have bookmarked your post and reply you soon.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS