Zaol knitting pattern

This post has 24 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Trishaust wrote
on Jun 26, 2010 6:44 AM

Was sitting down re-reading my Interweave Knits magazine Fall 2009 issue and I fell in love with a gorgeous pale blue cardigan on page 73.  It is an advertisement for Zaol wool from Korea.  I have checked their website for this pattern to no avail, I have also tried a number of knitting stores here in Australia and overseas, again to no avail.

Does anyone know where I could obtain this beautiful pattern?

Hope someone out there can help me.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jun 26, 2010 8:11 AM

Hi Trishaust,

I don't know about the pattern but the yarn you can buy from this site:  http://stores.localneedle.com/-strse-Yarn-by-Manufacturer-cln-Zaol/Categories.bok

The yarn sounds wonderful but it is wool and I can't knit with wool (allergies).  Good luck with that pattern.  What is the name of it?  I can try to find it if I knew the name of the pattern.

Good luck, Zoe

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Trishaust wrote
on Jun 27, 2010 12:14 AM

Thank you Zoe for your lovely reply.  First time I have posted anything on here and it was exciting to receive such a prompt reply.

I wish I knew the name of the cardigan, there is a picture in Fall 2009 edition of Interweave Knits mag, not sure if you have that one.   I shall try to explain the design.  Three quarter sleeve cardigan with cable and lace edges, peplum bottom that is 3 x 3 stocking rib, then it is caught with a tie at front just below waist. The front edges/lapels are knitted in honeycomb with the same lace edging.  It is absolutely beautiful.  If I was confident enough I would just go for it with a similar pattern and fudge the design as I went along. 

I shall look on the website that you gave me, who knows maybe they might have it.  Oooh, it would be bliss if they did.

I have the same problem with itchy skin and wool, isn't it wonderful that now there is such a wide range of alternatives out there.  One of my favourite wool houses (Bendigo Wool) has an Alpaca yarn  which is devine to knit with and I don't itch. 

I would be ecstatic if you were able to locate the pattern.  Hope you are enjoying your summer? over there, we are in middle of winter and think that this year we will get snow.  Bit of a novelty over here it is, as it snows infrequently.

Cheers, Trish

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jun 27, 2010 8:07 AM

Hi Trish,

I am glad for you about the alpaca wool.  I never thought about it before, but have you asked on Ravelry about this cardigan?  Many on that site also knit from Interweave Knits.  Perhaps they have a pattern?  Just a thought.

Where are you from?  I live in Northwestern Ontario, Canada.  Snow is the number one thing happening in our winters besides the freezing cold!  hehe

How long have you been knitting?  and what method do you knit?  I learned to knit at age 10 and I learned continental style knitting with yarn held in my left hand.  I do knit the English way too with yarn held in my right hand but mostly only use this when I do fair isle knitting with two or more colors.  Then I hold the main color in my left hand the other colors in my right.

What do you like to knit?  I love to make socks.  They are quick and easy and really take no thought to make.  There is always a pair going on my needles.

Knitting is happening, ZoeSmile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jun 27, 2010 8:15 AM

http://www.knittingdaily.com/media/p/41002.aspx

Hi Trish,   Is this one close to what you are looking for?  I know the yarn is different but if it is close in design, then I would have a better idea of what to look for.  I shall post more for you.

Smiles, Zoe

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Trishaust wrote
on Jun 28, 2010 6:53 AM

Hi Zoe,  My daughter showed me how to place a link so you could see what the pattern looked like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufo_fiend/4739734162/

I am a member of Ravelry too, and yes I have looked and posted an inquiry there.   I did find a post of a Korean lady who had knitted this cardigan and shared the photo, yarn details but said it was a personal pattern.  I am going to email her, wish me luck.

I too have been knitting from a young age, 8 years old, my scottish grandmother taught me to knit.  I am a left hander, she showed incredible patience when I think about it. I knit holding and using my yarn in my right hand, English style?  The first thing I knitted was a t-shirt for my Sandi doll (like a dark haired Barbie doll). I was so proud, once I had accomplished the knitting side of things, Granny taught me to crochet via the mirror.  I love to knit, crochet, sew, quilt and smock.  I started knitting socks two years ago and wondered why it had taken me so long to try it. I have on my needles at the moment, my Uni jumper, this is a funnel neck ribbed jumper that I started whilst waiting for my middle daughter who is studying at uni in Melbourne.  She is studying BioMed (I think it is called PreMed over there), and has not got her licence (goes for it in 2 weeks.)  Maddie needed to build up her logged driving hours (over here learner drivers must log 120 driving hours before completing their test). On some days it was not worth driving home, so I decided to have a knitting project, hence the uni jumper.  We laugh about it at home, I have completed the back and 3/4 of the front, it is strictly knitted on uni days only.  When it is finished I will post a picture.

I live in New Gisborne, Victoria, Australia, a small rural town approx 1 hour north of Melbourne. We are nestled at the base of Mount Macedon and its ranges, very pretty area.   I am a hairdresser who works from home, married with three beautiful daughters aged 24, 18 & 12 years, one very spoilt black pug and an extremely spoilt ginger cat!  We have just finished debutante season over here, so I was a little busy with hairups and masses of curl making, don't think I want to look at a curling iron for awhile. LOL. 

Do you know it is lovely to write to you, never done that electronically before.......pause.......sorry about that husband just messaged me from work  to say he enjoyed tea tonight.  Easy man to please, spag bolognaise.   Well I shall sign off and send a message to the lady from Korea, do you agree that the cardigan is pretty?  Talk again, cheers, Trish

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jun 28, 2010 10:07 AM

hi trish,

i agree with you - the pattern is absolutely stunning! i have been searching myself this morning but so far no luck.

please let me know if you find it. i would love to tackle this project.

thanks and happy knitting,

sharon

p.s. i live in new jersey, usa near the ocean. nice chatting to someone from melbourne!

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Trishaust wrote
on Jun 28, 2010 6:15 PM

Hi Sharon,

I know isn't it a gorgeous pattern and I am amazed that the pattern has been so elusive.  Late last night I messaged the Korean lady asking for a copy of the pattern, IF (a big if) she is generous enough to email me one, I shall most definitely pass it on to you.   New Jersey, is that on the east coast of USA?  Are you enjoying your summer?   We are in middle of winter here, so it is a bit nippy in the mornings, winter woollies all round.  Have you got a knitting project on the go at the moment?  I was rummaging around in our spare room and found a jumper that I had started for my mum but ran out of wool, did not factor in that if you make the jumper longer, you may need to buy extra wool!  Hence it was thrown in cupboard in disgust, tried all shops over here but the wool has been discontinued, oh well, looks like unravelling and start again.  Maybe I will knit her a vest instead.  Mum likes her tops covering her backside, bless her.

Wish me luck with the cardigan and I shall wish you luck too! 

Talk again, cheers, Trish

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jun 28, 2010 7:19 PM

Hi Trish,

Just saw the cardigan and it is to die for!!!!!!!!!   It looks like the back peplum is like a K5, P2 on the RS, and then P5, K2 on the WS.  I am assuming this is knit back and forth across the back and then each side and the sleeves are knitted in separate pieces.  The smooth part of the cardigan sides will be stockinette stitch.  The part on the front between the "lace edge" and the stockinette stitch looks like it is a moss stitch (double seed)??.  Then there is a single cable up each side.    It looks like the lace edgeing is from stitches picked up along the front and then knit "sideways" from the rest of the cardigan??  The cardigan is lovely.  I shall continue to look for it.

The jumper aka vest sounds like an interesting project.  Is it possible that you can buy the same type of wool in the same weight close enough to the color you have already knit, and just change up the stitch pattern?  This would off set the color difference enough not to make a huge sight difference or use another color as a segway into the new color?  Of course you would have to provide a little finishing touch with the new color around the neckline and sleeves.  Just trying another way in case you really don't want to frog it.  What is the name of the wool and have you tried looking on the internet for it?

My robins sing "cheer cheer cheer ee oh" up here.  Do you have robins?   Zoe

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Trishaust wrote
on Jun 29, 2010 3:57 AM

Hi Zoe,  I know isn't it. That is an idea for jumper, it is full of cables, honeycomb, etc, bit like an aran, it would be a shame to unravel all that hard work.  The wool is by Jo Sharp DK, she has a shade similar, you have given me incentive to finish it.  Right after I finish the uni jumper.  Alas, no to robins, but we have rosellas over here which sing beautifully.  We have silver birch trees down our driveway and along side the house and they love to sit in them, be it winter or summer, and nibble on the long seed pods. Rosellas are a beautiful crimson, blue & green colour, striking really.  Oh and we have willy wagtails, little birds with tail feathers that stand up like peacocks, only not colourful, and they are busy little chaps.  They trill.  You know this cardigan has become an obsession with me, I must locate pattern.  Hopefully the original knitter will contact me.  Take care, enjoy your robins they sound gorgeous. Cheers, Trish

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jun 29, 2010 7:51 AM

hi trish and zoe,

i emailed interweave last night and asked if they had access to "the pattern". i will let you know if  i hear anything back. i can see why you are obsessed trish, it is really, really pretty. love the detail and the fit. please email a copy to me if you do get one. i am yogama39@aol.com. and if it is for sale, please email the details. i am more than willing to buy this pattern! i am stopping at a couple of knitting shops this weekend and i will bring it with me and see if anyone knows something.

new jersey is on the east coast, just below new york. i live about 1/2 mile from the atlantic ocean and try to walk there every day. something about the salt air is so good for me. it has been very hot and humid here - 90's - and no rain. i ripped out a large area of my front yard this spring and planted lots and lots of perennials and flowering bushes. i am so tired of watering them! but it does look really pretty. we have some interesting birds here also. cardinals, scarlet tanengers, baltimore oriels - they have such a pretty song. we also have wrens that try to build nests in my outside lights every year.

your sweater sounds so nice, lots of hard work and effort. do not rip it out. i met zoe on another thread and she is so knowledgable. comes up with really interesting ideas. i think she is onto something - you could save your sweater if you add a little different stitch to separate the new color yarn? also - did you make the sleeves yet? if not you could turn it into a vest. good luck with your uni. love that story.

right now i am working on a few different things. some baby clothes for my neice. just finished a summer hat. it was a free downloadable pattern from berocco yarns from last summer. really cute brimmed hat. fun to do. i am also working on a lacy bolero in bright turquoise to go over some summer sundresses. i am also very interested in delicate lace knitting. i have several patterns i am trying to decide on. i also bought a book on estonian lace knitting from the annual knitting daily "hurt book" sale. you should check that out. i think they extended the sale. the books are "hurt" and therefore discounted. there might be a huge shipping fee to autralia though. i also like to knit socks, which is where i met zoe. ann budd had a free pattern called "seduction socks" in the interweave free patterns. it's from spring 2007. i downloaded that one and think it will be my next pair of socks. the name sounds so enticing - haha!

happy knitting and good luck searching for that patetrn!

sharon

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Lisa Ellis wrote
on Jul 2, 2010 10:27 PM

I've been drooling over that cardigan too.  So beautiful! 

I just love the ads in Interweave and the other knitting mags.  I've found some nice patterns, yarns, and websites from them.  I'm currently working on the hiker's waistcoat from Kelbourne Woolens that you can see on page 101 of Interweave's Fall 2009 magazine.  Mine is in a heathery green colour instead of the charcoal in the ad.  Wool vests are a year-round item here in northern B.C.

I wish you luck in finding that cardigan pattern! 

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Trishaust wrote
on Jul 4, 2010 6:22 AM

Hi Lisa,

Isn't it the most loveliest cardigan?  Still have not been able to locate the pattern as yet.  I am sure I will.  BC, is that British Columbia?  I only found out about Interweave magazine last year and subscribed, it is wonderful, really opens up your eyes to all the beautiful things you can create.  I peeked at your vest on page 101, stunning, will you post a picture in the gallery once it is finished.  The colour sounds gorgeous, and yes, I can imagine you would need warmth over there.  We get snow, infrequently, sometimes it flutters down and melts quickly, sometimes it will build up.  I remember one year, the girls made a snowman in our driveway and it lasted four days!  Lol, bet yours last a lot longer! Do you knit alot?  I always have plenty of projects on the go, just finished a pair of spiral socks in a pretty varigated shade of pink, for myself this time! 

Smiles,

Trish

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Trishaust wrote
on Jul 4, 2010 6:43 AM

Hi Sharon,

Thank you for looking so hard for the pattern, if I get a hold of one, will most definitely send one your way.  Your garden sounds delightful, we have just been weeding our gardens out front, pruned standard roses and geraniums.  Our daffodil bulbs have finally started to sprout, they make quite a show together with our hyacinths and tulips. Been too cold here to do too much.  Had to bath our little pug, he was a little smelly and he likes to come inside during the day, he has a new royal blue fur lined jacket he wears at night.  Such a sweetheart he is.  Love the name of the socks, I have just finished knitting myself a pair of socks (compliments of Patons free internet patterns), they are called spiral socks, most comfortable and they don't fall down, and most importantly they are  easy to knit.  How lovely, lace knitting, never been brave enough to tackle one of those. My granny was from Scotland, and she could knit shawls that you could draw through a wedding ring. I promise myself that I will make one for each of my girls hope chests.  When my middle daughter was born in 1991, I bought a beautiful book which was filled with knitting, crocheting, smocking and sewing projects for babies, I am sorry to say, I have not made one thing from it.  Decided that I would start a Grandmother's Hope Chest x 3 (one for each daughter) and fill it with all things made by me.  Isn't it lovely that magazines like Interweave place and advertise free patterns as well as their featured ones, I love to curl up on the couch with a big mug of peppermint tea and read it cover to cover. In my head I have knitted half the book, in reality I might manage one.  Have a lovely week over there, talk soon,

(*_*) Trish

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jul 5, 2010 12:39 PM

hi trish,

so interesting to hear your weather on the other side of the world! we are so hot and dry here now. in the 90's and no rain in the forecast. we are now on mandatory water restrictions. not washing cars, not watering lawns. i don't do that anyway, but i do water my garden. it is a little droopy now.

your granny sounds so talented. i am sure you have that same talent in you, judt finding the time to work on projects is all part of the challenge! i'm with you on the hope chests. i have one daughter (and 2 sons). i also thought i would make beautiful things to pass down. somehow the years went by and we were having too much fun living. now thety are grown, i am trying to get back to my ideas of heirlooms. i do knit lots of baby things. no grandbabies for me yet, so i am practicing on friends and my neice. babies things are so much fun as they are small and fun and easily finished.

your socks sound so nice. i am collecting sock patterns and deciding which one to make first. so many look really nice. i have decided on pink ribbon socks. but first i must finish a lace bolero i am working on. a bit frustrating as the pattern is not working for me. i have finally figured out what i am doing wrong, or where the pattern is written incorrectly, and now off to try again.

i never did hear back from interweave on the email i sent regarding "the pattern". i did ask a few knitting shops and they had no connections. i have heard from others online that there is a lot of interest and people are looking. so if it is available, hopefully we will hear!

enjoy your day and stay warm! here we are saying stay cool!

sharon

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS