I cant understand this pattern.

This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
sunnymama84 wrote
on Jun 26, 2010 11:29 PM

Can someone please help? Im trying to make the art lace bag from the winter issue 2009 and Im so lost. It has a chart and instructions for specific rows. so at one point it calls for binding off 21 stiches which leaves 6 stiches. but on the chart on the next row you supposed to work 22 stiches with only 3 pick ups. It says to space your 3 stiches throughout the row and I tried that but it still dosent come out right. Im sOOOO frustrated, can anyone give me any help with what I should do?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on Jun 27, 2010 1:33 PM

Hi....

I haven't made this bag...but I seem to remember helping someone else w/ it awhile back. So I'll try to help you figure it out.

I think maybe you are just mis-reading a couple things. On row #21 you BO the 21 sts as the directions tell you to.  I'm only doing this in my head...no knitting in front of me....but I think you'de have 15 sts left in the rep if you've done all the yo's too. Am I right so far?

On row #22 it says to pu 3 sts  evenly spaced over the BO sts.   Not evenly spaced throughout the row.

Also on row #22 you will be making 6 sts by means of "yo's"   and 3 sts by means of "pick up and knit 1 st" (it's the "+" in the chart key). That's a total of 9 sts increased. The row also contains 2 dec'ed sts (ssk's) so:

15  sts    ( fr row 21)

plus    9 yo sts

minus 2 dec'ed sts               

=         22 sts

See if this doesn't help you sort things out. If you need more help...just post back. I'll try again when I have a moment.

Take Care ...... Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 5
sunnymama84 wrote
on Jun 27, 2010 7:28 PM

ok I might have messed that part up. with the having 15 stiches left over. Ok Im still confused with the pu stiches, Do I put 3 stiches for every bound off stich? Sorry If im being thick. This is the most complicated pattern ive tried to date.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on Jun 27, 2010 10:14 PM

Hi...

No problem...this pattern does have some "interesting techniques" in it!!!

You need to pick up a total of 3 sts over the whole bound off area.  if you think about it...it wouldn't work to pick up 3 over every BO st....you bound off 21 sts. Yikes...you'de have to pu 63 sts!!!   Don't scare yourself...take a deep breath + just think about what you need to do.  The right way will make sense then!!!

Check over the #'s in my last post as as "dbl check"...it tells you how many to pu in total.

Feel free to ask more ???'s if you need to. I'll answer if/ when I can.

Take Care ..... Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 5
sunnymama84 wrote
on Jun 28, 2010 6:27 AM

Ok thats what I thought Only 3. I took it all apart so Ill have to start again and see how it goes. Thanks!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
sunnymama84 wrote
on Jul 6, 2010 10:24 PM

ok one more quick question. When it says repeat round 3 times does it mean repeat the whole chart or just  from row 28 or what?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on Jul 6, 2010 11:50 PM

Hi...

Wondered how you were doing???

sunnymama84:
When it says repeat round 3 times does it mean repeat the whole chart or just  from row 28 or what?

I'm a little lost here...I can't find anywhere in this patt that it actually says that?   At a guess, I'm thinking you are talking about this maybe:

On p73/ left hand column/ 4th row fr the bottom/ below directions for Row 28...it says:

"After chart is complete, knit 3 rnds. BO off all sts. Cut yarn, leaving a long tail."

Is this what you're referring to?  If so, that just means what it says...."knit 3 rnds". Just plain knitting.  Probably seems a little too simple after all the other stuff you had to do...right!?!?

If I'm missing something else that you are referring to....post back w/ it...+ I'll answer again.

Let me know how it goes....you sound like you're almost done...yippee!!!

Take Care...... Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 5
sunnymama84 wrote
on Jul 7, 2010 4:23 PM

OMG thats exactly what happened. Just so simple I coudnt belive it. Thanks!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on Jul 8, 2010 11:52 AM

Hi....

Awesome!!!   Do we get to see a pic of the finished bag?????

PLEASE !!!!

Take Care ..... Andrea

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS