HATS CRAZY

This post has 546 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 24, 2010 9:33 PM

Hi Yogama,

I most definitely think that the Lace Stockings using Shepherd Sock yarn should me made in white or as you said, a soft off white/ivory.  As a matter of fact, the picture is showing them in  a white in the magazine, p. 81.  The instructions say they used "Shepherd Sock (superwash wool/nylon) in #0ns natural".  I just went on line to the downloadable pdf pattern and it is free.  Do you like the color in the picture?  I think you'll be very happy with it in that or any shade of bone.   

Next, the cuffs I was referring to were in Vogue Holiday 2008 http://vogueknitting.com/pattern_help/corrections/2008_holiday.aspx   If you look there you will see the cuff right under the Seven Rib Shell Hat.  The model is wearing 7 different cuffs.  The pattern directions are right on the same page for the Alternating Cable Bangle and the free pdf is right below for the Diamond Cable Bangle. 

Right now I am working on the Alternating Cable Bangle and I love it.  It's fun and quick.  Your daughter will probably like it too.  Aren't they pretty cuffs?  I hope you like them.  In the magazine there is:  Argyle Bangle, Seed Stitch Bangle, Duplicate Stitch Bangle, Braid Bangle, Alternatiing Cable Bangle, Lace Bangle, Lazy Daisy Bangle, & Diamonds Bangle. 

The Lutz & Patmos Vest is Vogue Spring/Summer 2010 but I don't think it's a free download.  It's a neutral too, with interesting stitches.  Try to check it out at your library for free.  It just reached out and grabbed me when I turned that page in the magazine and saw it for the first time.  

I will check out your cuffs (free interweave pattern) too!  Let me know what color you decide get for the stocking.  I hope my feedback helped.  Always glad to try.  And glad your day went well with the one you were helping.  So much joy in giving.  Have a wonderful rest of the week end.  Talk with you soon. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jul 26, 2010 10:32 AM

hi zassz,

that lutz and patmos vest is stunning. its on cgarcoal gray right? i was able to see it online. i may have to subscribe to vogue knitting. some of those patterns are so, so pretty. as if i need more stimulation? haha! i already have a long list of "must knits". some are patterns only, but some i did buy yarn for already. better to have some projects lined up than to be searching aimlessly. then you grab onto something just to knit and end up making a bad choice. at least that's how it works for me!

how are your bangles coming? they do sound like fun. i checked out the patterns and did download them. my daughter will have fun with them this fall. not sure if i can get her to actually make one, but i do know she will wear what i make. and have a very definite idea of what colors i should use! always nice to have someone else's input as i tend toward the same colors over and over.

i am still thinking about those stockings. they are haunting me. i was at my yarn shop last week looking for suitable yarn. she had chashmere in dark charcoal for $25.skein. yikes i would need 3. maybe not! that got me to thinking about zoe and her stretch sock yarn. i think that might just work and she also thought it might hug the leg a bit and not gap and fall down. horrors! i am going to try to get to michaels today, which is where she said she found hers. since she is in canada - i am hoping the us carries the same yarn. i did find charcoal lorna's laces also, online. almost bought it but decided for once in my life not to be impetuous! haha! i am thinking this one through for a change. i decided on charcoal because i just cannot see me wearing white or off white lace, and black seems too severe. i'll keep you posted!

good idea about the library!

happy knitting!

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 26, 2010 3:12 PM

Hi Yogama, 

Hold onto your hats!  (chuckle)  No, the Lutz & Patmos is NOT the grey one.  I'll give the link here again, but you have to scroll down to where it says in red letters on the left side of page "On Neutral Ground".  Directly under that heading is the picture of the vest on the LEFT.  It is in off white or beige.  That's the one.  The others are nice too and you are right abut their patterns being so pretty.  Remember I mentioned though, that if you are not subscribing now, you can go to the library and get that issue Spring, Summer 2010. 

Also in an earlier post when we were talking about the lace stockings, you mentioned I think, about some elastic and I went back to read the pattern again.  It did say to use a bit of elastic at the very top of the stocking in the pattern.  So maybe you could ask your yarn shop person where you shopped last week (maybe via a phone call) if she knows of a substitute yarn for the Shepherd Sock that is more economical. Maybe she would be willing to pull the picture up on her computer so she can see what effect you are trying to get.  Michaels probably has pretty much the same stock in their shops, I would imagine, although some items may be more popular in certain areas.  I don't know what brand the stretch sock yarn is that Zoe mentioned, but if it gives you the same "LOOK" plus the stretch, that is probably a good thing.  When you get back let us know what you found! 

But re-check that vest http://www.vogueknitting.com/magazine/spring_summer/2010_fashion_preview.aspx

Oh, which free interweave pattern for cuffs did you mean?  I saw one but I am not sure it is the same.  What did they look like? 

I agree, that if have project (yarn + pattern) so I don't make the wrong choice.  Then sometimes, I do make a pattern and work it out with the appropriate yarn. 

P.S.  I was also thinking that if you do make the stockings in an off white or a beige, they would make a nice heirloom wedding gift for your daughter, or you could pass them on to her for mother/daughter gift on any occasion.  What do you think?  Well I am really anxious to hear from you soon. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jul 27, 2010 9:18 AM

good morning zassz,

first the easy part! the knitted cuffs are actually felted bangles. got my copy out to refresh my memory - and then went searching for them. yeah - here they are. go to kd main page, under "patterns" go to "other free patterns" and they are on the far right, 3rd row down. they look really cute and fun to make. i was thinking this would be an easy fall project. maybe an extra christmas gift? let me know what you think. your knitted cuffs are much more detailed. i have that pattern also so i can decide between the 2 - when they come up in the rotation! haha!

i must be doing something wrong. when i go to your link to check the vest, i don't see "on nuetral ground". oh well, now i MUST subscribe! just to satisfy my curiosity. but all is well, it is a gorgeous magazine. my daughter already says i need a 12 step program and a patch to help with my knitting addiction. she may be right. hey, it keeps me going and that's a good thing!

i found that ac moore carrieds the stretch sock yarn. i have one not far from me so i plan to check it out. i'm thinking those lace stockings in stretch yarn would be amazing. the pattern calls for wide, clear elastic around the top to hold them in place. my concern (after all that work) is that they won't cling, but will bag and sag. can't have that now! i'll let you know what i find out. hoping to get there tomorrow and check it out. like you i need to feel and touch and see the colors. then i can decide!

so are you going to knit that vests? i might have to get to either the library or a book store to check out the magazine.

happy knitting,

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 27, 2010 10:57 PM

Hi Yogama, 

I must have just missed you this morning.  So I tried clicking the link from my post and you are correct, it does not take you to the right page, however it reads exactly the same as when I pull it up from my "favorites".  So I tried something else and it works.  Click it again and from the page you get, go to the upper right "SEARCH" box and type in "2010" you'll get a listing which says 2010 Spring Summer Fashion Preview and that's the page it's on.  I am sorry it didn't take you right there.  I apologize for the time wasted looking for that page.  I hope this one works for you.  Let me know.   I know you really want to see it and I want you to so you can tell me what you think of it also.  I hope this works. 

Yes, I have to make that vest.  I just have to, I really really do.  That was funny about the 12 step program  Big Smile  Is your daughter a comediene? 

I am going to go check out your felted bangles.  I just finished another cuff today, the one with the alternating cable.  I need to find a plastic bracelet to sew it on to. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jul 28, 2010 8:21 AM

hi zassz,

never aplogize for wasting my time! haha! i can always make time when i HAVE to look at patterns! i did find it - yeah. sorry i am such a computer klutz. i can see why you love it! so lacy and pretty. i really like the detail on the back. is it crochet? i am not a crocheter. i can limp by with easy edgings, but that is about it. i checked out a couple of others i thought were pretty also. under enchated lace, the gray shawl and under ivory coast, the 3rd from the left, the ivory tunic. so pretty. but your vest would be very wearable all year round. a tank under it in the warm weather and long sleeve in the cold. i say go for it - but please post pics? and what yarn will you use? i definately have to subscribe to the magazine. actually i already tried to do it online this am but the link was not working.

back to crochet. a few years ago my neighbor untroduced me to scrumbling. ever heard of it? i think her books came from australia. anyway, you crochet all kind of shapes and pieces in the same color tone (i did purple) and then you attach the pieces either by crocher or sewing. you make a swetaer or shawl or bag. you can then embelish them with embroidery or beading. the finished pieces looked gorgeous. but....i ran out of interest in crochet and have a bag of pieces that are sadly waiting for my attention. someday. right now i am trying to finish the cute little cabled, hooded coat i am making for my neice's shower gifr. i am afraid they sold me one ball too few. yikes. and i bought it in dc. i may have to check around and see what i can get localy. you know that feeling? you know you will be short but you keep knitting thining it will magically stretch itself? i am down to the 2 sleeves and the hood and i have one ball left. not enough! oh well,,,,,

happy knitting,

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 28, 2010 9:11 PM

Hi Yogama, 

So you liked it too?  It is knit and a bit of crochet, if I remember correctly.  I looked at the gray shawl and it is a beautiful and intricate stitch pattern.  If you have the time?  The Ivory Tunic is "you" out there on the shore with your WindanSea Hat (which you already have)!  See her with her hat on at the beach?  Thanks so much for looking at this vest for me.  Pattern says "Sari" in S. Charles/Tahki.  I will have to price it.  Also need a size M/N crochet hook and size 15 circulars.  I love the back of it too.  Very different and interesting I think. 

That blue one is nice too - under Decorative Details.  3rd from left, the model has a tennis racket in her hand.  Wow, where will this ever end?  It's so much fun.     

I do that too, put a tank under or if it's colder weather, a thinner, long sleeved.  It wasn't you with the computer, they sometimes have a mind of their own. 

I never heard of that scrumbling but it is an excellent idea.  So you can play with placing the shapes and see what you come up with!  That is a good project for anyone but I think especially for someone (children & adults) just learning.  At the right time you'll probably get back to them. 

I was going to ask you how the coat is coming along.  I hope you won't have too much trouble getting the rest of the yarn.  The same thing happened to me on a baby jacket I did, what is going on with these baby jackets?  Mine just seemed to use soooooooooo much yarn, it didn't seem possible for such a small article.  Sad  I finally got the yarn, after endless trips to the shop (but really, I did enjoy those extra trips in my own little way) buying more yarn for more projects.  Hey maybe that's why they do it! Wink   You are real close to finishing though!  Hope we can see a picture maybe. 

That reminds me, I was looking through the back of the magazine where all the yarn ads are and saw one for www.wool-gatherers.com for every day low prices on Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock & Sport.  That site took me to www.YarnCountry.com  Maybe you can find some there for your lace stockings. 

I am off to read your other posts.  Thanks again Big Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jul 29, 2010 12:16 PM

hi zassz,

so that's why "the vest" looks so lacey and airy - sz 15? no wonder i thought it was crochet. i'm thinking you should do it, and then let me know how it went, and then maybe i will follow along! haha! seriously, it is really pretty and very different. and i know what you mean about searching online. oh yikes. i get so carried away with yarns and patterns and then of course  i have to absolutely make every one of those patterns and then.......no wonder my daughter said i need a 12 step program. and no, she is not a comedian, just a funny, sassy 20 year old. but it keeps me out of trouble and really is harmless. isn't it? says i as my stash keeps growing. but i know lots of knitters that have much more than i do. they qualify as hoarders!

i was looking at the stretch sock yanr at michaels that zoe mentioned and it is really cool. i can see where it would snug up and hug your leg a little better. they had really pretty colors, but i contained myself (somehow) and did not buy any. the lace stockings need to be made with plain and they were all multi colored. that would take away from the lace. i did see black online but am holding out for charcoal grey. we shall see. first i have to finish baby coat. it has been bothering me for awhile. saw how much yarn i needed for the back and really thought i didn't have enough. finished the 2 fronts and by then i knew i did not have enough. instead of searching around, i callled the shop in va where i bought it and hooray! they had the same dye lot left. i ordered 2 balls and they will ship to me. made it so easy for me. now i will have extra and no more fussing. this coat is a debbie bliss pattern and has little cables all over. way too many cables as in i am tired of doing them! i promised myself as soon as i am done i will move onto something fun for me. but i have to make myself finish the coat because i know if i put it down i am done. for a baby coat is has taken way too long! oh well, what we do for love.......

i did order bare yarn to try dying. it came yesterday. so soft and pretty as is it. now i need to investigate dying a bit and decide what to do. but first, finish that baby coat.

happy knitting,

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jul 29, 2010 12:18 PM

hi again zassz,

forgot to mention i have used the takhi stacy charles before - cotton classic and cotton classic lite (which is a dk weight). very happy with both. nice cotton yarn, which i tend to prefer now. don't like wool as much anymore unless it is a blend. too itchy for me!

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 29, 2010 7:44 PM

Hi Yogama, 

Yes, those larger needles make it go fast too.   I would love it if you want to follow along on that vest. 

So relieve you got the extra yarn you needed.  That really was fortunate.  I just know it will be real pretty and special too when made with loving hands. 

So a new adventure in yarn dying.  I hope you enjoy your new endeavor and share with us what you are learning.  Sounds like alot of fun too. 

I saw the felted bangles you directed me too.  They look like fun and might be quick to do as well.  Thanks for those. 

Also saw the mitten drawing contest on the front page here.  It would be nice to get some "free" yarn.  Speaking of free yarn I did get some and I am going to post about in a few minutes over on the Stash & Stash Management Thread. 

Talk to you soon.  Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jul 30, 2010 8:10 AM

hi zassz,

so you are really going to make that vest? woohoo for you. i must get a copy of the magazine. i looked in my super food store yesterday but they don't carry it. they have vogue fashion but not vogue knitting. i'll get to a book store soon.

did you finish your bangles? i didn't read the directions completely, but you knit the cuff and then buy a plastic bracelet and insert? clever idea. i'm sure they look great. are we going to see pics??? hope so.

i did see the mitten patterns and they are so cute and different. that's the problem with kd! it is addicting and every day there is something new to entice you. - and thus the name knitting daily? i could knit every day for the rest of my life and still not get it all done. i was checking into the stainless steel yarn that kathleen was discussing for the mobius scarf in fall interweave. have you heard about or seen that? it looks so interesting. the scarf itself seems to float. there is definately something going on there. i located a yarn shop not far from me that carries it. apparently it is not balls or skeins, but cones. probably so it doesn't bend and pinch. an interesting concept and might be a good christmas present for someone. hmmmmm....more thought into this now. haha!

must go check into your free yarn. catch up with you on stash!

have a busy day knitting,

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 1, 2010 7:13 PM

Hi Yogama,

Yes, I finished another one.   In so far as I still have to get a plastic bracelet and slip it over and stitch, then it's done.  You can make them wide or narrow, depending on the size of the bracelet you get.  Yes I saw the stainless steel info as well.  I am practicing the cast on for the Moebius.  There's another post, with a link to it, one of the posters gave me.  Just a minute i'll go look for it. 

I found it.  Denise Jackson wrote on July 21, 2010 under Stash and Stash Management, Knitting Fearlessly with a link to Cat Bordhi cast on for Moebius. 

I can't find my free yarn on line anywhere to get an idea of what patterns it could have used for, so I'll probably work something else out.  It is the good color for my Floppy Toque hat by Cathy Carron (Holiday 2008 Vogue).  Although that pattern called for an angora Schulana yarn in orange, the one I have is not the same texture at all.  I could use it, but the hat will look different, not "floppy" or soft enough I think.  So I think I will continue to have fun searching for something else.  If you come across anything or have any suggestions, I would love to hear them. 

By the by, it was an absolutely gorgeous morning.  How was yours, early riser?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Aug 3, 2010 10:27 AM

good morning zassz,

another beautiful morning here! i was out of the loop for a couple of days. at a spa day with sis and neice's and son's grf. oh i could get used to the pampering and scrubbing and polishing. niiiiicccceeee!

back to the real world though. i am still chugging away on the cabled baby coat. so many tiny cables. i am starting to get bored and ready to move onto another project! i did get the extra yarn in the mail, so i am all set. and i am determined to finish!

i am very intrigued with that stainless steel yarn. i was checking it online and looking at colors. i would like to see it in person before i buy it. the whole concept is so interesting. i am thinking daughter and 2 son's gf christmas presents. this is about the time of year i start to think about it so i can be finished in time. so hurry up with that baby coat! i am down to only the hood and the sewing. all will be fine.

and how about you? are you working on more cuffs? yet another thought to keep me thinking about projects. they would be fun and easy and i could do different colors. ahhhh.....i need to quit my job and knit full time. dream on!

happy knitting!

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Aug 3, 2010 10:38 AM

Good morning Sharon and ZassZ,

I think the stainless steel yarn would be cold in the winter???  I don't think it is a warm yarn unless it is combined with a superwash wool that won't shrink?  I haven't any experience with this type of yarn.  New stuff coming out all the time!

Happy knitting,  Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Aug 3, 2010 12:05 PM

hi zoe,

i know, its crazy with all the new twists all the time. always something to learn about. i'm intrigued with the mobius scarf in fall interweave. it seems to just float. but first i have to see and feel the yarn before i do anything with it! haha!

how are those tomatoes? my son (the rat) sent me a pic of his huge, green tomatoes. there are many of them. they all know this is an "issue" with me and never let an opportunity to tease go by. guess i taught them well? if we can't laugh, what's the point???

happy knitting,

sharon

Page 2 of 37 (547 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS