HATS CRAZY

This post has 546 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 3, 2010 11:08 PM

Hi Yogama and Zoe, 

It's evening here now.  I missed you for a couple days too but glad you weren't under the weather, just having a wonderful spa day and GOOD for you! 

I want to know if you get the yarn.  You'll have to fill us in about it.  I imagined it like crocheting with wire but I'm sure it's probably softer than that I hope.  I wonder how it would be on your hands?  That would be a good question to ask Whisper?   What colors does it come in? 

Yeah!, your coat is probably done by the time you read this, or near to it anyway.  I am done with cuffs for awhile.  Now I am back to that blanket I am giving as a gift.  Then next maybe will be my FloppY Toque and then my Lutz & Patmos VEST Hooray! 

Zoe, I know you are probably at this very moment working on socks; what color are you doing? and how is Andrea, hope you are fine too; what are you up to now? 

I don't have an tomatoes growing, but I do have some peppers coming along nicely.  I am shocked, but I actually didn't think they would do that well.  Also my Plumeria from Maui is blooming and it split into 4 different heads and it smells divine.  I just love that plant.  Don't get me started on gardening now

I guess you'll read me in the morning.  

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 3, 2010 11:51 PM

Hi again Yogama and Zoe, 

I just had to do it. 

After I signed off I went to look at the wool stainless steel yarn at Lion Brand and guess what?  I looked at the knitted scarf pattern - Dusty Night Scarf in the Dusty Blue, but then I checked the crochet pattern and realy like the Lace Necklace in Cerise.  I could see using it for an "effect" item like the necklace without having to be concerned about having any warmth to it.  Makes a nice gift and looks like it would crochet up quickly cause there is not much to it.  What do you think? 

Oh boy, another yarn to put into my yarn stash.  na na na na na!

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Aug 4, 2010 7:08 AM

good morning zassz and zoe,

yes, i am reading you this am. you were up late last night? or early this am?? haha! and she who dies with the most stash wins. ready set go......race ya!

i'm hoping the stainless yarn is softer than crocheting with wire. i did that in the past. a necklace with beads twined into it. came out really pretty, but not my thing. i was looking through the webs flier that came with sale yarns. they have a yarn with stainless mixed in for a shimmer. sounds like it is more yarny like though. the stainless looks like it would hold its shape - as you said for effect and not warmth. the scarf looks like it floats. so pretty. i am not sure what color i will make , but i do need to try this. i think i'll search it out in person and buy enough to do one before i jump off the deep end and decide i don't like it. see? for once i can be practical!

and i am not done with the baby coat yet. ugh! almost there. so close. i am working on the hood. as soon as that is done - anpther inch - then i do the front binding. they call for left front and right front done separately, then stitch together at the top of the hood. since that is the front of the hood, i am going to pick up and knit all the way up one front, across the hood and donw the other front. makes sense? it is straight k2,p2 so no increasing or decreasing to worry about. i wonder sometimes how designers design! what are they thinking? i WILL finish this though. and before my deadline which is 8/21 for the baby shower. which i will not be at because my other neice is getting married the same weekend. there is more to this story, as in grandmother to be does not like her brother (my hubby) so she made it so we cannot go. no problem, mom to be knows all the sordid details and is ok with it. plus she will have a gorgeous sweater for new baby. i really outdid myself on this one. i'll drop the gift in advance so she can open it there. am i rotten or what? no, i'm just a happy knitter!

good luck with that baby blanket. can't wait to hear about the vest!

happy knitting and gardening!

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Aug 4, 2010 7:10 AM

haha! that's just what i did. found the yarn on lion brand. i "had" to see it!

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Aug 4, 2010 7:54 AM

hey zassz and anyone interested in the bangles,

check out the main kd page. at the bottom there is a video about the bangles. they look so fun and colorful - plus its a free pattern!

happy knitting,

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 4, 2010 3:54 PM

Hi Yogama, 

I think I found it.  I'm going to go check it out.  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 9, 2010 1:49 PM

Hi Susan D, 

I was reading you @ Socks and you mentioned doing hats with a brim.  Because I am so crazy about hats you got my attention.  So tell me about your hats with the brim that you felt.  Maybe you could also mention what yarns you like to use for your project.?   

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Aug 10, 2010 10:17 AM

hi zassz,

how's all with you8? i have been out of the loop for a few days with a summertime bug. not fun, but i am back to myself now. thank goodness. i was able to finish my neice's cabled baby coat and the travelling woman's shawl (free pattern) while i was "lounging".  today i am out to look for buttons so i can be done with it.  wow that took a long time. all those little cables. i will post a pic as soon as i can find my camera. and a child to do it for me. haha! it is on the list of things to learn, but somehow i would rather be knitting.

what are you working on now? and with what yarn? i did get my blank yarn in to dye for socks, so i am going to attempt that soon. its so hot and sticky out now that i am not too motivated. i'm still thinking about those lace stockings. i'm also thinking about the chiral cardigan. we shall see!

happy knitting,

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 10, 2010 10:57 PM

Hi Yogama, 

I just sent you a big answer and the whole thing just disappeared as soon as I hit the Post button.  Here goes again. 

So glad you're better.  I was thinking you went to deliver your baby coat.  JoAnn's has all buttons on sale at 50% off.  So you finished (the knitting part) and C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S   ! ! !  Will look forward to your picture.  I like doing cables alot.  I can't wait to see yours. 

I finished the blanket I was working on.  It's not a baby blanket though.  I'll try to take a picture of it tomorrow to put up here.  I crocheted the whole things.  Now, I spent most of this evening looking for the S.Charles Collezione yarn in Sari for my On Neutral Ground vest and I found it at their website.  I will see if I can pick it up locally and then just have to go back to the library for that pattern.  Yeah! 

While I was waiting for my husband today, I looked thru a mag and saw an Eyelet Cowl which I had seen many times before, but for some reason today, I thought I really liked it and wondered why I didn't seem to pay much attention to it before.  But I really want to do it and have some yarn already that it will look nice in but I want the yarn in the colors shown in the picture for the fall season.  So here we go again!  I thought it would be nice to have something that covers the head, neck and shoulders to keep the fall wind out. 

I finished a long strip of lace that I am attaching to a jacket for decoration.  So I will be sewing that on as well.

Did I mention to you that on Vogue's site there's a thing called Vogue 360 which gives you a 360 degree view of their patterns on the models, with a narrative of the garment, and a close up of the stitch pattern and the yarn.  You should check it out.  I saw your lace stockings there and they looked good.  I was thinking the same, that you could use the yarn you are going to dye, for your socks, if that comes out well.  What color are you dying?

So glad you are better, keep drinking plenty of water to keep hydrated.  Talk soon !

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Aug 11, 2010 7:09 AM

hi zassz,

before i forget i wanted to tell you i finally picked up the vogue magazine yesterday. at joanne's! they do have so many pretty patterns to drool over. i keep looking at the lutz and patmos garments along with some of the lacey ones. so pretty. i do know what you mean about looking at a certain pattern again and suddenly liking it. it all depends on where you are at the moment! which magazine and which cowl were you looking at? i crocheted one for my daughter last winter. she had seen it online for $75 and i said no way, we can make it. well, i'm not a good crocheter but that part came out ok. it was the pattern! or lack of one i should say. it came out way too loose and she never wore it. now that i tried to create my own, i see them all over. that stainless steel mobiuis scarf looks like something she would love. my sons live in gf would love it also. thinking ahead for christmas now. i must get organized and get going here! plus i am thinking of mittens also. those patterns on kd were really cute. i have my daughter and 2 sond's with gf's. i kind of have to do something for all 3. we shall see.

my poor baby coat is sitting there and waiting! i bought the buttons yesterday but instead of doing buttonholes i decided to use big snaps and just sew the buttons on the outside. well, i forgot the snaps. darn. i'm going back today and i am determined to finish it! i hate little things hanging over my head. i am a finisher and want to move onto the next project. which i have already done! i am knitting a little bright green sweater for a teddy bear to match the little baby vest i already did. so silly but fun, easy and done.

i love your idea of lace as a trim. i have been thinking along the same lines. is yours a jean jacket? i love the look of denim and lace or leopard. a real contrast. post a pic when you are done please. and another silly thing. when you asked me awhile ago if i was going to post my hat in the reader gallery i thought you meant on the berroco website! i did not know kd had a reader gallery until recently. once i get the buttons and snaps on, i will post a pic.

happy knitting,

sharon

p.s. io did try the kool aid dyeing yesterday and it worked well, but not the color i want. i'll post on socks so check it out there!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 11, 2010 11:38 AM

Hi Yogama,  Wink

Hey that's great.  I have to go back to the library and check that issue out again to get the pattern, or just get an issue from the newstand.  How do you like the issue?  For the Eyelet Cowl in Vogue Knitting International Holiday 2009, shown on page 58, pattern no. 11.  If you want to show it to your daughter, go to the VK360 & in the Search box at bottom, select  Holiday 2009 it will load and choose "THINK BIG".  There are 4 cowls.  The one I want is the 3rd one.  She might like the 1st one too, real chunky yarn.  

I was looking on line last eve for the yarn for the cowl and I finally found it.  It's from Tanglewood Fiber Creations.  From their site they give a map with a listing of all the shops in the U.S. carrying their yarns.  That one is a merino/angora/cashmere blend.  I couldn't believe I even found a shop nearby that has one color.  I am calling later on to see which color ways they may have.  It just happens to be $150 per skein.  I will probably try to do the same you did with the stocking yarn, try to find a substitute yarn.  Oh but it is soooooooo beautiful.  I would have to save or someone would have to be my good natured and generous "benefactor" for me to get his yarn.  Oh but I WANT it!  Help me, please.  Surprise 

While doing that search I happened on a site that uses all natural dyes for their yarns.  Have you heard of La Lana Wools of Taos?   www.lalanawools.com  I thought you might just like to look at some of the colors on their home page re: your sock dying. 

I just found a place called Knit Culture at http://www.knitculture.com/SPD/tanglewood-tanglewood-cashmere---8647564912442310399.jsp  I hope the link works, but if not just go to main page and select cashmere.  I phoned but they don't open til 11 a.m.  I just though i might ask what they have.  Maybe they won't have it and I'll be ok. 

I want to go see your pic on socks.  And I was going to put the lace on a plain black linen jacket.  It has a matching skirt and pants, so I thouht if I put the lace on the jacket it would change the look, because all 3 pieces are absolutely plain, requires no ironing, and travels well.   Am looking forward to seeing your hat too!!!

What a cute idea for the teddy bear.  Are you keeping him or giving him away?  Only 23 minutes til the knit shop opens Wink

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Aug 11, 2010 3:00 PM

hi zassz,

oh GASP! that cashmere is unbelievably gorgeous! but $150? yikes. you need serious therapy my friend. or else win the lottery. or else find a rich relative you never knew you had? haha! i also found some gorgeous yarn at my local store. don't even know the name of it but it was a lot. it was textured and went from ribbon to fluffy to furry to sily all in the same skein so it knitted up as a piece of art. she had a drapey sweater made from it on browns and rusts which are not my colors. she had the yarn in several shades. the one i liked the best colorwise was in garnets and marrons and reds. so gorgeous. but it did not have all the texture of the browns. so i passed. haha! as if i was seriously considereing it anyway.....but we do have to dream. i have confidence in you and you will find somthing very pretty as a subsitute that will be in your budget!

i was trying to pull up the vogue websites but my computer wont ler me right now. i'll try again later as i want to check out those cowls. i haven't posted my pics yet, but i will put them in the reader gallery. i returned the stainless steel buttons for the baby sweater and bought adorable little lambs with wobbly legs instead. much more baby looking. once i sew them on - and i did remember the snaps also this time - i will post it. i love your idea of adding a lace edge. i love knitting lace but a huge shawl is overwhelming. little touches work for me. now i have to find something to add it to. i have a denim jacket that a could "feminize". think i'll look into that. but first....must finish what i have so far. the teddy bear sweater is to give to my neice for part of her shower gift. i already made a vest and socks and baby shoes. the teddy sweater will coordinate for the little boy that has everything. he is due in oct. can't wait!

all for now, must go figure out dinner. oh and your 23 minutes till the shop opened is long gone. were you successful???

happy knitting,

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 11, 2010 5:12 PM

Hi Yogama, 

I know, I know, I know!  I'm going to need that 12 step program!  I called and told me that they do not have the yarn.  So I guess I am going to be all right for awhile, that is til I get to the Trunk Show they are doing on August 27, 28, 29.  Oh my - I can't wait!  She may or may not bring that same yarn but I am sure what ever she brings will be gorgeous and I have to at least go and look?  Don't I?  Ha Ha Ha.  Oh well, it gets my adrenaline going.  I was going to tell you that when you do look at the cowl on the vogue site, the color is off --  the picture in the actual magazine does the Eyelet Cowl a lot more justice than the screen.  For some reason, the yarn just looks better in the magazine probably the lighting.  But I would prefer that color combination if I could get it in an alternative yarn

So you had a yarn experience too!  I can just picture it the way you described the yarn so yummy. 

I like those little baby buttons.  Cute little animal shapes and colors, so sweet.  Whenever I go to JoAnns and the button sale is on, I pick up pretty buttons.  I got some snowman buttons, then I decorated a felted hat with them.  They were so cute, to wear up to the mountains.  I love buying buttons for some reason and have a collection of them.  Some I'll probably never use, but I just like collecting them.  Also, if you love doing the little bits of lace you could do just enough for around the sleeves on a sweater or a jacket collar or on pockets too. 

I had a beach dress that was too loose, so I put in some darts, decorative stitched the neckline, cut a little material to put over the sleeves to look like cuffs and then added decorative buttons on each cuff and changed the buttons down the front.  It looks entirely different.  The sleeve material was from a maternity dress material that I loved and saved the scraps.  The dress was a pale yellow and plain.  The scrap material was a pale lavender with a little print flower with petals in lavender, pale yellow, a little pink & tiny green leaves.  Just a little experiment that turned out cute. 

So nice, you did the whole nine yards for the baby.  Take a picture of all of them together, so  everybody is going to oohing and awhing at that shower!Smile  Let me know when you look at the cowls. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 11, 2010 10:22 PM

Hi Yogama, 

I forgot to mention in this last post that I was thinking it would be nice if you put your pics in under Knitting Chat >Fabulous Projects Completed Lately?  Talk to you soon.  What was dinner?  I'm going to have a little snack now too. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Aug 12, 2010 6:37 AM

good morning zassz,

dinner was yummy. hubby grilled salmon with taragon from my herb garden, along with portabello mushrooms, onions and asparagas - not from my garden. then we went out for ice cream. how decadent? i have to investigate the fabulous projects. i still have so much to learn about the kd site. finished the teddy sweater and now have to sew buttons on. the 5 way wrap i am changing buttons. 12 of them. don't like the original ones i sewed on. as soon as i am done with all that, i'll figure out how to get the pics up. then its one to a new project - finally. i loved doing all the baby things, but now it is time to move on. deciding what will be the focus of this weekend! haha!

happy knitting,

sharon

Page 3 of 37 (547 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS