HATS CRAZY

This post has 546 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 1:44 PM

hi margrue,

so nice to see you here on hats! didn't you enjoy knitting the hat? and so fun to have a place like bermuda to wear it! i was there 2 years ago and really loved it. want to go again soon!

what else are you working on?

happy knitting,

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 3:29 PM

Hi margrue,

I did see the Windandsea hat when Yogama made it.  Which color yarn did you you make yours in?   

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
margrue wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 7:58 PM

Hi ZassZ.

I made the Windandsea from a pale beige colored cotton-linen blend yarn, figuring that would look good with whatever I was wearing.  I plan to make another one from a denim-colored yarn, since I seem to live in jeans.

Right now I am making some socks (2 socks at once on two circulars ) and that is all I have going at the moment. Margaret G

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 13, 2011 11:36 AM

Hi Margaret, 

Oh that does sound nice!  Good idea to be able to work it in with your summer wardrobe. 

I am finishing up my Ridged Beret and I plan to do another in a totally different yarn.  I have an idea for the second beret and if it works out the way I hope, I will go ahead and use that yarn.  I'll have to do a swatch first to make sure.  I hope the yarn will be good because I have plenty of it in my stash. 

That seems to be a good choice to use the denim colored yarn. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 16, 2011 9:41 PM

Hi Dea, 

Today I was browsing again through my magazine issue.  In the Vogue Knitting International, Fall 2010 issue, I cam across a hat done in fair isle in the round.  What caught my attention was that in the description it said that "this is a terrific first Fair Isle project for an otherwise experienced knitter."  So I thought about you.  To try another fair isle in the round if you care to take a look at it. 

It is the London Calling hat on page 77 by Sheila Joynes.  It is described as "English roses and ivy meander around the crown of Sheila Joynes's chic topper, in Knit One Crochet Too's USDK.  Stitched in the round from the corrugated rib up, this is a terrific first Fair Isle project for an otherwise experienced knitter."  It really is a very pretty design.   

I am going to post this info also over in Hats Crazy. 

- - -

I just copied the above post over here.  Dea had just finished a fair isle and mentioned wanting to do more fair isle when I cam across this hat pattern today I thought I would share the info re where to find the pattern with anyone who may like to try it.  It is really pretty.  It may be other places as well, but this is where I found it in my Vogue Fall 2010.  I guess I'll have to add this to my list after the flowers I am not going to add to my list as well that WendyJ peaked my interest in.  I found some flower pattern in another Vogue done by Niky Epstein and I want to do those. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 20, 2011 10:17 AM

Hi All, 

Have you seen Kathleen's Blog re Trendsetter Yarn Give Away.  Barry is giving away two skeins of yarn just for posting there and telling what color you like and what you might make with it.  You know I will have to do something with it that is HAT related, huh?  Wink 

Yogama,

By the way, on the Early Show there was a girl wearing the combination of yellow/gold and blue that I was telling you about that I love so much.  She looked really nice in a coat that color and her skirt was blue.  The coat was gorgeous, style wise and colorwise.  Did you see it?   I didn't know her name but she was standing outside with Al Roker there in New York. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 6, 2011 5:19 PM

Hi Sharon and All, 

I went to the store and saw a pretty summer hat in beige and white with a nice large brim and thought to myself, "Self, you should buy the hat to keep the sun off your head"  So I did.  So I did cheat - my buying instead of making the hat.  But I really needed it!  ha ha.   

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Jun 6, 2011 6:33 PM

Sometimes you just gotta buy something that you could have made! Wink  It makes you feel good. 

I've been knitting a little bit of everything.  In the last couple months, I've made several pairs of socks, some scarves, a sweater and tried my hand at knitting and felting a tote bag that I'll use for knitting.  Life has gotten messy lately.  In April my husband, the truck driver, got sick while at the Laramie truck stop and ended up in ER where they said he needed a larger hospital to treat him, so then sent him by ambulance to Loveland, CO.  I flew to Loveland and stayed for 10 days, then I had to put him into a physical rehab facility and I flew back home in order to work.  Three weeks later they said he was ready to travel, so I flew back out there and managed to get him home.  It was a very long day................   He was supposed to have had a hip replacement on May 16th, but he came down with a Strep B infection and the surgery was put off.  He's still on strong antiibiotics, but the blood tests are coming back clean now. He continues the antibiotics till 6/17, then 2 weeks after that they'll give him more tests and if they come back clean, the Orthopedic surgeon will put him in the hospital for emergency hip surgery.  Then he'll have a couple months (or more) of therapy to get his strength back and to learn how to use his new hip.  He's also having hand therapy because the infection centered in his right hand and while in Loveland, they operated on it to drain out the liquid and clean it out.   He's been one very sick fella.  Can't do much of anything for himself.  I've been staying home with him, so not working....just doing lots of knitting.  Luckily my employer said they'd manage during his recouperation and I could come back when he's better. 

Pictures of some of the things I've made are in my Webshots album.... scroll down to the Knitting album and the new items are on page 4.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lilbitgal2?start=42

Linda B.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 6, 2011 7:40 PM

Hi Linda, 

Thanks for getting in touch. 

Well this is a shock about your husband illness.  Really I am so sorry to hear this news.  You really have gotten a rather large load to carry.  You seem to be managing now and staying level headed through it all.  You have probably heard about the rise of incidence of people contacting that inf. while being treated in hospital.  Hopefully it won't be too much longer after 6/17th he will be able to have his hip surgery.    Good it was caught quickly enough.  I know you both must be anxious to get that out of the way.  How is he as a patient?  I hope he is able to take this all in stride. It is so difficult for some of us to get used to being incapacitated for a while especially if used to being quite active.  You both seem to genuinely care for one another so that is half of the battle.  Good your work situation is ok.  Well, at least you get to spend alot of time together, because he is usually on the road, so that is a blessing in disguise.  I am so happy you took a minute to write and I have been wondering about you. Just thought you were busy with work and your knitting classes that you mentioned. 

I would love to look at your album.  Did you see my knitting handbag too?  It's over under Fabulous Projects Completed Lately along with a beaded bracelet.  I'll get back to you for comments after I look! 

Again, give regards to h and sincere wishes for his speedy recuperation.  You must be a very patient and loving caregiver, don't forget to give yourself a break.  I am hoping they will get you a little assistance/help during his therapy. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 6, 2011 7:43 PM

Hey All, 

It's the funniest thing.  I just saw a commercial on tv and they were featuring the very same hat I just bought at that store!  How funny. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Jun 6, 2011 7:55 PM

ZassZ, I just went and found your bag.  Very pretty.  I like the lining idea.  Having felted mine, I don't think I'll line it.   I'll have to see how it works when in use.  Who knows, I may decide a lining is needed after I've used it a bit.    I would like to make another one and try to get the size more to my liking.  It didn't shrink much side to side, only top to bottom.

Linda B.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 6, 2011 8:32 PM

Hi Linda, 

I am looking at your bag now.  It's great and I love the size.  Looks like it would hold a nice size project.  I think the shape is very cool and love the handle, yarn colors.  Thanks for sharing.  I saw your cowl again, the one that we both did a while ago.  That was fun. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jun 7, 2011 8:10 AM

hi ladies,

linda i am so, so sorry to hear about your hubby. what a scare - and so far away also. thankfully the worst is behind you now. we knitters realize what we are made of when something like this hits us. we have strong shoulders and can carry on. sounds like he is on the mend now and getting ready for that hip replacement. those that i know who have done this, or knees, say they wish they had done it earlier. their whole quality of life is so much better, not to mention being pain free. you'll have him up and dancing in no time! watch that infection though. my h had a scare also. fell of his bike a year ago memorial day and cracked his elbow. it healed fine, but doc went in last nov to clean it out as the burser sack was causing discomfort. well, he ended up with a wild infection and we were back in the er and then he was admitted thanks day. iv antibiotic and he is back to normal. but has to watch the pressure he puts in that elbow from now on. crazy germs running around out there now!

happy to hear you are knitting through your troubles. i say it keeps us sane! i finished a pink lacy short sleeved cardi from fall 2010 vogue. love it. also finally did the lacy skirt i have been thinking about for a couple of years. that came out nicely also. it was a little snug but stretched a bit with the wearing. thankfully! now i am working on a sleeveless tunic also from vogue. i plan to post pics of all 3 as soon as i am finished with the tunic.

had a busy weekend here. my daughter had her friend's bridal shower on my deck. it pulled together beautifully. it was  a tea party theme. we had borrowed tables and mother of the bride had them decorated beautifully with lace and embroidered clothes, tea cups, plates, old gloves, pearls, brooches, tea pots with flowers for the center pieces. it truly looked magical. i have some pics of that i will post also.

hang in there linda and remember, this too shall pass. soon you will be laughing about your troubles, just another crazy story in your long, long life!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 7, 2011 8:26 AM

Hi Sharon,

Just having my cup of java & decided to check here earlier to see if I could catch you.  Hope you hit the "deck" today, and by that I mean to just sit and relax on it and do nothing you don't feel like doing. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Jun 7, 2011 8:33 AM

hi zass,

i actually have a nice day planned. "business" lunch today. nice woman i am phone friends with and meeting for lunch today. about time we met in person. she does all my new client enrollments for me. beautiful day here but going to get hot and humid as the week goes on. time to put the window a/c in now. but i love the windows open and the breeze!

Page 32 of 37 (547 items) « First ...  < Previous  30 31 32 33 34  Next >  ... Last » | RSS