HATS CRAZY

This post has 546 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,769
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 12, 2010 2:25 PM

Hi Yogama, 

It's just after 1 p.m. here.  I had a nice lunch with my husband and now he's off to a bunch of work.  I did another search and found another crop of the dreamy yarns.  The site mentioned that "Trish" did the hand dying and hand spinning.  Some customers who bought one came back 2 or 3 times within a week and bought more yarns.  Uh - oh I am in T R O U B L E!  Like Elvis said, "You lookin for trouble, you came to the right place!"  I guess the "right place" is any place that sell this yarn.  I did notice that one of the skeins was 232 yrds but not in the same color.  But that would still not be  enough because the patterns calls for 2 skeins, each 188 yds.  And the site also had the picture from Vogue's Eyelet Cowl right there with the yarn.  Oh torture me some more. 

Your dinner sounded so good.  Love all those herbs, onions and mushrooms.  Do you grill your asparagus too?  We love salmon and you won't believe this, but we had nice salmon sandwiches last night too.  My husband started making them & I couldn't resist.  Fish is so good for you.  Do you enjoy sushi? 

What kind of button are you doing for your wrap?  I came across a picture of a wrap ( I can't remember exactly where) and it had large buttons along the buttom edge.  Is it the same one you made?  I think it was called a 5 way wrap or something similar.  What color did you make your in? 

I have got to start another project soon too.  Glad you had a nice evening.  Talk soon.   

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 107
SusanD@51 wrote
on Aug 14, 2010 10:14 AM

ZassZ,

Thank you for directing me in the right place for "HATS CRAZY"  I think by now my brimmed hats will be posted all over the knitting chat sight.

For those of you who haven't seen my gallery pic of the felted brim hats I made on other chat sights you can now see them here.   My felted brim hats aren't too crazy but I really enjoyed knitting them.  I knitted them on circular needles, with two strands of yarn held together.  I used Wool of the Andes from Knit Picks.  The skeins are pretty cheap and the yarn once knitted felts beautifully.  It's a fiber trends pattern.  I've also knitted and felted clogs with the same yarn, they turned out fabulous.  Alot of my family got them for Christmas last year.

Happy Knitting.....

Susan

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,769
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 14, 2010 11:38 AM

Susan D,

Hi there!  All right, now I can't find your pics in the Reader Photo Gallery or here.  Where did you put them?  Are they under your name, SusanD@51

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 107
SusanD@51 wrote
on Aug 14, 2010 12:13 PM

Just click on my avitar it will take you to my bio and personal gallery.

Susan

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,769
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 14, 2010 7:18 PM

Hi Susan, 

Thanks, I don't know why I didn't do that, my brain was a little tired out.  Thanks.  I saw your hats and I like them alot.  Do you plan on doing some more, or are you working on something else?  That yarn does felt rather nicely!  Yes 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Aug 15, 2010 7:52 PM

Hi ZassZ,

The hats I've been working on lately are definitely for cooler / cold weather.  An easy pattern that takes very little thinking so I can be listening to an audio book or watching DVDs while knitting.  I got the pattern out of a book I recently read.  It's a series by Maggie Sefton of mysteries based around a knitting shop (which is a real shop) in Fort Conner, north of Denver, Colorado.  Each book has one or two patterns and a recipe or two of some of the goodies the ladies eat during the story.   The hat pattern is in "Dyer Consequences".    The hat calls for a bulky yarn and I didn't have any, so I doubled my yarn using my handspun for the first two I made and for the scarves to go with the hats.  The third one I splurged and bought some very colorful bulky yarn.  The hat is made, but I'm still working at getting the scarf long enough.   When I finish this set, I will begin on an afghan that was posted in one of the books also.  I intend to try each pattern in each story. 

LindaB48

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,769
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 18, 2010 3:38 PM

Hi Linda, 

How are you doing?  I would like to check into the book you mentioned.  Is it available at a local library?  I love mysteries and to do with a knitting shop sounds interesting.  Thanks for telling me about it.   Would love to see your hats too, if you can post the pictures. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Aug 18, 2010 5:19 PM

Hi ZassZ,

I would think the library would have the books.   I got mine used on Amazon and they were less than buying them new.   Maggie Sefton is very good and I just read another mystery involving knitters by Anne Canadeo.   I haven't checked out the store mentioned to see if it's a real store like in the Sefton books.

Pictures of some of my recent knitting can be seen in Webshots. 

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/575662288HenzEh

LindaB48

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Aug 18, 2010 5:24 PM

SusanD,

I love your hats!  KnitPicks has some wonderful yarn, but I've never attempted felting. 

LindaB48

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Aug 18, 2010 5:33 PM

hi zassz,

loved your pics in the reader gallery. so now i am starting to understand. we are supposed to tell what yarn we used and describe it a bit? i'll get this computer stuff eventually! didn't you love the entrelec scarf? the colors are gorgeous. i was reading about it the other day and it sounds really confusing to me. we'll have to dive in and try it some day! are you still thinking of the l&p vest? hope so as ot looks like it would be fun. trying to remember what your questions were. i know you had 4! haha! today was a bit busy so i didnt' get much done on my latest project, that k4tog sweater! hopefully you were able to relax and recover from your frustrating day yesterday. oh and the llittle teddy with the sweater is for neice's hubby. i made the green baby things for him for fathers day. saw the little teddy and of course had to dress him to match. too funny. plus my fav color green. off to dinner. chat tomorrow!

sweet dreams,

sharon

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 107
SusanD@51 wrote
on Aug 19, 2010 7:29 AM

Hi Linda,

Felting is really rather easy.  I do it in my washing machine.  Small load, really hot water, and I use dish detergent so it's nice and sudsy.  I agitate it , stop the machine and check it, agitate it more if necessary, put it on a rinse cycle let it spin long enough to get the soap and  a lot of the water out, pull it out shape it, sometimes using my head or a manikin head and then let it dry naturally.  I don't use the dryer and it felts quite nicely.  I have also felted fiber trends clogs and my family loves to wear them in the winter.  We live in AZ so a lot of our floors are tile so they are just the slippers for warmth and comfort.

Susan

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,769
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 19, 2010 11:45 AM

Hi LindaB48 

Ok I am on top of it.  I will go online first a the library website and try to see if my local lib has it and if not I will request it to be delivered there so I can pick it up.  It is a really nice feature of the library services.  Have you ever tried it? 

Now I can't wait to go see some of your knitting. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,769
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 19, 2010 12:17 PM

Yeah! Yogama, 

Yes, I am back to normal, thank you.  I loved your pictures too.  Yes, the colors in the entrelac are so "up" live, and vivacious.  Entrelac is fun, concentrate and you'll enjoy it.  Have you ever tried the Pavillion Stitch?  It is really fun, especially if you use a variagated yarn.  You can see the stitch pattern and directions on http://knittingonthenet.com/stitches/pavilion.htm    If you can't pull it up go to knittingonthenet and type in search box Pavillion Stitch.  It's a zigzag in pink in the picture and the reverse side is good too. 

Yes to the  l & p vest and I pulled out the pattern directions just yesterday and put them on top so I can go and get the yarn.  Are you going to do it?  I hope so!  What color are you thinking of?  Hope you had a nice dinner. 

It was very warm here yesterday and the heat cuts my appetite down.  So I did write out a few patterns that I want to save.  Once I do them, if Ilike the way it comes out I add it to my little book, like the one you keep as well.  This one was for a fingerless glove that I did my own pattern for.  Since it was hot, I just decided to do a little writing. 

It's funny, I put all the little stuffed animals in a big basket.  I did a few repairs, washing, etc. and then arranged them all together except for the largest bear (won't fit).  One of the little white bears belonged to my son and one day i just stuck a cute little t-shirt on him that looked so cute and fit just right.  Wow, you didn't leave anyone out, niece's hubby even got  a gift.  So nice. 

Before I forget, if you get a second, would you write also about the reason you used the sock yarn for your baby socks and booties over in the "Sockupied"  I was hoping to get comments about sock yarns in one place on just one subject of WHY people choose the yarns they use for those things like all socks and what they like about working with the yarn they picked.  Then when someone wants to pick up a yarn, they can read about it quickly and get info.  So without having to read through all the posts about other sock related stuff (which we love to read) but this would be about the YARN and what it is good for.  I was hoping that it was a good idea, but mayb not?  Now I trigerred another thought that has nothing to do with this but I'll tell you anyway -- " Like War, what is it good for?  Absolutely nothing!"   Remember that song? 

ok girl, i'm off and TTYS - HAVE A GREAT DAY. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Aug 19, 2010 2:10 PM

hi zassz,

love that pavillion stitch. never saw it before and it looks very inetresting. i may have to try that one also. i have a few books on different stitches and edgings. for awhile there i was trying to do a little design work. i can see it in my head but then when i try to write it down i get confused, so i just go with it and make it work, then write it down after. i do like it better working from someone else's pattern though. takes the thinking out of the equation. and i do want to try entrelec. that scarf is haunting me with the gorgoeus colors. and i love color! maybe a present for someone at christmas. we shall see.

good luck with that vest. let me know what you decide to use and dont' forget to post pics! i have a few more projects to get done before i can start on that one. i'm heading to nh this weekend for my neice's wedding and stopping in conn on the way at my fav yarn shop. i have a list of yarn i want to buy. somethign to make the chiral cardigan, some mittens, sock yarn and some other things i cannot rememeber right now. you will have to knot a little sweater for that teddy. simple and easy and fun. i have a little one on my bed that sits propped against a pillow. he/she also has a sweater. made a couple for my mom years ago. she has one on her bed also and changes the sweater with the seasons. too silly i know, but fun.

i do like you idea of having a sock glossary or dictionary available. i'll dig my yarn out and write something about what i used. must head to the grocery store now so we can have some food in this house. i am out of everthing! and then pants shopping for son so he has something to wear to the wedding. his job is very casual and he wears regular clothes - shorts, jeans etc.  he does not own anything even like khakis! borrowing a jacker and shirt and tie from hubby. too funny. older son has 2 suits and plenty of dress clothes. different personalities!

and yes - i do remember that song! war is good for absolutely nothing, but yarn is good for everything. see? my philosophy is if you let is knitters/crocheters/beaders/embroidereres/quilters/ sewers - you get the idea - if you let us run the world it would be a much calmer, more peaceful place to be.......don't get me started!

happy knitting,

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,769
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 19, 2010 2:37 PM

Yogama, 

Chuckle, chuckle,  chuckle. 

So glad you love that stitch too!  It'll be interesting what you work it up into.  It could be good for alot of applications.  I like the way you put that, "knot a little sweater".  Well, since you put it that way, I think I will.  Hope you have a ball yarn shopping and pick out nice yarns you'll love for that chiral sweater, especially.   I know you really want to do that one. 

I'm pretty hungry today, didn't eat much yesterday, so I am looking forward to a nice dinner.  Hope you all enjoy your wedding celebration. 

Page 4 of 37 (547 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS