HATS CRAZY

This post has 546 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 20, 2010 12:34 AM

Hi LindaB488,

I just searched for Maggie's book on library and they have 4 copies at different branches, so I request it to be sent to my nearest library.  I read the review and it really perked my interest about the "House of Lambspun" and of course there is a free pattern inside for a cloche hat.  I already make a good pecan pie but I will check out the recipe too.   Thanks!

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 20, 2010 12:51 AM

Linda

I tried pulling your site album but could not get it.  Is there another way to search it. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Aug 20, 2010 8:51 AM

ZassZ,

Here's the link again.  If it doesn't work, try the next way below.  A few more steps, but it will get you there.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/575662288HenzEh

1.  www.webshots.com

2. at the top of the page you'll see a SEARCH space.  Type in lilbitgal2, then next to that you'll see a drop down arrow...click on Home and Garden, then hit the GO button.  A bunch of individual photos will come up of my dolls.  Just click on any photo and when the next page comes up above the photo it says ... lilbitgal2: albums: then the name of the photo.   Click on the Albums and my site will come up.  Then click on page 2 and the knitting album is on that page. 

Kind of a round about way, but it gets you there.  Don't know why the link I sent didn't work.

LindaB48

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Aug 20, 2010 8:54 AM

Oh good ZassZ!  I know you'll enjoy the books and I have enjoyed the patterns.  I want to make the afghan in one of the books, but I have to save up to get the yarn.  I hate when the dollars get in the way of making something.  Crying

LindaB48

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Aug 20, 2010 8:59 AM

Susan,

Thanks for the info on the hat felting.  Last night I was going through a bunch of loose patterns and came across one for knitting a hat to felt.  The knitted hat looked huge, but the felted hat next to it was just the right size.  I may have to give this a try just to see how it comes out.  I printed out your message to put with the pattern, so I'll remember what you said.

LindaB48

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 20, 2010 12:15 PM

Hi LindaB48, 

What yarn do you want to get for the afghan?  You may have read some posts about the Eyelet Cowl under date of August 11, 2010 - wherein I saw a yarn I fell in love with but was so expensive.  So I will still visit the shop because they are having a trunk show at the end of August and I just visited the website again and found out from their upcoming schedule that they will be back again in October.  The site is at Tanglewood Fiber Creations and they have a gorgeous cashmere yarn, which I won't even try to save up for.  I wish they would have a "door prize" giveaway for customers with this yarn.  (Yes, dream on!)  The cowl requires 2 skeins of the yarn at $150.00 each; see what I mean?  Sad  I am going to try to get the look but with a more affordable substitute.   

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Aug 20, 2010 2:33 PM

ZassZ,

I'd be afraid to make anything out of yarn costing $150 a skein!  I would be mortified if it got dirty and had to be cleaned!  

I'm not even looking at any of the nice cashmere's or alpaca, etc.; but to get enough yarn to make the afghan will cost $80 to $120 with the wools I've looked at.  My mother keeps saying why are you wanting wool?  She still knits mostly with acrylics for winter items, unless I give her some of my handspun to use.   I looked through my handspun, but I don't have anything that would be heavy enough for the gauge or enough of it to make an afghan in one color.    I've recently become prisoner to a limited income so have to be careful with my spending.  One of these days I'll go over to my storage unit and pull out a few things to sell on eBay, then I can indulge in a yarn purchase. 

My girlfriend goes to yard sales, estate sales and always finds great buys.  Last week she brought me a bag with 5 balls of Bucilla Mohara, imported from Italy (70%wool, 20% pure mohair, 10%nylon). They are good size balls, but the yardage isn't listed.  I've been looking at it trying to figure out what I'm going to make.  You mentioning that cowl has started me thinking I could make a cowl and give it to that same girlfriend for a Christmas present.  It's a natural color so would go with anything. Might even have enough to make her a hat to match! 

LindaB48

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 20, 2010 3:30 PM

Hi Linda, 

Guess what?  You wouldn't have to make a hat to match because the Eyelet Cowl goes over the head and neck and shoulders.  It is pretty.  If you care to see it at http://VogueKnitting.com/vk360/vk360_holiday_2009.aspx   or just go to the site, click at top on VK360 when you pull up the issue for Holiday 2009, you'll see 6 blue rectangles.  Click the top right which says Think Big and the cowl will come up in a yellow variegated yarn.  The pic does not do this yarn justice, but that's the cowl. 

Well something you said got me thinking.  If your whole bag of yarn for the afghan will be approx. $120, then maybe, just maybe?  chuckle What color is your Bucilla Mohara?  The pattern uses size 8, 24" circular and two size 8 double pointed.  If your yarn would look good and you can get the right gauge.  The whole pattern uses 2) 4oz./113 g hanks ea. approx. 188 yd. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Aug 20, 2010 3:52 PM

ZassZ,

That looks like an interesting pattern.  The tag on the yarn doesn't give needle size, but I'd think an 8 would work.  I could do up a small swatch to see what it comes out like.  I'll do that tonight. The tag says 40 grams, but that's not much help yardage wise.   The color isn't really beige, I'd call it more of a  natural....darker than cream.  Does that make any sense?  Anyway, I'll do the swatch and take a photo of it soon as I can.    Just found out hubby is coming home on Sunday so I have to get the place ready and buy some groceries to feed him with, so will be busy the next 36 hours. 

LindaB48

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 107
SusanD@51 wrote
on Aug 21, 2010 6:06 AM

Linda,

Yes, once knit the hats are hugh but you would be surprised how much shrinkage occurs when felted.  Good Luck! Have Fun!

Susan

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 21, 2010 4:53 PM

Hi Linda, 

I liked your photos and in particular, the handspun dbl thread yarn for the jacket is very nice.  Your blue/white hat and the handspun lavender hat I love.   The jeweltone on the felted sock is so pretty and bright.  Just enough blue to make them pop. 

Now do you make these dolls & the diaramas as well? 

Glad you saw the cowl site.  And if you swatch on size 8 needles you can go from there up or down, hopefully you won't have to change needle size.  Your not planning on felting this are you?  Just straight knitting at the right gauge?  The neutral color of your yarn should be nice I think.  I will look forward to seeing your pattern swatch.  Happy cooking!  Nice to cook for someone who appreciates and enjoys your food. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 21, 2010 5:30 PM

Hi Linda, again, 

LindaB48:

Hi ZassZ,

I got the pattern out of a book I recently read.  It's a series by Maggie Sefton of mysteries based around a knitting shop (which is a real shop) in Fort Conner, north of Denver, Colorado.  Each book has one or two patterns and a recipe or two of some of the goodies the ladies eat during the story.   The hat pattern is in "Dyer Consequences".

When I spoke with the librarian who ordered my book, she mentioned that her mother knits, so she thought her mother might enjoy these books as well.  It really perked her interest when I told her that they had been recommended to me by another knitter and there are patterns and recipes included in each book.   She will get one for her mom to see how she likes it. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Aug 21, 2010 10:14 PM

ZassZ,

Glad you enjoyed seeing my knitting.  That handspun jacket is heavy.  It will be a good winter jacket (not sweater).   The socks got felted because they are washed and dried in the machines.  When I take them out of the dryer, I take both ends and pull to stretch them, but the yarn is felted together.  They weren't planned as felted socks.

My late husband made the wooden Hitty dolls and I made some cloth dolls, but the other dolls are all nicer play dolls.  Yes, I made the diaramas and if you were to look through the many photos, you'd see sweaters, hats, afghans, etc. all made to the doll's sizing.   All sizes from 2 inches to 24 inches tall.  My dolls are all dressed well.  Better than me in many cases.  LOL 

I put photos of the mohair yarn in my other site.  Maybe it will be easier to get to there.  It's Picturetrail.com.  If the link doesn't take you there, then just type lindabright  as one word in the search box and you'll come to the page.   Scroll to the bottom of the page and the album titled Sample.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/22843717

He's gone 3 weeks at a time and I don't cook  while he's gone, so I have to remember everything when he comes home. It is much nicer to cook for someone.

I started knitting a vest out of handspun last night.  It has a Twisted Rib, which I've never done before; but once I got the hang of it, it's easy to do.  It's on a 6 needle so it's not a loose knit style.  I think it will be a nice style though....just stockinette stitch for the body.  Love no brainer knitting.

LindaB48

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 22, 2010 9:27 PM

Hi LindaB48,

I have never known about these dolls before.  Do they have a significance (like historical) or do people collect them or enter competitons?  I can't imagine making such tiny clothes (for the 2" dolls) but obviously they have been made.  Do you knit them as well or hand sew?   Just amazing work! 

So what neutral color is your vest going to be?  Well it's nice to learn a new stitch.  So much to learn and I hope you enjoy your new knitting project.  I'll be going over to see your mohair. 

I have a pair of  fingerless mitts on a pair of addi circulars which are almost done.  I like doing them together rather than finishing one completely and then having to do the second one.    I thought I would finish them up before I go out to get the yarn for my Eyelet Cowl or my Lutz & Patmos Vest.  I need yarn for both.  

I am anticipating my book arriving - actually I am expecting two, the one you recommended and I also requested the one Andrea told me about for yarn dying. 

Have a good evening. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 107
SusanD@51 wrote
on Aug 23, 2010 7:58 AM

I was at the Library this weekend and I found the book "A Killer Stitch" by Maggie Sefton.  I also saw "Dyer Consequences" but didn't check it out.  I will when I return this book after reading.  It's a pretty fast reading book.  I'm enjoying it.  Thanks for the book referral Linda.

Susan

Page 5 of 37 (547 items) « First ...  < Previous  3 4 5 6 7  Next >  ... Last » | RSS