HATS CRAZY

This post has 546 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Aug 23, 2010 10:27 AM

ZassZ,

The dolls I have are either vintage, like the 50's from childhood, or new.  There is a HUGE number of people out there who collect dolls and not just the type you put on a shelf and look at.  They change the clothes, make scenes and do stories with them.   Many of us have never left our childhood. LOL  It's like knitting....you can never have too many dolls vs you can never have too much yarn! 

My vest ended up a heathered soft blue handspun.  Not as neutral as I thought I'd go, but I have lots of blue in my wardrobe so it will go with a lot of my clothes. 

I'm sure you'll enjoy the book and want to read the whole series. 

LindaB48

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Aug 23, 2010 10:30 AM

Susan,

These books are a fast read, but good stories and the patterns are an added plus.   You'll have them all read before you know it. 

LindaB48

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 23, 2010 1:48 PM

Hi LindaB48

I read that the original Hitty found by Rachel Field, inspired her book published in 1929, "Hitty: Her First Hundred Years".  I read that the original doll is 6.25", carved from white ash and purchased from a New York City antique shop in the 1920's.  Hitty (short for Mehitabel) is currently held by the Stockbridge Library Museum in Stockbridge, Mass.   

Did you spin your own handspun or purchase it? 

Hi SusanD@51,

If you see this Susan, the titles in the Maggie Sefton series are:

1)  Skein of the Crime; 2) Dropped Dead Stitch; 3) Dyer Consequences; 4) Fleece Navidad; 5) A Killer Stitch; 6) Dying to Sell; 7) Knit One Kill Two;

8) Needled to Death 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Aug 23, 2010 3:11 PM

ZassZ,

You know a lot about Hitty.  When I bought my first one, my husband teased that he better make me some because he knew I never had just one doll of any kind.  He made a little more than 3 dozen of them and ended up selling most of them.

Yes, my handspun is what I've spun.  I have 3 wheels now (used to have 14) now.  I haven't spun for quite a while, but I have lots of it back stocked. 

Dying to Sell (6) is not about knitting, it's about real estate.  All the rest have to do with knitting.   Skein of the Crime is the newest book....about a month or so. 

LindaB48

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 23, 2010 9:09 PM

Hi Linda, 

Well I  didn't before you mentioned, then got curious to know a little bit of the history.  By the way the other site for your yarn won't let me pull up.  You could put some up here if you feel like it sometime.  Love to see your work and thanks.   

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 107
SusanD@51 wrote
on Aug 24, 2010 6:45 AM

Thanks Linda for the book list.  It will keep me busy along with my knitting for winter.

I've never heard of "Hitty" before so I guess I"ll do a little research.

Susan

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Aug 24, 2010 8:47 AM

Hi - I've been following this thread.  I'm very excited about the Maggie Sefton mysteries.  I never heard of them.  Do you recall which book has the hat pattern " Dyer Consequence"?  Thanks, so much.

A new knitter, Robin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Aug 24, 2010 10:15 AM

Robin,

Dyer Consequence is the title of the book.  The hat pattern is in that book. 

LindaB48

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Aug 24, 2010 10:24 AM

http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/Fling_CotChen_hats.html

Seasonal hat, but I thought of you, ZassZ, when I saw it.  Something to add to your hat arsenal.  Wink

LindaB48

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 24, 2010 10:31 AM

Good Morning, 

I like the sign in the window.  WinkWink

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 24, 2010 10:58 AM

Hello to you Robin, 

Glad you are joining us.  I am planning to make the cloche hat from the pattern in the Dyer Consequence book as soon as it gets here.  The library is sending it to my local branch for pick up.  I hope the hat is a nice pattern that I will like.  Right now, I am practicing an "Eyelet & Flame" stitch pattern.  It's a nice flat but interesting & easy stitch pattern & I am having fun with it.  I will be incorporating it into something I will be making soon.  

Please don't hesitate to ask for any help, we all ask for help at one time or another and are happy to "help and be helped."   There is always some new technique, cast on, or stitch to learn.  Not to mention all the different kinds of knitting needles you'll start using and what needles you prefer with different types of yarn.  Some day soon you will say your an 'experienced' knitter (like maybe as soon as you 'experience' one of the most common "experiences" we all have as knitters, i.e., ripping out rows of knitting  Huh?).   Don't let it dishearten you.  Maybe why we enjoy knitting so much is that we can just keep learning new things at our own individual pace.  How did you get interested in knitting? 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Aug 24, 2010 11:03 AM

LOL  I hadn't noticed that! 

LindaB48

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,770
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 24, 2010 11:36 AM

Ok now would you REALLY make that hat? 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Aug 24, 2010 12:18 PM

Not for myself....NO.  But I have a couple friends who'd get a charge out of wearing it.   OR if my kids were still young, I could see making it for a costume. 

LindaB48

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 107
SusanD@51 wrote
on Aug 24, 2010 8:48 PM

Hi All,

Does anyone know where I can get a pattern for a fun multicolored jester hat for winter.  I remember coming across apattern with three or four floppy points but I can't find it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Susan

Page 6 of 37 (547 items) « First ...  < Previous  4 5 6 7 8  Next >  ... Last » | RSS