HATS CRAZY

This post has 546 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Sep 2, 2010 8:07 PM

hi zassz,

she loved them. she loved them. so all that hard work was for something wonderful. so many times non-knitters do not appreciate the things we lovingly make. but she did so that is wonderful. and to answer your other post - i am hoping my friend patty will be hooked! i did knit up several bangles and am felting them in the wash as we speak. i plan to embelesh them with colorful cotton yarn tomrrow so they are done when she gets here. that way i can say - lookee here. this is what we can do! haha! i will keep you posted!

happy knitting,

sharon

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Sep 2, 2010 8:27 PM

Back when all my friends were having babies, I always made a layette for them.  None of them were knitters or crocheters, so they really appreciated having something hand made for their new baby.      I'm not understanding what your bangles are.   Please post pictures when you have them finished.  I'd love to see.  Good luck with enticing your friend. 

LindaB48

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Sep 3, 2010 4:27 PM

hi linda,

go to the main kd screen and click on patterns. go to "other free patterns" and look for bevy of bangles. i did knit the bangles and felted them. simple, simple. now i need to wrap with colorful cotton yarn and i will take pic of finished product. fun and simple!

happy knitting,

sharon

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Sep 3, 2010 6:51 PM

Thanks for the directions.  I found it.   I couldn't figure out what a bangle was....it's a bracelet....dah.   I was thinking more in line with some sort of decoration for a room. 

This morning before I went to work, I ordered a used copy of "Hattitude:Knits for Every Mood".   I always hit the used section of Amazon before spending big dollars on books of any kind.   Lots and lots of hats to make in this book.  Can't wait for it to arrive. 

LindaB48

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 4, 2010 2:40 PM

Hi Yogama & Linda, 

Now I can look forward to seeing your bangles.  Will you put them under Fabulous Projects Completed Lately? 

Who is the author of Hatitudes?  I want to check the library for it - to find it easier with the author's name.

How are you both doing today?

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Sep 4, 2010 3:29 PM

ZaasZ,

I'm not sure if I'll make the bangles.  I don't wear bracelets and I don't know anyone who does.   No kids or teens in my life. 

The author of Hatitudes is Cathy Carron; it's a paperback. 

I'm reading another book.... Patterns in the Sand by Sally Goldenbaum       Yet another knitting mystery.  This one has a pattern for a Hat Hugger, a hat made especially for chemo patients who've lost their hair.    The story is based on the coast of Massachussetts and the ladies are making hats for the chemo patients who live in the area and have to deal with the cold winters.    Of course, they always mention the lovely soft fantastic colors of yarn, but no brands or names.   Just once I'd like to know what some of the heavenly yarns are!    Her books are good...also read  Death by Cashmere.     I'm enjoying the hunt for knitting mysteries and building my library. 

Also working on the cable hat  pattern I recently bought. by The Fibre Company called Kiva Hattu.   Has lattice cables.  I was doing fine till just a few minutes ago when I notice the cable was "off" and looked back to find I'd miscounted at the beginning of the round, so now I'm in the process of "undoing" the stitches in that round to get to the mistake stitch.  I don't mind undoing stitches, but undoing cable stitches is not fun. 

Speaking of cables....does anyone know of a video showing a good way to hold the cable needle while working?  I find it combursome and have to stop to switch the cable needle to the other hand with every cable.  A slow process.  I'd like to find a way to manuever the CN easier and keep the knitting flow going. 

I'm home all weekend with nothing but laundry, reading and knitting. 

LindaB48

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 4, 2010 4:20 PM

LindaB48,

Hi there,

Try Youtube and in search box dropsdesigncable.  You should get the video:  cable over 4 sts without cable needle.  You can take it from there.  On the next video after that one plays is one from "Knittinghelp". 

Or maybe Yogama could give you some help, she just finished a cabled baby sweater with lots of cables.  I usually go without the needle, depending on if the yarn is not slippery enough to loose the stitches.  What yarn are you using? 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Sep 4, 2010 4:46 PM

I tried the cable  w/o a needle bit, but I ended up losing a stitch and having to get a crochet hook out to pick it up.  After a couple times of that I gave up on that way.   I looked at some of the Utube videos, but they all put their CN down and then picked it up again.    I hang on to it with my left hand, but then have to switch hands when I'm ready to shift the stitches, then back to the left hand while knitting them.    I just figured someone had to have figured a smoother way to do this without having to either put the CN down and pick it up again or shift hands back and forth.    I'll keep working at it and see if I can come up with a smoother way of doing it. 

I've redone the row I undid and my cable is going the right direction now.  I'm hoping to finish the hat with the long weekend, however, with all these cables I won't guarantee it.  Wink

LindaB48

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 4, 2010 10:24 PM

Hi LindaB48, 

Well only one stitch, you did pretty well!  I think if you get a little more practice in it will be a cinch and you won't lose any more stitches.  It wasn't so bad for the first attempt.  I tend to drop my cable. needle as well (when I use one) or if the yarn is catching enough, I do it without the cable needle and the stitches stay in place.  If you want to hold on to the cable needle, then I tend to let go of the left hand needle, it's not going anywhere anyway.  You could pust the stitches back a little bit if your worried about them slipping off when you let go of the left hand needle til you are done with the cable stitches.   If I find another video I'll put the link up for you. 

I received my Piecework Magazine along with the Knitting Traditions today.  So I saw the pic of Andrea's hat in there.  It looks really nice.  I am looking forward to reading some more this week end.   

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Sep 4, 2010 10:30 PM

LindaB48:
they all put their CN down and then picked it up again.    I hang on to it with my left hand, but then have to switch hands when I'm ready to shift the stitches, then back to the left hand while knitting them.    I just figured someone had to have figured a smoother way to do this without having to either put the CN down and pick it up again or shift hands back and forth.    I'll keep working at it and see if I can come up with a smoother way of doing it. 

Hi Linda,

I know the CN will give me trouble too.  Have you tried a short circular needle in place of the CN?  The stitches don't fall off if you slide them into the middle of the needle cable.  Then its ready to pick up when you are.

Good knits, ZoeSmile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Sep 4, 2010 10:58 PM

Hi LindaB48....

I've found that the "no CN" idea works better w/ some projects than others...so don't give up too quickly. When it works...it's great!!!   When I made my "Mr Greenjeans" cardigan...no CN worked A1 on the body. But as soon as I tried it on the sleeves...not so great. I think it was the smaller circumference?  As well...some cables are more suited than others.

As to "where to put it".....I find that varies w/ the project too. Sometimes I hold it w/ the little finger of my right hand (I'm a picker). Other times I just stick it into the knitting below the next cable. If your sts are loose enough on the main N....you could try to just stick the CN thru the next sts it will be needed on. Then when you come to them...just slide the main N out of the way...leaving the CN ready to go.  It also ends up in my mouth too...though I probably shouldn't admit that!!!

Take Care ...... Andrea

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Sep 5, 2010 11:32 AM

Andrea, loved the last sentence!  Made me smile.  I'll give that slipping it through the next to be used cable stitches and see how that goes.   I have to admit, though, that the mouth thing is probably my most used method.    Thanks so much for the help.  I was hoping my explanation wasn't too confusing.  I'm not having trouble with the cables and the CN, it's when I'm not doing the cable that the CN is a bother.  You understood me. 

A "Mr. Greenjeans" cardigan?  I remember him from my childhood.  Is there a picture in the galleries?  I'll have to go see if I can find it.  

LindaB48

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Sep 5, 2010 1:50 PM

Hi LindaB48...

LindaB48:
A "Mr. Greenjeans" cardigan?

That is a patt fr www.knitty.com  Fall 2007 I think?  Anyway, it was a very popular patt...there are pics of soooo many versions on the internet. I love mine. Here's the link to the  (free) patt:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall07/PATTgreenjeans.html

I don't have a pic of mine posted anywhere...sorry. So far I've never posted pics in the galleries...just on SOCKS  + the Every Way Wrap KAL threads mostly.  For mine I used Briggs & Little ww 100% wool in their anniversary colorway (blues). I also used 4 buttons instead of 1 to button the whole cable part. I've seen versions that only used a shawl pin + no buttons too. It's a great patt ...you can customize it to your choices very easily as it's worked top down w/ raglan sleeves. I do intend to make another.

Take Care ..... Andrea

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Sep 5, 2010 3:56 PM

Andrea, thank you for the link!  I love this sweater.  LOL  I keep finding new things I want to make and my hands can only go so fast! 

LindaB48

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 5, 2010 7:45 PM

Zoe,

I was reading you needed a hat.  I know these aren't colors you need but just thought I would take pictures for ideas on different styles.  Since I don't know what you face shape is or of any style preference .  As you can see the one is a nice big brim and your hair peeks thru the top.  The other just covers the top of the head nice and neatly. 

Page 8 of 37 (547 items) « First ...  < Previous  6 7 8 9 10  Next >  ... Last » | RSS