HATS CRAZY

This post has 546 Replies | 12 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Sep 7, 2010 8:22 AM

hi all,

love the hats. and in pink for zoe they would be very pretty!

i did try the bangles this weekend. knitted up several and washed them to felt them. just tossed them in the washer and then the dryer. is was like magic. they did shrink ip and turn into bandle bracelets. now i need to wrap them with colorful yarn. i'll get to it. playing catch up today after the fun long weekend. too much touring around with friends, eating too much and too much wine. today i need water and lettuce leaves! our friends had fun though. they love the country roads, little towns, quaint shops. the whole vermont experience. unfortunately we did not have tim to knit at all. well, you know i did. but we didn't have time for my friend to learn. she was fine with it and was happier exploring.

have a happy day,

sharon

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Sep 7, 2010 10:47 AM

Sharon, sounds like you had great fun!   There will be other times to teach your friend to knit. 

LindaB48

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Sep 7, 2010 10:51 AM

hi linda,

and you are right about that. i just posted a free cowl pattern over on socks. it was available at the cute little yarn shop we visited. a different twist to the same old thing!

sharon

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Sep 7, 2010 11:47 AM

I saw that cowl and printed it out.  I'm going to try to get it to work with the yarn I'm using for one of my hats.  Make that to go with the hat instead of a scarf. 

LindaB48

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Sep 7, 2010 5:58 PM

great idea! simple and fun and different. what color are you doing it in? and will you post pics? i am thinking it might be a good christmas gift! one skein wonder!

happy knitting,

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 8, 2010 8:45 PM

yogama:

i did try the bangles this weekend.

Hi Yogama, 

Is this a different bangle pattern or the one you mentioned earlier?  I would love to see them if you get a chance.  Glad you had such a good time.  How long a drive from NJ to Vermont?  Your friend isn't off the hook yet - you'll get her knitting soon and then boy oh boy you'll both be on the road again!  Automobile  I can picture the two of you searching the towns for yarn deals!  "chuckle" 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 8, 2010 9:08 PM

Hi LindaB48,

How are you doing with your cables now?  Thanks for getting back to me with the author of Hatitudes.  How do you like the latest mystery you are reading?  Nice to have a quiet weekend in.  Sometimes I just like to hibernate, especially if I know I can be knitting.  Nice n cozy. 

How are you, your sister-in-law & family?  I do not expect to hear a "fine" but am asking out of concern.  It is especially hard when no one is expecting such news.  It is never a pleasant time.  We all struggle at times, but if you need anything in the way of support, please don't hesitate. 

Seems like you library building is coming along fine though.  I wanted to ask you about the jacket picture you shared with me recently.  Was it done in a partial mitered square?  It looks like it a bit.   Oh yes, before I forget I saw you post about the hunting for needles.  I posted something under "Stash and stash management " for you to read.    

Have a good evening. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Sep 9, 2010 6:45 AM

hi again zass,

the bangles are the same as the ones i mentioned earlier. i believe they are under "other free patterns' on the kd site. they are really simple to do. knit a strip that is either 5 or 7 stitches wide and then join and then felt. i did mine in the washer and dryer and they came out just fine. then you wrap them with colorful cotton yarn. that is what makes them interesting and different. i did my base in 2 colors, one marron and one grey. i figured that way they would be sort of nuetral and i could jazz them up with color. so...that will be my next project! to finish them and then decide what is next after that? its what keeps us going isn't it? always another project...

happy knitting,

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Sep 9, 2010 9:35 AM

yogama:
the bangles are the same as the ones i mentioned earlier. i believe they are under "other free patterns' on the kd site.

http://www.knittingdaily.com/media/p/43087.aspx  Here is the bangles download link.  Happy bangles to you, happy bangles to you, .......ZoeMusic

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 9, 2010 6:13 PM

Hi Yogama, 

I looked them up again last night & see they were the same as previous.  But thanks for the additional directions.  A bit easier than putting them over the plastic molds like I had to do.  Good idea for a quick project.   

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 123
LindaB48 wrote
on Sep 10, 2010 11:59 AM

ZassZ,  the cables are going fine now.  I'm at the point where I need to start decreasing while working the cables, so we'll see if they go as well.  Both the hats I'm working on needed to go to smaller needles and wouldn't you know it.....that needle gremlin took the ones I needed!  I stopped knitting and dumped all my needles.. circulars, straight and DP, on the floor and did a complete inventory of what I have.   Now I know which sizes I'm missing and I can order and fill in.  I hate working on a project or starting a project and find out I'm missing something.   I'll go check the "Stash and Stash Management" you mentioned.

I finished Patterns in the Sand and it's a good one.  Now I'm starting "While My Pretty One Knits" by Anne Canadeo.  I've read one of her books and liked it, so this should be just as good.

My SIL is doing okay according to mom.  She lives in another town so I don't have much contact with her.  This week she had to go to his office and clean it out.  Jim had lots of technical equipment and she knows nothing about it, so a friend is helping her go through and see what can be sold and what should go to Goodwill.   I'm fine.  I've lost so much of my family over the years, I guess I've learned to get through it.  I just keep busy.

The jacket pattern was in "Top Down Sweaters" by Doreen L. Marquart.   It does have a metered type corner; much like the Zimmerman Surprise Sweater.   This pattern called for changing yarns and striping them, but I wanted something less flashy so just stayed with the one color for the body and a darker trim on the border.

LindaB48

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 10, 2010 2:31 PM

Hi LindaB48, 

I'm sure they will and glad they did!  Does that make any sense?  If you got to the decreasing stage, it must be going well as you say.  So glad.  I read your reply on Stash and know what a relief it is to be done with that. 

As far as book reading, you will not believe what I did.  My books were on a shelf to be returned.  When they were picked up someone accidentally put one of my personal hard covered knitting books in the stack and took them back to library.  Now I am waiting for the librarian to call me back to let me know if they found MY book.  Huh?  I hope so.  I do have my original purchase receipt to prove it is my book, but if they don't locate it, then I guess I'll have to back and re-purchase another from Borders.  What's that they say about making lemonade?  I need to relax my nerves while I'm waiting to find out where my book is. 

I was attracted to your jacket because of that muted look it had.  So it did have mitered corners and and I liked that too.  Doing the border in a darker color also gives it an appearance of using the variegated yarn.  I had been looking at a picture of a mitered project that had the brightly colored self-striping yarn but I like your muted yarn color for a jacket-sweater type.  I just think it looked better.  I have quite a bit of yarn I could use that would be perfect, if the gauge is right.  I will look it up and see if I can find out out about getting it.. 

That is tough.  A very difficult task to sort thru your loved ones belongings, especially when in the begining stage of grieving.  Some people can not do it.  So she must be getting the strength and that is good.  You are right, keeping busy is a big help.  It takes up your time, helps days go by.  Tire yourself out so you can rest and start a new day.  Especially good when we can see the fruits of our labor.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 109
SusanD@51 wrote
on Sep 18, 2010 9:16 AM

Hi Sharon,

I tried to find the free cowl pattern over on socks that you posted but I can't find it.  Can you post it again here?

I did download a cowl pattern for the "Angora Bamboo Cowl" from Vogue Knitting.  I would like to see the one you posted.

Susan

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Sep 18, 2010 11:43 AM

http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter07/PATTtudora.htm

hi susan,

here it is and hope you have fun knitting it. looks fairly simple and asymetrical which i like. its on my list to do. right now i am working on the mags mittens from her smittens pamphlet. very fun and fast to do. not to mix threads here, but i see you were working on the lamb critter. thanks for the heads up on the patters. i plan to do that one also and don't want to make the same mistake you did! next i do have some socks to work on. hot pink breast cancer socks. and soon as oct is breast cancer awareness month. did you catch the new cast on, it is on the kd tutorial. looks interesting.

happy knitting,

sharon

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 109
SusanD@51 wrote
on Sep 18, 2010 12:29 PM

Ou... I like it and especially in the red.  Maybe it's her gray hair that makes it pop.  It looks like it would knit up pretty fast.  I'll have to put it on my to do list.

I've never knitted a pair of mittens or at least not for many, many years. Are your pink breast cancer socks a charity knitting project? I have had two sisters with breast cancer one I lost to it when she was 57 and my other sister is a survivor.  I always do the Koman 5K every October in their honor.  My 26 year old son has done it the last two years with me and he's already asked if we're doing it again this year.

I'll have to check out the new cast on.  I have traditionally for years done the long tail cast on.  For the lamb critter I learned the cable cast on and that was easy.

Susan

Page 9 of 37 (547 items) « First ...  < Previous  7 8 9 10 11  Next >  ... Last » | RSS