Pattern PDFs and Hard to Read When Printed.

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
lauheilman wrote
on Jul 1, 2010 4:46 PM

I have a hard time reading the pattern PDFs when the instructions print out in the greyed-out font.

I am excited about knitting the Juliet Scarf from Knitting Daily TV, but the darned instructions are so hard to make out, I may have to take drastic steps and ask a friend to re-type the pattern for me.With KD's permission of course!

I imagine there may be others in the forums who may be experiencing similar difficulty.

Please consider your fans who have less-than-perfect eyesight when drafting pattern PDFs and use a more readable font. Perhaps we could have a plain text option? I would miss the photos and charts, though.

Thanks for the opportunity to speak up.

Lau

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Jul 1, 2010 7:17 PM

Hi Lau...

Just a suggestion....but I'm wondering if you can set your printer to print out darker?  Or even if a black + white setting might be darker?  Might help? I know my printer can be re-set.

Of course if you used black + white...the pics wouldn't be as nice...but maybe you could print the pics separately. Or another copy for the pics @ a "normal" setting. I know..it's a "pain" + a waste of ink to have to do it twice.

I have a problem w/ some of the diagrams in the pdfs especially...the details seem to vanish a bit. Maybe they'll listen + "darken up" their ink setting!?!?

Take Care ........ Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 2
lauheilman wrote
on Jul 3, 2010 12:56 PM

Hi, Andrea!

Thank you for the suggestions. My printer is a B&W laser printer, printing without color was not an issue, really, and I have the original PDF if I need color references.

This problem got me investigating the options and I discovered that my word processing program can convert the PDF file to a word document!

After that it was only a matter of changing the font color and making it a bit bigger. I could even save it again as a PDF.

Not having to make those changes would be very helpful, so I really hope that KD considers the problem. I wonder what KD's demographic is?  If they have many users who are in the 40+ range, they really should make the PDFs more user friendly.

It was great hearing from you. 

May the best of all things be yours........ Lau

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Sep 2, 2010 3:17 AM

I also encountered things such like this..

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS