SOCK YARN

This post has 19 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 11, 2010 10:57 PM

Hi all, 

I am curious to know from you sock knitters - what is your favorite brand of SOCK YARN and why is it your favorite?  I thought it would be a handy bit of information for anyone who wants to learn and for someone like me who never knit a sock in her life, but maybe one day WILL.  We should know what kinds of yarns are good for what kind of socks?  Just being silly.  Confused  Seriously, who better to ask than the sock knitters, themselves!

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 13, 2010 10:45 PM

Hi Zoe, 

I saw this article which explained how Regia Sock Yarn company debuted a revolutionary sock yarn with the slogan "Less sock mending with Nomotta Regia."  Regia boasted four times the durability of regular wools and shrink resistant, felt resistant and mothproof.  To accomodate the growing number of homes with automatic washers and dryers, needed to make their yarns more impervious to washing.  Ringlet Colors (self striping) and an enormous variety of self-patterning yarns mimicking Norwegian designs to yarns that imitate hand dyed products.  In 1985 they launched Regia Colors (colors still available today).  The pics were nice and the article is in Vogue Knitting Holiday 2009. 

Thanks for answering about the Bernat yarns you use too.  I am learning about sock yarns from you and Andrea as well as others and it is quite interesting. 

TTYL Big Smile  Yes and it's a good thing smiles are free cause if you knew abut my recent yarn endeavor, you might say the same thing Yogama did over in HATS CRAZY.  .  .

I need serious help!  And I do.  I need some 'help' to get that yarn - Ha Ha!

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 19, 2010 11:28 AM

Hi Amy Loug, 

I just saw your pretty blue first sock.  Would you share what you liked about working with that yarn you used? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 19, 2010 11:31 AM

Hi Susan D, 

I commented on your 2nd pair of trail socks.  I don't know if I saw the 1st pair, but I would like to know what it was about the yarn you used for them that made you use it again in the 2nd pair, different color.  Are they soft, or is the yarn fun to work with, or are they stretchy?  Just trying to get a feel for the yarns you sock knitters choose because I have yet to knit a pair.  It would be easy reference to be able to pull up those comments all in one place here. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Aug 19, 2010 2:34 PM

ZassZ:
It would be easy reference to be able to pull up those comments all in one place here. 

Hi ZassZ,

I believe that these sock yarns are best blogged on the SOCKS thread because that is where we talk socks???  There is lots of sock yarn tidbits on there when we talk socks.  It is easy enough to pull up the SOCKS thread and find everything there because its all socks and related stuff together.  It is a good thing to keep it all in one place.   All the answers are there for your above postings. 

Socks are on the needles!! Zoe Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 19, 2010 2:53 PM

Hi Zoe, 

Either way is really fine, but then I am wondering why was this category put up for?  I was thinking that info just for yarns; in other words, without all the other information in between (like yarn dying, needle sizes, trips, etc.)  this one would just run one "page" after another about the yarn.  So it would be easier to not have to sort thru the other interesting information and goodness knows it is plentiful and interesting as well!   Maybe it's not such a good idea after all.  Sad

TTL  Goin to read your other post.  Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 703
Editor
SystemAdministrator
AmyPalmer wrote
on Aug 20, 2010 12:08 PM

Hi ZassZ,

This forum was started as a place to talk about Interweave's new sock-knitting e-magazine, called Sockupied. This e-mag will be launched at the end of the month, so we opened up the forum so people could chat here. Our PR gal, Jamie Guthals, posted a preview of the cover not too long ago, check it out!

While this forum is specifically for the e-magazine, you are welcome to chat about socks here as much as you like, since sometimes we all find ourselves a bit "sockupied."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 20, 2010 12:48 PM

Hi Amy,

Very cool, thanks!  Will it be only for downlad with a subscription?  I LOVE the title, so cute!  I originally got interested in the cute play on words sock and occupied.  I really do thank you.    Wink

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Aug 20, 2010 3:11 PM

Hi...

Nice cover socks!!!  They look like they have a lot of twisted sts in them since the patt stands out quite nicely.

When will the info re: the new magazine be available? When it's launched...or will some info be available ahead of time to tempt us?

Take Care ..... Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 1
pscronce wrote
on Aug 21, 2010 7:16 AM

I am SO sockupied right now.  For the last 15 years, I've been a quilter, but I don't like wrestling fabric at the sewing machine and my eyes are getting too old to see the needle when I'm hand quilting.  So, I've re-connected with knitting.  I love socks because they're so small and portable, they don't take very long to make, and getting them to fit is relatively easy. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 21, 2010 3:52 PM

Hi pscronce, 

I am in the "cultivating" stage of my possible future "Garden of Socks".  How does that sound (Andrea & Zoe?)  So I am really still cultivating my interest and enjoying all the information I can glean from the sock posters.  It is an education in itself and they are certainly helping me.  So nice to meet you too. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 703
Editor
SystemAdministrator
AmyPalmer wrote
on Aug 23, 2010 3:05 PM

Hi Zass,

I don't know if it will be a subscription-based download, as right now there's just the one issue! Hopefully, if people like it enough, it will go to frequency and then there might be a subscription. This is a new endeavor for us, so we're learning a lot as we go!

Amy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 703
Editor
SystemAdministrator
AmyPalmer wrote
on Aug 23, 2010 3:23 PM

Hi Andrea!

Good eye! Those socks, which are an exclusive, new pattern from Cookie A, do involve a lot of twisted stitches. 

I haven't heard much about release info for Sockupied. There was a lot of press around the Quilting Arts e-magazine, In Stitches, some of which included discussion on Sockupied. Sorry I don't have more information about that!

Amy

Not Ranked
Posts 1
maharford wrote
on Sep 4, 2010 9:18 AM

Sockupied is called an e-magazine. Does this mean there will be more issues in the months to come wiyh my subscription?  I have enjoyed it so, but hope there is more to come.  There is so much to knitting socks I could see the e-mag going on and on for many issues.

As for a favorate sock yarn....probably what ever I have in my needles at the time. Seriously, a good durable, washable yarn has become more important to me because I gift socks a lot and know the recipients are not yarn care savvy. 

My knowlege grows and grows with every piece I read.  Thanks, Marge

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Sep 9, 2010 1:13 PM

Dear Marge,

We started this as just one issue so that we could see whether people would be interested in a whole eMag about socks! So for now, it's a single issue and not a subscription, but we'd love to do more in the future. (There are so many things I'd love to cover!)

Best,

Anne

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS