SOCK YARN

This post has 19 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 11
on Sep 21, 2010 9:58 AM

Where do I find the SOCKS thread??? I am having a lot of trouble finding the kind of sock yarn I want. I DO NOT like fingering weight. It is like knitting with thread. I would like to get DK weight or even worsted weight yarn in a merino wool/nylon combo that is really soft. I cannot find these yarns anywhere. Do you have any ideas?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Sep 21, 2010 10:21 AM

Hi Elaine,

http://www.knittingdaily.com/forums/t/5076.aspx  Click on this one.  Fingering weight yarn is usually a #1 or #2 weight yarn.  I like the DK (which is #3 weight).  I like the Bernat's yarns in that weight and most of them are usually the acrylic yarn.  I have allergies to the wool yarns.  I am going to try and post your blog on the socks thread as there are other knitters there who have different yarn experiences.

See you there, Zoe Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Sep 21, 2010 12:48 PM

Hi Elaine...

Yes please...do feel welcome to come + join us @ "SOCKS". Either use Zoe's link in the post above or:  look on the main forum page under "Knitting Chat". If that's not the thread showing...just click on "Knitting Chat" + you'll get the list of threads.

Personally I do knit most of my socks w/ fingering wt....but also use others. Either 100% wool or wool w/ perhaps 25% nylon added for strength. I'm actually on my 3rd men's sock in a row right now knitting them w/ SRK's "On Your Toes"  DK Boot Sock Yarn w/ aloe vera. Machine wash + dry.....75% wool/ 25% nylon. Have made lots of prs w/ this as well as Regia's 6 ply which is approx same wt + fiber. There are lots of sock yarns that are not "thread"!!!

Come on over to "SOCKS" + say HI.....I'll find you some links to yarns.

Take Care ...... Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 11
on Sep 22, 2010 8:52 AM

Hi Zoe,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll try the site you gave me. Do you find acrylic yarns to be too stretchy? Also, how do I get to the SOCK thread blog site?

Thanks,

Elaine

Not Ranked
Posts 11
on Sep 22, 2010 8:58 AM

Hello Andrea,

Thanks for the advice. I'll use Zoe's link right away. I'm new to all this; I find it comforting that people with experience are willing to help.

Hope to meet you on the SOCK thread,

Elaine

Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS