Yarn you no longer love

This post has 58 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 8
EmmaS wrote
on Aug 6, 2008 8:03 AM

Can you dye it? I've never dyed yarn before so i don't know if you can dye cotton but google it and see what happens.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
JaynaM wrote
on Aug 6, 2008 8:29 PM

Yes, you can dye cotton, especially if it's 100% cotton.  Use Procion dyes for cotton.  The key to dying cotton yarn is to wind it out of the skein into a hank and loosely tie it in several places around the hank so that the dye can get to all of the yarn.  Once it's dry wind it back into a skein and knit away.  Be sure you dye all the yarn you want to use for a project at once (remember dye lots?) and it will all match.

Jayna Marrinan

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
crookshanks wrote
on Aug 10, 2008 6:18 PM

Oh ok! That's nice for them, then! Cool

I just didn't want them to get hurt! [:'(]

My jewelry website: http://jewelrybyme.webs.com/

Not Ranked
Posts 9
JillD wrote
on Aug 13, 2008 6:28 AM

I do most of what everyone else has done: if I really can't bear to even handle it, I'll give it away to a deserving cause: if I can knit with it but don't want to own the result, I may knit things such as baby clothes for people in need, or scarves and hats, or pet blankets, and then give them away. But I also use yucky yarn for practising: learning a new cast-on or cast-off, or a new lace pattern, that sort of thing, before I make hideous mistakes with yarn I like.

Don't get the impression that I'm really organised, though. I don't often get round to swatches...

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Aug 16, 2008 9:16 PM

I trade it on Ravelry. That way everyone gets rid of yarn they don't like and receive yarn they love. it is a win win.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
rgoldsmith wrote
on Aug 17, 2008 9:25 AM

Hi Jules

I always have a lot of "leftovers" so I make what my family call leftover afghans.  I do use at least 2 yarns at a time so it is nice and warm.  It is made just like the dish clothes we all have made for years.  Because they are so warm and Unusal they are unusal gifts that go camping, and (if made of baby colors and smaller) to showers and to college.  Well you get the idea. I have made over 80 so far. Use a large  size 13 or so circlar needle

I get requests.

MJ

Not Ranked
Posts 3
LIZZYSBITS wrote
on Aug 18, 2008 6:52 AM

Hello, I was just reading your comment about yarn that doesn't appeal to you anymore.  Maybe you could knit one of those eco string bags. You might have enough for 2 if you bought enough for a sweater.  They are handy when you are out shopping for fruit/veg, and great for the beach too. If the cotton is not too expensive and you didn't mind turning it into dishcloths, you could use it up this way.  I also like those bottle carriers with shoulder straps, great for gifts.  

Lots of Love

LIZZY 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Mobea wrote
on Aug 22, 2008 1:44 PM

Another Idea - In my area there is a Women's Prison that accepts donations of yarn and the women knit for charity as part of rehab.  I gave them a couple of garbage bags full- I'm all for knitting as rehab!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Sep 6, 2008 7:40 PM

At my small SnB we announce a night to bring yarn we no longer covet and we all take turns swapping yarns that we want with each other. You just have to find a way to add some order to this or ladies can and have been known to get out of hand..lol. But it is still fun. We donate the rest that had no takers.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
NanciG wrote
on Sep 9, 2008 8:07 AM

The yarn, that I thought was the end of the world,  I gave a huge box  to a friend, that makes  lap blankets, for Charity.   She and her daughter worked very hard and make at least 10 !  A good cause, is an excellent way to say bye :) Nanci

Not Ranked
Posts 2
hgacres wrote
on Sep 10, 2008 10:02 AM

I'd make the blanket out of seaweed colored yran if it were for a mermaid.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
KathleenH@4 wrote
on Sep 16, 2008 5:00 PM

I attend a charity knitting every other thursday and knit up something (baby sweater, hat, scarf, mittens to give away)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
CharlotteE wrote
on Sep 28, 2008 4:00 PM

I take yarn I don't want to a thrift shop.  While I'm at the thrift shop, I look to see if someone else has left something I can use.  I have bought needles, patterns and yarn there.  The thrift shop helps everyone, so I feel good about giving them my yarn.

Preschools are happy to have yarn for their children's projects.

Some yarn I am not going to use for myself, I knit into baby things for charity or gifts.  A caps charity last winter consumed all my acrylic yarn. 

Charlotte

Not Ranked
Posts 1
MichelleH@2 wrote
on Sep 29, 2008 9:42 AM

I donate all my unwanted yarn to charities.   The Ronald McDonald House and Target House love the yarn becuase they have people come in to teach knitting to those who are there for extended periods of time.  We have an apartment complex for fixed income seniors and they knit for charity all the time so I also donate yarn there.  They love to see me coming through the door.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Annabelle wrote
on Oct 7, 2008 4:14 PM

I just found this website today after watching a Knitting Daily show on educational tv.  After reading through comments about stashes of yarn no longer appreciated, I thought about several possibilities...

Missionaries who teach crocheting and knitting to women's groups are often looking for yarn to use.  Contact your area churchwa and see if they have any connections.

Art teachers or students teaching/taking  craft classes might be interested in using such yarns for their projects.  Contact local schools or colleges.

Page 3 of 4 (59 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS