Sockupied is here! Tell us what you think!

This post has 56 Replies | 13 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 102
ForumModerator
JaimeG wrote
on Aug 30, 2010 9:02 AM

For those of you knitters who like to be in the know, here's the official press release announcing today's launch of Sockupied: http://interweave.presslift.com/sockupied

We can't wait to hear what you think of the eMag. Leave your comments here and you can also chime in on the store page for purchasing the eMag, http://shop.knittingdaily.com/Knitting/eMags.html

Not Ranked
Posts 2
ccduff wrote
on Aug 30, 2010 6:25 PM

After swearing that I wasn't going to spend another dime on knitting this month (Stitches Midwest, you know) I promptly download Sockupied.  I am still roaming around the emag and I like the format.  I was disappointed in the number of linked patterns that are Pay to Download PDFs -- I guess I wasn't expecting so much advertising in this format.  But I am enjoying the sock tips and that is the purpose, I guess.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
BarbaraM@2 wrote
on Aug 30, 2010 7:39 PM

I have purchased and downloaded Sockupied and I'm very disappointed in how poorly the videos work or should I say don't work. They start and then quit .  Some of the videos I got part way though didn't show either the sock they were talking about (Alex) or the demos kept switching positions so it was hard to follow. (casting on - first one).  For the price I paid there should have been no advertising. Two pages were waited on that.  The only video that completely played thought with out prodding was the cartoon. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Aug 30, 2010 7:47 PM

BarbaraM@2:
I'm very disappointed in how poorly the videos work or should I say don't work. They start and then quit . 

Hi Barbara,

It sounds like a case of the stitches fell off the dpns!  I haven't bought the magazine.  I do prefer the hard copies of things that I can actually hold in my hand and ponder about as I read.  I will look for it in the stores if it comes out.  I know that I get frustrated at slow videos.  Youtube seems to be my instruction video tutorial sites. 

There is a SOCKS thread that runs on KD for all interested sockers.  Have you had a chance to look through the posts there?  Love to have your input.  I made my first sock as a child and I still have it -- one red sock.  It won't fit me now of course, but it is a treasure to keep.

Feet love hand knit socks, Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 1
PamelaP wrote
on Aug 30, 2010 11:22 PM

What's there is pretty good but for the price there's way too few patterns and articles.  I was picturing content more along the lines of a standard paper knitting magazine.  This isn't even close.

Pam Wink 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
di24kk9s wrote
on Aug 31, 2010 6:13 AM

For somone who is over loaded with paper in her life, I'm a fan of anything that will provide information in a non traditional format.

Dianne

Not Ranked
Posts 2
knittingmuma wrote
on Aug 31, 2010 10:08 AM

Ditto. I must say that I am a little disapointed, but I am hopeful that with a little time K.D. will get all the bugs worked out.  It is the first issue and there are bound to be some glitches. I do hope that all the input will help to solve the problems. I am very excited about this concept and would love to see more companies go this route.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
SusanB wrote
on Aug 31, 2010 12:37 PM

I think you are on to something good. I would prefer less advertizing and more free patterns as others have stated. I had no problems with the videos. It really helps to watch something being done. I thought it was a bit pricey for the amount of patterns. I know you will be working and tweaking things in further issues. Regards. Sue

Not Ranked
Posts 4
mamanett wrote
on Aug 31, 2010 1:10 PM

VERY disappointed!  I feel that I paid a lot of money for patterns and information when I mostly paid for advertisements.  Interweave/Knitting Daily did not meet my needs this time and I am surprised.  The other disappointment I have is that I prefer knitting on two circular needles and have not used DPN's yet.  Nothing here for me but an invoice I paid.  Next time, I suggest you be more detailed in your description of what you're purchasing!!!!!!  Janet

Not Ranked
Posts 13
BarbaraM@2 wrote
on Aug 31, 2010 1:14 PM

I have sent messages, called and posted here... How do I get a fix for my copy. None of the videos will work completely. They start and then stop abruptly.  I would like to know how to fix this or can I delete my copy and download it again.  This is too pricey to have it not even working.  Where can I go for tech help????   It is not my computer because all other videos I have work just fine on it.   

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Jenn Ross wrote
on Aug 31, 2010 1:28 PM

I saw the link to Sockupied yesterday from the Knitty Blog.  As soon as I got home, I signed up, paid, and opened it.  You've done a great job on Sockupied.  The design is user-friendly and very clean.  I like the way we can navigate back and forth between articles, as well as back and forth between pages and snippets within each article. 

I have a reasonably new computer, so I had no problems at all viewing the videos.  In fact, I watched the Cast-on videos several times apiece.  Everything works and transitions smoothly on my computer.

The advantage of Sockupied over something like Twist Collective is that the price is all-inclusive, and it contains interactive video content.  I like both the sock patterns, so for the price tag, this is a good deal for me.   After I watched the great section on the 4 alternatives to the long-tail cast on with Eunny Jang, I grabbed yarn and needles and started on the Passerine pattern by Cookie A (using the Old Norwegian cast-on, thank you very much).

I would imagine that you will have features such as videos for the different toe-up cast on methods, as well as bind-offs for cuffs and for toes.  I'd like to see not only Kitchener demonstrated (ie. does the needle go on top of the strand of yarn or underneath it), but things like the three-needle bind-off and the star toe.

I thought the article devoted to Cookie A was great.  (And it somehow explains why Knit.Sock.Love is a little delayed). 

You've got some great features here, and I can't wait to see more of them.  There are so many choices for yarn that you can highlight several of them each month.  The little flash doodad that scrolls from a swatch to the skein is really nicely done. So I'd love to see monthly yarn features.  The DPN feature was also great.  It would be good to see similar articles every month (circulars, magic loop, and even some of the oddball choices such as casein and new contenders such as Blackthorn DPNs made from carbon fibre).

I love the idea of an e-zine devoted exclusively to socks.  It's all I'm really interested in knitting, so it grabbed my attention right away.

Even the advertisements for the Interweave products are well done.  The slide show collage for the Socks with Handpainted Yarns is really neat.

As far as I am concerned, this is a first-class and first-rate production.  I know it probably took months and months to put this edition together, but I selfishly hope that things can become streamlined enough at Interweave so that we can have Sockupied monthly or bi-monthly. 

So Kudos to all of you for a job really well done.  I love Sockupied. What a great name and what a great publication.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Tucker Creek wrote
on Aug 31, 2010 1:46 PM

Don't know that I could say it any better than Jenn Ross.  I immediately read the eMag and look forward to a time when I can spend more time with it.  I'm sure each issue will be filled with more wonderful sock instructions and techniques and being a novice (but hooked) sock knitter I can use all the help I can get.  Thanks!!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
CindyS@3 wrote
on Aug 31, 2010 6:56 PM

I am really enjoying the format. The only suggestion I have is to be certain to show all demos from over the knitter's shoulder first, slowly, and often. The cast-on videos were great except that all the nice, slow first-few-stitch demos were done from the front, and I can't think backward! :)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Stephanie@6 wrote
on Aug 31, 2010 7:54 PM

I completed my gushing survey but when I saw the disappointed comments here, I felt like I had to throw in my two cents. I completely fell in love with Sockupied and was sad to see that not everyone else felt the same way. I thought the eMag was beautiful, well designed and really fun - I've clicked through several times and downloaded the PDF patterns but there is still so much more to look at.

I'm an interactive training designer and frequently deal in customer care issues when there is a gap between expectations and reality. Unfortunately due to equipment issues and personal preferences we are not all always on the same page with our multimedia experiences like this. Here are a few things you might want to understand about this generation of interactive content...

1) if you have an older computer (or have efficiency issues for any reason) you may struggle with the videos. The start/stop issues folks are having are not a technical problem with Sockupied but rather an issue on their end. I haven't tried viewing Sockupied sans internet connection but I'm guessing it might be a buffering issue. 

2) like others, I would also love to pay a few bucks see pages and pages of content like a book or a super robust free website but this isn't a little pamphlet... Adobe Air creates some pretty big, robust  files... if Interweave added more it would take forever to download. You trade pages and pages for an interactive thing - that really is a truly great value, by the way - that you can have on your computer which is awesome in so, so many ways. While you need an internet connection for some of it, you can also read without the internet.

3) on the other hand... for those of you that were disappointed that it "was all advertisements"... did you actually click on everything? Click the heck out of it! There are so many cool nuggets in there that you can't get with a linear print publication! Interactive content = you get out what you put in. If you are turning the pages like a magazine you aren't going to have the same experience - you need to click, mouse over, scroll down, etc. (not to mention when was the last time you read any knitting magazine? um, correct me if I'm wrong but those are filled with ads too and I don't care because where else am I going to find out about the ridiculous piles of yarn and cool gadgets I don't need more of?!)

4) and finally, I'm the last one to lecture anyone because I am the biggest book/magazine hoarder in the universe but I say KUDOS to Interweave for coming out with this - its good for the environment and its great for being able to have new knitting goodies w/o adding one more "thing" to my household. This is obviously not for everyone... electronic media isn't everyone's cup of tea but I really hope there is an Issue #2 coming in the future and that they will consider expanding this format to other special issues.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
iamkashi wrote
on Sep 1, 2010 7:05 AM

Well, I'm super psyched so far... but I've only been playing around with it since last nite.  I think I love it! Of course, I wish for more content, but that's because I really like what I see so far.

I've already written down a list of yarns I want to try, had NO problems with videos whatsoever (I have a mac, could that be it? I would think it'd be the opposite), and I love love LOVE the "feet on the street" and "tech" sections (they have so much possibility). Fun!

I do want to see more patterns. Freebies are fabulous but I feel fine with for-pay patterns too- designers have to make a living and patterns are an inexpensive pleasure to my mind (less than going to see a movie and longer lasting).

Some article suggestions:

interviews with Jess, Casey and the gang over at Ravelry. The history of socks. Socks deconstructed: the best of heels, adding nylon- is it really worth it?, that kooky sole EZ did where you can rip it out and replace it, ummm, let's talk toes (I didn't even know about that "star toe", by the way, so thanks Sockupied!)... It'd also be cool to review and compare sock yarn by material (versus an article that focuses one material like cashmere, for example) (loved the cashmere article too. wow. i am going to splurge soon!), so you'd have, say, a little chart with cotton, cashmere, wool, etc across the top and running down the side could be stretch, durability, breathability, washes well, price points, etc and then tick marks in the middle. Maybe most popular sock patterns of 1960, '70, '80, '90 and 2010 (or something like that...if even possible).  Reprint S.P. McPhee's love letter to socks (if possible).

I could go on and on because this ezine is soooo cool but I'll close by saying,

I adore sock knitting and really appreciate this new magazine and format. Thanks!

K

Page 1 of 4 (57 items) 1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS