Sockupied is here! Tell us what you think!

This post has 56 Replies | 13 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
iamkashi wrote
on Sep 1, 2010 7:25 AM

One more idea for an article:

Feature a pedicure sock pattern. Contest: Send in a picture of your finished object with a 25-word review. WInner receives a $35 http://www.spafinder.com/ gift certificate courtesy of SOCKUPIED.

Knit up those pedi socks and go treat your feet!

Smile 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Sandielynne wrote
on Sep 1, 2010 8:35 AM

I just finished going through every article, slide show, video demonstrations and seeing everything else there was to see, read, or hear in  my Socupied eMag.  I thought it was excellent in all areas and I was completely satisfied. 

I do find the cost just a bit high, but that could be because my pocketbook is not very full.  I understand that the time, skills and energy going into making the eMag was not done for free either.  So I may not be able to purchase future editions at the present price, I also understand why it might be priced as such.

I wish you all the best with your new venture and I hope it is successful.  It it continues or even manages to get better as time goes on, it should be a hit.  :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 694
Editor
SystemAdministrator
AmyPalmer wrote
on Sep 1, 2010 9:48 AM

Hello everyone! Thank you for all of your comments; we’re reading them when we can and collecting information to share with other folks at the company.

A couple of quick points - we’d love for this to become a true magazine with a regular publication schedule, but as this (and the other e-mags that are coming out) is a brand-new venture for us, we’re waiting to see what the reception is before we’ll know if we’re proceeding.

Also, those of you with e-reader devices (iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle, Nook, etc.), while it is disappointing that you can’t take ALL of the content with you, you can at least download the individual pattern PDFs to your computer and then transfer those to your e-reader. That way, even though you have the ability to download and print out the patterns if you would like to, you don’t have to.

Again, thank you all for your interest and your comments

Not Ranked
Posts 14
SharonW wrote
on Sep 1, 2010 12:35 PM

In reply to Stephanie's post .... I agree with everything you say ... my first thought about the start/stops was that it was an older computer doing it.  

Love it love it love it.

But, I also agree with Sandielynn ... a bit pricey ... and my purse is also not overflowing. 

I think the mac handles graphics in general better than PCs.  But I did notice that in full screen mode there was a bit of loss in the picture quality.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Sep 2, 2010 2:51 PM

Wow!  I'm a true computer geek but I also have my feet firmly planted in fiber history (I adore spindle spinning between knitting ventures), so I know what it took to put this piece of multimedia together in such a fabulous format and I think you should all be patting yourselves on the back for some time to come.  The videos ran just fine on my computer and I must say that I was really pleased by the quality when I switched to full screen mode.  (Gotta try everything, right?)  I use a High Def monitor and the visuals were truly striking.

I read the other replies and I understand about the pricing.  You've spoiled us for years with print magazines stuffed to the brim with patterns via a yearly subscription that runs about twice what it cost for this one e-Mag.  Well, as you have said, things are still being worked out.  I see great possibilities for the future.  I was thrilled to see my favorite sock designers in front of your cameras and am planning to try all of the new techniques as soon as I can get some time alone with my needles and yarn.

The patterns are terrific and as a Kindle owner I'm thrilled that they are in PDF format so I can just email them to my Kindle and have my patterns with me on vacation.  WooHoo!!  I see a future that could be full of contests, more new techniques defined and demonstrated, galleries of subscriber projects, articles, interviews and other fun stuff.  And, of course, lots of patterns.  :o)

Thank you so much for the opportunity to be a part of something so far ahead of its time and something that is so good for our planet, too!  I'll be looking for other interactive publications as well.

Four Smiles Up!  Big SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig Smile          Stick out tongue

Not Ranked
Posts 4
ElleneMc wrote
on Sep 2, 2010 8:18 PM

I do believe this is the best thing to happen to knitting in ages! I've only had a few minutes to scan the pages of my eMag, but already my mind is running through my sock yarn stash! Then I got to the page with the DPNs and will have to listen and watch that segment - may need to invest in some new needles, too!  Thanks ever so much for adding some zest to an aleady favorite pasttime:-)

Not Ranked
Posts 4
chelosky wrote
on Sep 2, 2010 9:50 PM

I have purchased and downloaded Sockupied and I'm very disappointed in how poorly the videos work (i video person), start and then quit .  Some of the videos I got part way though didn't show either the sock they were talking about (Alex) or the demos kept switching positions so it was hard to follow. (casting on - Eunny she is to quit ).  i have pattern, the calculator and some link information . I though the will show on video how knit the sock from top to toe  ???  maybe next time.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
BarbaraM@2 wrote
on Sep 2, 2010 10:15 PM

I sure am glad I wasn't the only one having trouble with the videos working.   I was being lead to believe it was something that I did.   I also felt the How to video, what I saw of them left me hanging with just casting on.  

Not Ranked
Posts 13
BarbaraM@2 wrote
on Sep 2, 2010 10:15 PM

I sure am glad I wasn't the only one having trouble with the videos working.   I was being lead to believe it was something that I did.   I also felt the How to video, what I saw of them left me hanging with just casting on.  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Sep 2, 2010 10:25 PM

BarbaraM@2:

Hi BarbaraM,

I am sorry about your experience with the Sockupied emag.  I really am not very interested in this magazine and I will tell you why.  I love to knit socks and they are my favorite thing to knit.  Back in March 2010 a SOCKS forum was started, at first between another sock knitter and myself.  The internet is full of sock hints, tips, patterns, and teachings.  I have never ever had a problem to find a sock video tutorial on the internet and they explain everything very clearly.  I would take a guess that the videos in the emag. are also on youtube as I do recognize some of the names.  Why would I need to put out $$ for something I can get for free?  Interesting to note that not one person who responded to this Sockupied forum ever left any comment or question on the SOCKS forum.  Why?

Its just a thought, Zoe

Not Ranked
Posts 7
CathyAnn wrote
on Sep 4, 2010 9:07 AM

I love the concept of this publication, and purchased it almost immediately. While I understand the work involved to put such a project together, I am disappointed with what I got for the price. Of the 19 "articles", only 12 were actual content (the rest being the cover, table of contents, resource page, and four advertisements for Interweave publications), and only three patterns were included (not counting the Cubist pattern on Knitting Daily, which is available free without purchasing Sockupied). It has much less content compared to special issues such as Knitting Traditions (same price, with 43 project patterns, some with accompanying articles). The videos and interactive format do not add enough interest or add enough to the learning experience to make them anywhere near equivalent in price. For me to consider purchasing a similar publication again, I would expect either MUCH more content or a lower price, probably a combination of both.

Having said that, I think the publication is visually pleasing and well put together. The features are interesting and the patterns look great. My only criticism of the content is that I found the videos taken from the perspective of someone opposite the knitter to be disorienting and not at all helpful. I really only want to see technique video from the knitter's perspective. Showing it from the other side requires one to "think backwards." Every knitting class I've every been to, the instructor encouraged us to stand behind her and look over her shoulder to see what she was doing.

I must also say that I find it pretty annoying that Interweave would charge so much for a publication and then put advertisements in for their own products. By comparison, Twist Collective has just over 12 pages of advertising out of 60 pages in their last issue, and the publication is free. I realize it's comparing apples and oranges, as there are no free patterns, but you get the point. I wouldn't mind if there were advertisements from OTHER companies if it were to substantially lower the price of the product, but padding a paid publication with their own ads is downright offensive.

I hope you do another publication like this, but if you do, I would only buy it if you:

• add lots more content
  • ditch the ads
  • cut the price

Also, I may just not have figured it out yet, but the software doesn't seem to allow for any type of keyboard navigation. It would be nice to be able to use the arrow buttons rather than having to click on the mouse for everything. I realize that is an Adobe Air issue, but it still affected my enjoyment of the product.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
CathyAnn wrote
on Sep 4, 2010 9:18 AM

Zoe:

Interesting to note that not one person who responded to this Sockupied forum ever left any comment or question on the SOCKS forum.  Why?

I bought Sockupied because I like to knit socks, the content looked interesting, and I wanted to try the format. If one is trying to solve a sock-knitting problem, purchasing this publication probably wouldn't be their first stop (for me it would be Ravelry). But for someone who wants to know more in general about sock knitting related topics (yarns, needles, designers, techniques), it is a nice (though overpriced) collection of content. There is a link to this forum in the publication; I had never been on the forums before and that's the only reason I even made my way here in the first place. I posted because this is a new type of publication and I wanted to give feedback. So can only speak for myself, but does that answer your question "why"?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Sep 4, 2010 12:12 PM

Hi CathyAnn,

Yes, this does answer my question.  I am a member of Ravelry but rarely go there because I find that I am mostly "computer illiterate" when it comes to navigating in the Ravelry.  I can't seem to get to where I want to go to.  Please check out the SOCKS forum here.  I have found that there are many questions and hints and tips that can be answered on it.  We want your input too.  How long have you been knitting socks? or knitting in general and which way do you knit?  I find that knitters are the most inquisitive people around.  How about you?

Knitting is good!  Zoe

Not Ranked
Posts 2
DMM wrote
on Sep 4, 2010 6:00 PM

You should consider a refund to those who purchased this Interweave infomercial. What a total waste of money and computer storage space. Also, a total waste of potential. Just what did this expensive eMag give to the unsuspecting buyer?

Not Ranked
Posts 7
CathyAnn wrote
on Sep 5, 2010 7:31 AM

I doubt anyone would get a refund. I think Dear Abby would call it "tuition in the school of experience."

Page 2 of 4 (57 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS