Sockupied is here! Tell us what you think!

This post has 56 Replies | 13 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
CathyAnn wrote
on Sep 5, 2010 7:31 AM

I'll check it out.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
mamanett wrote
on Sep 5, 2010 7:50 AM

Interweave 'duped' us and helped themselves financially with their advertisements and lack of information and lack of patterns for those of us who purchased same for these reasons alone.  In the long run, it would be best if they refunded everyone who wants same.  Otherwise, we will think twice before purchasing anything else like this from them and they will have customers that have always looked up to them previously, now look at their offers with suspicion.  They have created more harm for themselves than each of us.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Sep 9, 2010 12:59 PM

Dear Barbara,

On some computers it seems to work better to use the controls along the bottom of the video frame instead of the "play" button in the center of the frame. (This may be something you've already tried, but just in case it might help, I thought I'd mention it.)

If you're having technical problems, our customer service department will be happy to troubleshoot. You can e-mail them at customerservice@interweave.com. I may not be able to help directly, but you can certainly write me at sockupied@interweave.com.

Best wishes,

Anne Merrow

Editor, Sockupied

Not Ranked
Posts 2
hand_brake wrote
on Oct 6, 2010 10:41 AM

Sockupied- I like it! I am working on the top-down pattern Twisted Diamonds. I really like the format and that the cast on vidoes are in one place now on my hard-drive.

Ya it's a bit expensive, but it's a new format. The iPhone is expensive too but it's the newest coolest thing and it sells real well!!! Hopefully as the technology for the eMag gets past the startup costs- less ads, more content, more video how-to's & more patterns will be included.

Keep it coming! Don't be discouraged by the the "hate" mail posts in here :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Oct 13, 2010 3:39 PM

ZassZ:
Hi LindaB48,

I read your question about the Sockupied Magazine.  I don't have it but your question caused me to reflect again on the thoughts different members wrote about it over under Sockupied.  I don't know about the download issues.  I read that some didn't care for the number of advertisements it carried.  I do think it not possible to have no advertisements in it because even a "paper" magazine has many.  I just thought I would just count a random knitting magazine:  of the first 24 pages it has 27 different advertisements,  26 ads on the last two pages alone of the mag.  The regular issue has 6 articles under Fashion section and 4 under Features section, and the In Every Issue section there are 9 including Editor's Letter, Techniques & Abbreviations, Patterns, Yarn Buying Guide to name a few.  It may be we have become immune to them when they are on paper but on a computer screen seem more annoying is my guess.  However much I enjoy turning a page when reading, there are some conveniences to having it on line as alot of people are in front of a computer from morning til night or will get on one at some point.  So to capture their attention and for just the sheer reason that because of the modern world we live in, an online magazine probably appeals to many people (it's cool).  If it "helps" people work in this art even in some small way then this is good.  I guess it just depends on where you want to spend your benjamins.  I think alot of hard work went into it though and that deserves mention.   We learn to crawl before we can walk, before we can run, we learn to walk. 

I thought I would share that I am like you expressed in this regard and enjoy relaxing in a chair or on the sofa with a good book or mag too.  Sometimes, it's so nice to take a little cat nap! 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
MarilynK@16 wrote
on Oct 24, 2010 3:53 AM

I finally got round to looking a Sockupied tonight.  Its my first eMag and was pleased at how generally easy it was to navigate. I haven't viewed any of the videos yet, so I can't comment on that aspect.  I was surprised to read so many comments about the cost.  In Australia the eMag and other Interweave print mags is abut the same cost.  I started knitting when I was about 7 or 8 and have knitted with a few breaks since then. Since I have very little feet and generally have to buy children's socks, I decided to learn to make my own.  I have taught myself how to knit on 2 circulars, cast on with Judy's magic cast on, make toe ups and now knit two socks at a time.  I think that' not bad for 12 months.  As I loathe plain knitting I am always keen to try new patterns and textures.  So, I was rally excited to see the article "1 sock, 2 ways".  Sadly it was about using 2 different yarns not knitting toe up or cuff down.  This brings me to my one major disappointment - Sockupied seems to be for cuff down knitters who use dpns.  All seems pretty traditional and lack daring.  I wonder if a future edition will be more daring!!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
ThereseC wrote
on Oct 29, 2010 6:10 PM

Considering the price of $15, I was not expecting to be bombarded by ads in this eMag. For the price, the content is flimsy, especially side-by-side with the visually tantalizing ads that make one think they were articles. I feel waylaid.

I’m happier with the knitting ebooks like those of Brooklyntweed and WestKnits. And now I know why I go to Ravelry more and more for patterns and buy less and less of books and magazines published by big houses.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Lee AnneG wrote
on Nov 5, 2010 4:28 PM

Your internet connection could be your problem.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Lee AnneG wrote
on Nov 5, 2010 4:28 PM

Your internet connection could be your problem.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
mari_ickes wrote
on Dec 24, 2010 8:30 PM

I am enjoying my issue, but I am disappointed that there is only one.  When I saw e-mag, I assumed I was purchasing a subscription.  I hope I will not have to pay another $15 for each issue.  That is a bit much.

I would love to see more TOE UP discussion. :)

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Jessica1004 wrote
on Feb 9, 2011 6:49 AM

I really want this to be good because I love the idea of being able to have the magazine on my computer vs. a hard copy. However, while I enjoyed the articles & the videos, I'm disappointed on the number of advertisements  in relationship to actual patterns. I can live with the ads, everyone has to make money here, but there needs to be more info for me to think it's a good value. 

I have purchased SpinKnit which is in the same format, but had much more content & I enjoyed it a lot more than Sockupied.  It wouldn't take much to make me a happy camper since the format is right for me, I love knitting socks, just need more content for the $'s.

Jessica

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Feb 9, 2011 9:54 AM

Jessica1004:
I love knitting socks, just need more content for the

s

Hi Jessica,

Last year we started a SOCKS thread here on KD and it is used regularily.  We post about anything socks -- comments, questions, pattern links, dyeing sock yarns, etc.  We would love to have you come over there and contribute.

It is interesting that since a few of us started this SOCKS forum, KD has tried to "take" over the socks subject by creating a very poor content magazine.  It is sad that the magazine wasn't up to what we sock knitters had looked forward to.  Perhaps if they tinker around with the sockupied magazine, they can get it there.  The magazine was an experiment on their part and it hasnt worked yet.  One day ....... it will.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Sasha@3 wrote
on Feb 12, 2011 8:18 AM

Has there been an edition of Sockupied since the premier (Summer 2010)?  I quickly (and happily) subscribed when the e-mag became available, expecting that there would be more than one issue for the price, but either there has not been, or I have not been receiving them.

Could somebody please look into this?  Thank you.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Feb 12, 2011 8:50 AM

Sasha@3:

Has there been an edition of Sockupied since the premier (Summer 2010)?  I quickly (and happily) subscribed when the e-mag became available, expecting that there would be more than one issue for the price, but either there has not been, or I have not been receiving them.

Hi Sasha,

To your first question -- nope, only one issue was ever made and that was to gauge the general reaction to whether or not this was a worthwhile venture based on client feedback.  This was made known when the sockupied was first published.  The price of the magazine was per copy not a subscription for a year.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Onyourfeet wrote
on Feb 15, 2011 10:52 AM

Hi Sasha,

Interweave is preparing to launch a second issue of Sockupied, which is due out this spring, likely around mid-March.  At present, it is in the hands of the design studio, which is building the eMag's interactivity capabilities.  The new issue has more patterns, articles, and content than the first issue, and we do hope our readers will enjoy it!

Thanks,

Joanna

Page 3 of 4 (57 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS