OFFICIAL POST: The Caftan Pullover Knit-Along (It's the Knit-Ball knit-along!)

This post has 465 Replies | 49 Followers rated by 9 users
Not Ranked
Posts 1
kizmet47 wrote
on Sep 21, 2010 6:26 AM

I had voted for a different sweater but this is beautiful one too.  I am looking forward to the KAL!!  Smile

Anne

Not Ranked
Posts 3
McLisa wrote
on Sep 21, 2010 7:06 AM

I love the Caftan Poll-Over!  And the idea of a KAL seems really cool.

I'm a new knitter (also posted to the Intro Yourself forum), having just picked-up needles for the first time over the summer.  I want to branch-out from the dishclothes, scarfs and fingerless mitts I've worked on, but not sure if this is taking-on more than I can handle.  I'm still learning how to read more difficult patterns and trying new stitches, so this may be a stretch for me.  I wouldn't even know how to choose the right yarn!

How does one decide if a project is too advanced for their skill level?

Lisa

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 122
Kelleigh wrote
on Sep 21, 2010 10:04 AM

aisha:

hI! it's my first time in a KAL any idea about the yarn ...living in Italy I don't think I'll find the same yarn...the project is fantastic...Wink

Hi Aisha,

Kathleen said that if this design was chosen she would put up a BIG list of the yarn(s) that would be good substitutes.  Hopefully she is working on that as I type.  Otherwise, this pullover may be TOO expensive for me at this time.

KELLEIGH~~

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Sep 21, 2010 10:32 AM

Kelleigh:
Kathleen said that if this design was chosen she would put up a BIG list of the yarn(s) that would be good substitutes.

Hi All KAL knitters,

Since the pattern calls for a medium #4 weight yarn, I am sure that you could comfortably substitute the yarn called for with a #4 weight  yarn that is suitable for you.  I have allergies to wools and linens so a lot of yarns are not do-able for me use.  I can comfortably subsitute the yarns with an acrylic/synthetic blend/s yarn.  Patterns have always worked this way for me.  Of course, if you substitute the yarn, you definitely need to swatch, wash, and block to make sure the yarn behaves the way you want it to.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 122
Kelleigh wrote
on Sep 21, 2010 10:50 AM

Zoe:

Of course, if you substitute the yarn, you definitely need to swatch, wash, and block to make sure the yarn behaves the way you want it to.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Zoe,

This is exactly why I am hoping for the list from Kathleen.  I am not skilled, yet, in finding the right yarn for the best drape of a garment.  Plus I don't get to the few yarn shops in my area that often but plan on doing so this weekend to ask for help in choosing the right yarn for the Caftan.

Knit on everyone!

KELLEIGH~~

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
a2965z-craft wrote
on Sep 21, 2010 11:09 AM

I too am hoping the list of substitutes will include some affordable choices. If I can find a yarn that I like I intend to do the body in one color and the embellisments in a contrasting color. I had ordered the yarn from Berroco but after three days got an email saying the yarn I ordered wasn't available. The short list that Kathleen posted would be way too expensive.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
a2965z-craft wrote
on Sep 21, 2010 11:09 AM

I too am hoping the list of substitutes will include some affordable choices. If I can find a yarn that I like I intend to do the body in one color and the embellisments in a contrasting color. I had ordered the yarn from Berroco but after three days got an email saying the yarn I ordered wasn't available. The short list that Kathleen posted would be way too expensive.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
KDe wrote
on Sep 21, 2010 12:35 PM

Yeah!  I was hoping this one would win.  It's lovely, I can't wait to make it.  Need to figure out what yarn I'm going to use....

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,512
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Sep 21, 2010 12:38 PM

Here's a yarn list. The pattern calls for an Aran-weight yarn, but I had to go down to size 7s to get gauge. (I'm happy with the fabric, though.) So I think many of you can use a worsted weight yarn just fine, which really opens up your choices! Here are some options for both worsted and Aran.

Plymouth Encore (worsted)

Berocco Comfort Worsted

Vanna’s Choice (worsted)

Lion Brand Wool-Ease (worsted)

Patons Classic Wool (worsted)

Caron Simply Soft (worsted)

Cascade 220 (worsted)

KnitPicks Gloss (Heavy Worsted)

KnitPicks Comfy Worsted

KnitPicks Wool of the Andes (worsted)

Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran

Debbie Bliss Rialto Aran

Filatura Di Crosa Zara Plus (Aran)

Classic Elite Waterlily (worsted)

Sublime Cashmere Merino Silk Aran (this is what I’m using)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 46
dkroos wrote
on Sep 21, 2010 2:53 PM

I forgot how to get the posts sent me my email.  I did it with the other 4 KAL's I was in, but it has slipped my mind how I did it.  Can someone help?  Oops. I just answered my own question when I  scrolled down to post, there is an option to have it emailed.

I also like this project, and was happy to see the list of substitute yarns we could use successfully!!  Can't wait to get started.

Denise

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 122
Kelleigh wrote
on Sep 21, 2010 3:40 PM

Kathleen,

Thank you so much for the list of acceptable yarn for this project!  I now have a bit more to work with.  Idea

I have wanted to make something with yarn that isn't acrylic for once and now have quite a few options.  This will be my first NON-ACRYLIC project but I still don't want to spend a fortune, it may be a long, cold winter ahead.  Lightning

Can't wait to yarn shop this weekend!

Knit on all!

KELLEIGH~~

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
KDe wrote
on Sep 21, 2010 4:15 PM

The universe really wants me to make this pullover. 

My mom was in her LYS today. I knew that they had back issues (some quite a few years old) of several magazines, so I asked her to look and see if they had the 2006 Spring Interweave and lo and behold they did.  How amazing is that, and they only charged her the cover price.  For her beneficence she said that she was going to mark several pages of things she wants me to make for her out of the magazine, which I will be happy to do of course.  

:)

Not Ranked
Posts 2
craftytonyaj wrote
on Sep 21, 2010 5:05 PM

sweet i am so excited about the caftan pullover also

this is also my first kal and i am so very excited about it

i have the pattern going to get the yarn tomorrow wooo hooo

Not Ranked
Posts 2
cjprice wrote
on Sep 21, 2010 7:54 PM

My first one, too. I had the pattern and now I have to quickly find a yarn! I am working on three projects, but I will put them onn the back burner for a while.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 62
MarloesD wrote
on Sep 22, 2010 6:43 AM

Today I bought the pattern. Since I live in the Netherlands, I'm very happy that Knittingdaily has electronic versions of her patterns!

As for the yarn, I choose "Marko" in the colour "8110 Roestbruin" (i.e. rusty brown). First of all because I like it and second because brown is en vogue this season. This yarn is 100 % acrylic and best worked with needle size 3.5 mm. In order to get the right gauge, I'll use 4 mm instead.

Page 2 of 32 (466 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS