OFFICIAL POST: The Caftan Pullover Knit-Along (It's the Knit-Ball knit-along!)

This post has 465 Replies | 48 Followers rated by 9 users
Not Ranked
Posts 14
nurse1957 wrote
on Oct 25, 2010 7:34 AM

I probably shouldn't comment on this until I'm actually working on the inserts, but are you all talking about the last cable stitch? Should I just reverse the stitch on each point on the left side? Would that solve that problem?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Diane Daly wrote
on Oct 25, 2010 12:24 PM

what a darling sweater I have alway had a hard time with a lower open front but I can picture the young ones wearing it, it is just adorable

Not Ranked
Posts 9
on Oct 25, 2010 4:34 PM

nurse1957:

I probably shouldn't comment on this until I'm actually working on the inserts, but are you all talking about the last cable stitch? Should I just reverse the stitch on each point on the left side? Would that solve that problem?

I was wondering the same thing....

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
LadyKRose wrote
on Oct 27, 2010 9:41 AM

Insert Front panels: Yes, reversing the first cable twist will change the result. However, I plan to reverse the points on the right side because the visual flow of the points going down will complement the decreasing size of the domes.  That's my personal preference.  You may have a different perspective on what is astetically [spelling?] pleasing. 

I presume I will have to TINK back to the first cable and re-knit.  But in the interests of trying something else and not having to re-knit it all, I'm going to try just unraveling those four stitches and then fixing the problem.  If it works, I've saved myself a lot more work.  If not, I'll know that this too complex and just TINK and re-knit.  Either way, I'll get the result I want.

Thanks for your interest in this little quirk of the pattern.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
anettles wrote
on Oct 27, 2010 3:51 PM

I have finished the back and I'm anxious to start on the front, only I am unsure how to proceed.  I am knitting with 2 strands of a smaller yarn held together and the yarn is on cones (so 2 cones).  I am unsure if I should just knit on and do one side of the front then the other, or if I should ball some yarn from the cones so I can knit both sides of the front at the same time.  I just want to do what will give me the best results and be the easiest.

All thoughts, comments, and ideas are welcome!

-Angela

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 64
TNYarnLady wrote
on Oct 29, 2010 8:44 AM

ok....im finished with my 2nd sweater.............what is the best and fastest way to block it?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
LadyKRose wrote
on Oct 29, 2010 9:52 AM

The front inserts have to be done separately, as you pick up stitches along the front line after the front is completed.   You will need a second ball of yarn to complete the front, as it splits after the dome is knit in and you are doing the rest of the front in two separate pieces.   I don't mind doing 2-at-once because I get nice even results on each side.   See above commentary on the 2-at-once for sleeves and cardigan fronts.  

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Oct 29, 2010 4:12 PM

This is my first KAL as well.  I am looking forward to it.  I have about 400 other things in the works as well, but my fingers have been itching ti knit lately.  It is getting cool in Ohio so that is probably the reason.

Kathy in northeast Ohio

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Oct 30, 2010 4:00 PM

So excited!

I'm starting late, but at least I'm starting! I went last Saturday and bought my yarn. Its a gorgeous deep purple Suri Merino yarn from Plymouth Yarn, made up of 55% Suri Alpaca and 45% extra fine merino wool!

I found a local yarn shop "in my area" (had to drive for almost an hour to get there! But I kinda live in the stick of Northern Virginia, so it goes with the territory! Anyway, I'm working on the guage swatches now.

Question: does anyone know if using a circular needle (because I don't have a straight needle in the suggested size) will cause a problem?

Thanks and I'm SOOO excited! Big Smile

~ Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Latitude61 wrote
on Oct 30, 2010 4:43 PM

Welcom Andrea,

This also is my first time. I am using a circular needle (which is what I use mostly anyway). I did not have any problem. I had to swatch a couple of times to make sure that I got the gauge. I ended up having to drop down to a 6 even though I am using worsted weight yarn. You will find that it will go pretty quickly. It would be prudent to review all the posts to date, just to see where some of the issues are.

Happy knitting,

Cindy

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Oct 31, 2010 6:29 AM

I am way behind the rest of you but I will catch up.  Not like I have anything else to do.  I've got 3 important birthdays and Thanksgiving in November.  "Frankly Scarlett, I'd rather knit.Wink

Kathy in NE Ohio

Not Ranked
Posts 6
on Nov 1, 2010 12:39 PM

Im working on the inserts.  The pattern says to pick up 81 stitches leaving about an inch at the shoulder.  What happens if I need to pick up 87 stitches to get within an inch from the shoulder? (Oops, I guess my guage was off a bit.)

Nelda

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
LadyKRose wrote
on Nov 1, 2010 1:49 PM

Doesn't matter if it's straight, circulars, or anyother type of needle, as long as the stitches are made on the tips where the size of the needle is correct. I have 'retired' my straight needles and knit only with circulars for many years now.   Good luck.  This is an enjoyable knit.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
on Nov 1, 2010 2:25 PM

Very excited about joining the group...Just found you recently...Just downloaded the pattern...So I am behind but I knit fairly fast so i hope to get on schedule soon...Will take pattern to knitting class on Thursday and pick out yarn...First time following charts...My cashmere/mink sweater will have to wait...

Linda P.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
june broome wrote
on Nov 3, 2010 9:38 AM

I do love your patterns and I would love to buy more of them but I'm never sure how much they actually cost in £sterling. Is there a way that you could print that as well please. I just love this pattern but how much will it actually cost me? Thanks June Broome.

Page 27 of 32 (466 items) « First ...  < Previous  25 26 27 28 29  Next >  ... Last » | RSS