OFFICIAL POST: The Caftan Pullover Knit-Along (It's the Knit-Ball knit-along!)

This post has 467 Replies | 50 Followers rated by 9 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
on Nov 4, 2010 12:10 PM

Picked up Ella Rae in classic heather light purple...Can't wait to get started...I know I will get caught up with the rest of you...The wool should give a little bit of stiffness needed to keep top part of sweater from slipping down....

Question: Can we make any changes in finishing ????...I was considering doing something at top for a closure...Is that allowed????

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Nov 4, 2010 9:58 PM

knitonedroptwo:
Can we make any changes in finishing ????...I was considering doing something at top for a closure...Is that allowed????

Hi knitonedroptwo,

Of course it is allowed!!!   The pattern directions are guidelines for you to basically make the same thing everyone else in the KAL is doing.  Everyone can tweek the pattern for their own liking.  Do share with everyone else how and what tweeks you want to make.  Over on Ravelry, there was lots of tweeking of this pattern.  After all, we knitters all have individual aspirations for making the pattern our own!

Happy tweeking, Zoe Smile

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
on Nov 5, 2010 8:33 AM

Thanks for the feedback...I am new at this...Thanks again

Not Ranked
Posts 9
JAMH wrote
on Nov 5, 2010 9:26 AM

Yea!Big Smile  I finshed the back. I will post pic after I block it. I guess i am a slow knitter or maybe it that I am working 3 other projcts at the same time. 2 that I would like to finsh before thanksgiving. anyway on to the front.

Jill

Not Ranked
Posts 12
nicolewetzel wrote
on Nov 8, 2010 7:44 AM

Help!  This is the first thing that I have knit with a chart....and every time I have started the very bottom dome, I get knitted ribbing not the seed stitch that is in the pattern.  I thought that perhaps that I was reading something wrong and started on sleeves....the same thing i s happening.  I even went so far as to read and work the sleeve part from right to left ...and I am getting the same outcome.  I have numbered the boxes on the chart, so I know that I am not miss counting....Please help!  I am really hoping to be able to wear my sweater for a Dec. 11 event...and am behind where I should be.  Thanks!

Nicole

Not Ranked
Posts 4
tkoehler wrote
on Nov 8, 2010 7:51 AM

I found charts confusing also then went on the internet and found good info.  The first row (RS) is read from right to left (as are other odd numbered rows) but the 2nd row is read from left to right (same with other even-numbered rows).  Experiment on a swatch and see what happens.  Have fun!  Tina

Not Ranked
Posts 12
nicolewetzel wrote
on Nov 8, 2010 8:01 AM

Tina, Thank you!  I think that I will be on my way now....I guess I must have read the chart wrong for the back sides as well...Opps...happy with that result though...Thanks again!

Nicole

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
nurse1957 wrote
on Nov 8, 2010 10:57 AM

I also found when I think I am unsure where I am on the chart, if you are doing the seed stitch, knit the perls and perl the knit stitches.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
a2965z-craft wrote
on Nov 9, 2010 2:38 PM

When knitting from charts the other thing to watch is that a symbol can mean different things depending on which side (right side or wrong side) you are knitting. For example, a blank square can mean knit on the right side and purl on the wrong side. Likewise the dotted squares are purl on the right side but knit on the wrong side.

By the way, I've finished all of the pieces and am working on stitching it all together. I am very pleased with the results. I'll post a picture when it's all done.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Latitude61 wrote
on Nov 10, 2010 11:53 AM

Thanks to all of you for your comments and experience as I work my way through the project. Big Smile

I have been thoroughly enjoying this, and I can't believe that I will have a sweater before Christmas!  I was working on the 1st insert last night, and I got to the 18th row and realized, after all this time, that the braiding for the design does not go to the edge of the work. Well, that surprised me, as the picture of the finished sweater on the model shows the quite the opposite -- they have the designs going all the way to the edges. Am I missing something? Because I like the look of the picture on the pattern, do any of you have any idea how they did that? My ONLY answer is that they stopped the work at row 20 or such and that is why in the photo, the sweater looks so open.

I would appreciate any comment on this in the event -- heaven help me -- I may have misread the chart! 

Not Ranked
Posts 10
keenie28 wrote
on Nov 10, 2010 12:31 PM

Hi.  The chart is correct and matches the pattern as shown on the model.  I'm not sure what mistake you made.  Are you able to post a photo of your sweater insert?

If I'm understanding you correctly, you began the "braiding" look by knitting RC's and LC's where indicated.  After all of those RC's and LC's are finished, the look continues to the end by knitting two continuous knit stitches on the right side, and two continuous purl stitches on the wrong side at the place where you did your last RC's and LC's.

Don't know if I'm explaining this clearly enough.  I'm thinking you may just be misreading a section of the chart.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
DeborahC53 wrote
on Nov 10, 2010 12:41 PM

Latitude61:

...that the braiding for the design does not go to the edge of the work. Well, that surprised me, as the picture of the finished sweater on the model shows the quite the opposite -- they have the designs going all the way to the edges. Am I missing something? 

As she said above, it's just looks like it's braided to the edge.  If you look really closely, however, it's actually just a stockinette stitch after the braiding finishes.  So, chances are you are doing it correctly.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Latitude61 wrote
on Nov 10, 2010 1:47 PM

That it is a stockinette stitch that makes it look like that is good to know and I couldn't have hoped for better. Now I can continue. Thank you so much for your quick turnaround response. You'd think that as much as I unknit some projects that I like doing it, but I really don't. Here, in my group of knitters we refer to it as "TINK" -- as in KNIT spelled backwards. That said, I can now move forward and KNIT the remainder. 

Thanks again for your help!    Cindy

Not Ranked
Posts 1
classycat6 wrote
on Nov 12, 2010 2:39 PM

How can I find the pattern to the hats that were featured?

Not Ranked
Posts 9
JAMH wrote
on Nov 12, 2010 10:35 PM

here is a photo of my back. I am just starting the first chart on the front.

Jill H

Page 28 of 32 (468 items) « First ...  < Previous  26 27 28 29 30  Next >  ... Last » | RSS