OFFICIAL POST: The Caftan Pullover Knit-Along (It's the Knit-Ball knit-along!)

This post has 465 Replies | 49 Followers rated by 9 users
Not Ranked
Posts 5
debbiekc wrote
on Sep 23, 2010 9:55 AM

My first sweater was about a year and a half ago, and I actually got help from the people who sheared the sheep and spun the yarn - up in New England, and I live in Tennessee!  Later on I did the minimalist cardigan, and the people on the KAL were VERY helpful.  I use big box store yarn for things like rugs or dishcloths, but if you spend three or four months making a sweater, you really want it to be nice when you finish.  If you just can't afford what the LYS has, you could try KnitPicks, too, because they have some very nice yarns at a very reasonable price.  However, you wont' have the local support like you get at a local shop.

And the LYS are yarn and knitting lovers, so they will spend plenty of time helping you!  Go for it!

Debbie 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
qwikwited wrote
on Sep 23, 2010 12:14 PM

I'm a first timer here, but this looks like so much fun. I have never knit a sweater for an adult, and I am ready to put my skills to the test!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
sewnettie wrote
on Sep 23, 2010 1:04 PM

How do I find out the difficulty rating on this project?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Sep 23, 2010 1:19 PM

sewnettie:

How do I find out the difficulty rating on this project?

I don't see an experience rating on the pattern description either.  But you might gain some insight by viewing the project notes of people on Ravelry who have knit it?  http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/caftan-pullover/people .

Not Ranked
Posts 2
sewnettie wrote
on Sep 23, 2010 2:32 PM

Thank you, I'll check it out!

Not Ranked
Posts 12
nicolewetzel wrote
on Sep 23, 2010 3:35 PM

I have never done a KAL before and am excited and a bit nervous.  And I have NEVER knit a sweater before....although I have knit lots to socks, scarves, hats... I am eager to learn form this online community and look forward to wearing the sweater.  It's beautiful!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 314
sjc wrote
on Sep 23, 2010 9:18 PM

Hi ArtfulSoul, nice to see you here. 

I looked over the Ravelry sweaters and will definitely sew up the front as many others have--that was a concern I had when this was selected (possible  gaping).  I like the look even better with just a V-neckline.  Discouraging that so many have frogged this design.Sad

I've ordered Genoa from elann.com for the sweater.  50% silk, 50% wool (I've got to have  some wool!)  I'm taking a chance on ordering it because all it's shown in is a lacey shrug.  May have to pull from the stash if it doesn't work out but I think it will.  Also, I'll be en vogue because I ordered it in color espresso, a dark brown, because I liked it!  I love browns and am glad they are going to be popular this season.  Elann has great prices and usually yarns excellante !

Will post more once I have the yarn and do some swatching.  Have fun everyone...

Sherry

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Sep 23, 2010 9:59 PM

sjc Sherry, glad you are doing this KAL also.  Have you done all of them?

Your yarn sounds perfect, that's interesting that it hasn't been widely used on Ravelry. Is it new? Have you touched it anywhere yet?  I agree about the brown, also gray is another fashion-forward possibility.

I'm taking pattern with me on a trip to Wisconsin next week, with a plan to visit a few yarn shops that have been recommended and find something new! Exploring with a purpose, I'll be reporting results.

Marcea

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 62
MarloesD wrote
on Sep 24, 2010 1:15 AM

" Also, I'll be en vogue because I ordered it in color espresso, a dark brown, because I liked it!  I love browns and am glad they are going to be popular this season. "

Hi Sherry, it's so nice to see somebody else has exactly the same motivation as me for picking a colour!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Ilene201 wrote
on Sep 24, 2010 8:31 AM

I love this design but I'm not sure about the wide open front. Do you think it would work with lacing or some other way to hold it sort of closed? I'm afraid it will not be flattering on my pear-shaped body the way it is. Thanks, Ilene

Not Ranked
Posts 3
bibbles wrote
on Sep 24, 2010 8:32 AM

So happy this one was selected. Hope I will be able to keep up with everyone.I don't have a lot of time right now but I really wanted to do this sweater.Just got the pattern and will try to find yarn this weekend.Barbara

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Sep 24, 2010 8:48 AM

Ilene201:
I love this design but I'm not sure about the wide open front. Do you think it would work with lacing or some other way to hold it sort of closed?

Hi Ilene,

Over on Ravelry (the site link was posted in an earlier post) there were quite a few variations on the front because they didn't like the way it "wore" on them.  Please go over and check out the possibilities.  There was even a photo posted of a gal who made this into a vest instead of a pullover! 

Endless things come to our knitting minds, Zoe Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Sep 24, 2010 8:52 AM

Ilene201:

I love this design but I'm not sure about the wide open front. Do you think it would work with lacing or some other way to hold it sort of closed? I'm afraid it will not be flattering on my pear-shaped body the way it is. Thanks, Ilene

Here's the link to lots of wonderful variations! http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/caftan-pullover/people

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 89
DeborahC53 wrote
on Sep 24, 2010 9:15 AM

Hello, all!  I will be passing on this KAL.  I'm still trudging through the last one and have other projects I need to get done before Christmas. This wasn't my pick but I may download the pattern and do a variation of it later.  Some of the ones on Ravelry turned out a lot nicer than I would have thought and I do love the detail on the sleeve.

Good luck with your projects and I'll be monitoring this to see all the variations and tips you guys come up with!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
CarolM@14 wrote
on Sep 24, 2010 9:25 AM

Thank you

Page 4 of 32 (466 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS