Sockupied-poor value

This post has 15 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
SuzToce wrote
on Sep 23, 2010 10:16 PM

I was very disappointed:

1. Very few sock patterns, hence high cost per pattern
  2. No top down patterns and that is all I knit (except for an occasional exquisite pattern by Cookie A
  3. Some of the info is already available elsewhere for free (Channel Island cast on in Knitting Daily)
  4. Lots of advertising - why should I pay to have someone advertise???  (I tolerate the ads in Knitting Daily as I am accessing the info for free.) 
  5. You won't be seeing me subscribe to any future issue
Not Ranked
Posts 1
CyndieLynn wrote
on Sep 24, 2010 12:04 PM

I have to agree with you. I was very disappointed.  I enjoy Interweave publications.  They are usually high quality and I always learn new things.  No so with this one. 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
hand_brake wrote
on Oct 6, 2010 10:33 AM

Actually there is a top-down pattern, it is the twisted diamonds pattern and it very cool!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
DebbieF wrote
on Nov 1, 2010 1:46 PM
I'm afraid I have to agree with you. Little value in this online magazine. There are only a few patterns and everything else is available for free online. Many links I have previously accessed. It took me a couple of hours at most to go through every page and every link. I wish I had read these posts before before I spent my hard earned sheckels on practically nothing. Such a far cry from their knitting magazine!!!! I was hoping for help with common problems - holes at the beginning of the gussets, figuring out where to start the gusset for toe-up socks, flattening the toe cast off for a rounder toe shape, etc. I was hoping I would have one place I could go to online for help because I can't always remember where those answers are in the many books and magazines I have. I was hoping to use this on my phone or iPad eventually. Too bad. Great concept - overpriced product. I would like to ask for my money back. All that being said and after reading some other comments, to be fair I have to add: I loved what WAS there. I loved the format, the links, the videos (mine worked), the tips, the rollovers, the PDFs, the patterns. The whole way it was put together really worked well. I didn't mind the ads so much.
Not Ranked
Posts 3
jburson wrote
on Nov 2, 2010 9:12 AM

I AGREE.  I WAS HOPING FOR MORE BASIC HELP AND ONE PLACE I COULD GO FOR VIDEOS SHOWING HOW TO DO SOME OF THE TOE SHAPINGS AND HOW TO KNIT WITHOUT HOLES AT THE GUSSET.  I WILL TRY TO CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Nov 2, 2010 9:52 AM

jburson:
I WAS HOPING FOR MORE BASIC HELP AND ONE PLACE I COULD GO FOR VIDEOS SHOWING HOW TO DO SOME OF THE TOE SHAPINGS AND HOW TO KNIT WITHOUT HOLES AT THE GUSSET.

Hi to everyone who is wanting help for socks,

As far as the video tutorials go, please use your search engine.  Type in the words for what you want to know how to do and add the word "tutorial".  You will very likely be taken to web site links that will give you hundreds of youtube help videos for that subject.  I knit but like to have a video as well as written instructions when learning to do something new in anything.  There is also a SOCKS forum that runs on KD.  You are welcome to come join us over there and pose your questions, share your experiences, and just talk about socks or anything knitting.

HOW TO KNIT WITHOUT HOLES AT THE GUSSET    This is simple and one trick I learned from my Mom.  Ann Budd also uses this.  When you have picked up your stitches along the heel flap (ie. 10), go down and pick up the "bottom of the stitch" that is between the heel flap and the top of the instep.  No holes.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
tamarque wrote
on Nov 6, 2010 10:26 AM

I have to add my voice to these complaints.  I felt sorely abused by this edition.  So much selling and virtually no discussion and patterns that are free online elsewhere.  I have been trying to convince myself that I gave it a try and there may have been one or 2 new tips in the back, but for the price, it was a poor service.  Plus the fact that many of the links did not work. 

It is a sorry state that many online services start out with providing real material and then devolve into mass marketing of product without maintaining the informational feature.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
CraftieEwe wrote
on Nov 13, 2010 11:30 PM

I have to add my voice to these complaints.  I felt sorely abused by this edition.  So much selling and virtually no discussion and patterns that are free online elsewhere.  I have been trying to convince myself that I gave it a try and there may have been one or 2 new tips in the back, but for the price, it was a poor service.  Plus the fact that many of the links did not work. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
PatriceK wrote
on Nov 17, 2010 3:48 PM

I have to agree that this is an extremely expensive investment. Everything in this issue I was able to find on my own 4 years ago when I started knitting socks by just doing google searches and reading different knitting forums I found.  I'm not sure what I expected but it certainly wasn't 19 pages of information that could have been put in a pamphlet. I didn't have the problem others experienced with the videos. I do have a question and would like to know, do we have to pay $ for each issue. I wrote and asked about this and never received a direct reply to my question only a standard response they send to everyone who has questions. Very disappointing. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Nov 17, 2010 4:32 PM

PatriceK:
I do have a question and would like to know, do we have to pay $ for each issue. I wrote and asked about this and never received a direct reply to my question only a standard response they send to everyone who has questions. Very disappointing. 

Hi PatriceK,

I believe this was answered on another Sockupied forum (same type of heading but different blogs).  Basically this e-mag was put out to see what the response was to it and perhaps other future issues would be made.  As far as I know, only one issue was made???

I didn't buy it cause like you, I can find any sock information through the web.  We also have a sock "forum" going on here on KD.  It is called SOCKS and we started off discussing socks and the problems/ideas/solutions to our sock delimnas and delights.  It has evolved to other things too.  If you want, come say hello to us over there.

Happy socking! Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Glenda@31 wrote
on Dec 28, 2010 10:50 PM

VERY poor value!  Even one of the "free" patterns had expired!  I just suckered into buying the issue and it's all outdated info.  Fool me once......

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 197
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Jan 10, 2011 11:28 AM

PatriceK:

I do have a question and would like to know, do we have to pay $ for each issue.

Dear Patrice,

I'm sorry you didn't get a clear answer to this question. There is not currently a subscription option for Sockupied; each one is available only as a single issue for now. We weren't sure if there would be more issues and if so how many. We are at work developing a second issue now, and the feedback from readers has been really helpful in shaping it.

Best,

Anne Merrow

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 197
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Jan 10, 2011 11:33 AM

Glenda@31:

Even one of the "free" patterns had expired!  

I'm pleased to let you know that Cookie A has graciously agreed to extend the free pattern for the Cubist Socks for 3 more months. You can access the pattern through the link in the issue (or directly through the Knitting Daily site).

That pattern isn't counted as one of the three patterns in the first issue, but when the magazine initially came out I wanted to make knitters aware of a less-known pattern by an incredibly popular designer. 

I wish there were a mechanism for updating links in the issue. You might want to try those links again in the future; in some cases server traffic or other technical issues can temporarily make a site unavailable. 

Best,

Anne

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Jessica1004 wrote
on Feb 9, 2011 6:40 AM

I have to agree.  I ordered the SpinKnit online edition & loved it, ordered Knitting Traditions last year & love it, so since I am an avid sock knitter I jumped allover ordering Sockupied. I have to say it kept me occupied for about 10 minutes.  I already have several of the patterns. I can live with that since of course that sometimes happens with an extended pattern stash, but the limited number of patterns compared to advertising was terrible.  Maybe there should be a better ratio of pattern or article to advertising.  I will be thinking twice about ordering any other online editions, which is really sad because I really enjoy the fact that I can download the editions rather than have a ton of magazines & books laying about.  I like being ablet to store the magazine on my computer, too bad this one was such a stinker :-(

Jessica

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Onyourfeet wrote
on Mar 1, 2011 12:43 PM

Welcome to Knitting Daily and the world of knitting!  A good place to start out is right here, which is a catalog of free patterns from Knitting Daily.  Enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS