Turn sock inside out and knit. The working yarn is on the wrong needle.

This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Dee@14 wrote
on Oct 30, 2010 5:22 PM

Making a Christmas stocking with a picot top edge.  Pattern says to turn work inside out with wrong side facing and knit a round.  This puts the working yarn on the left needle..  That will leave a hole.  I know there is a way to slip stitches around so the working yarn comes from the right needle, but I can't remember how to do it.  Can anyone help?  Thank you in advance.  This is for my third great grandchild's first Christmas.

Thank you for anyone who answers this before I can get it edited.  I actually found my instructions which is a wonder as I am in the process of moving and usually can't find anything. (nearly 30 years of "stuff" to move).

Dee

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Oct 30, 2010 6:19 PM

Dee@14:
Pattern says to turn work inside out with wrong side facing and knit a round.  This puts the working yarn on the left needle..  That will leave a hole. 

Hi Dee,

You will just have to keep on turning your work and manipulate those needles so that the working yarn comes off your right needle.  I suggest that you pick up the needle with the working yarn in your right hand, now manipulate that your other needles around until they are all in the right place to continue knitting.

It is a frustrating step but one that can be managed.  The only other way out of this is to take and simply purl the necessary rows/rounds for as long as is needed.

Hope it helps you, Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Dee@14 wrote
on Oct 30, 2010 8:35 PM

Thanks, Zoe.  I did find my old instructions which I used as there are not quite as many moves involved.  Basically, before turning the work inside out, purl the last stitch on the round before turning, bring yarn to the back, slip one stitch from the left needle to the right on, bring yarn to front of work, slip the stitch back to left needle, then turn work inside out and the yarn is in the right place.

Again, I appreciate your help.

Dee

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Oct 30, 2010 9:40 PM

Hi Dee,

Chuckles about the whole knitting thing!  Just when you thought you had something figured out, you need a "new insite" to what is really going on!  My Mom came across this "turn the sock inside out and knit" too.  She is making some "flock sock" pattern that Andrea W posted on the SOCKS thread.  It is a cute pattern.  Basically, you knit the "cuff" which you turn down and if you don't do it right, then the sheep are laying on their backs with their feet in the air! hehe

Socks are my favorite things to knit, happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 109
SusanD@51 wrote
on Oct 31, 2010 9:11 AM

Hi Dee,

I had to turn my sock inside out to knit a portion of a pattern I did called "Diana's Trail Socks" that I posted on the Readers Knitting Gallery.  After I turned my sock inside out you're right the yarn was on the wrong needle(left needle) if you're knitting the round from the outside of the sock.  I knit my rounds from the inside around so the working yarn could be on the right needle.  This creates a bumpy pattern on the outside.  This is usually done when there is some kind of cuff that needs to be turned down.  Since this is the first row after turning your knitting inside out you may have a small hole where you started the row.  To avoid this after knitting a row pick up 1 stitch in the row below the first stitch knit and knit it together with the first stitch.  I don't know what your sock pattern looks like but turning your work inside out should create a different pattern than what you've had.  Hope this helps.

Susan

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS