guilty

This post has 15 Replies | 6 Followers rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Izzy2 Huh? [:^)] wrote
on Nov 4, 2010 5:00 PM

Do you ever feel guilty for taking the time to knit?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 4, 2010 5:07 PM

Now that's a loaded question!  Are you putting off something essential that you need to do first? 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
HHudson wrote
on Nov 4, 2010 7:17 PM

No, but only because I think of it this way- My live-in boyfriend has his books, movies, and other pass-times that provide him "alone time," so shouldn't I have something to do for myself, by myself? I do my knitting when I need something to take my mind off of our busy life-style and to keep my autonomy :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Nov 4, 2010 9:48 PM

Hi All,

Feel guilty about knitting???  Are you kidding???  This is my destresser, relaxer, and hobby.  I only feel guilty about not finishing a project!!! and who hasn't???   If I have too much physical pain so I can't knit, then I pick up a knitting book and read it.  or I come on to the KD site and read what the others are up to.

Knitters don't need a reason to knit, they need an excuse not to knit, Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 4
pepbac wrote
on Mar 28, 2011 6:45 AM

No i don't, in fact i regret the time i wanted doing some courses which has lead me nowhere instead of going for knitting school.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
zuhpiter wrote
on Apr 27, 2011 11:36 PM

Knitting is not a thing to be guilty of compare to having an affair to someone else. That would like playing a ball of fire magic soaking in a hot tub of desires.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Apr 28, 2011 1:38 AM

The short answer?

Nope!

Though I do believe women very often feel guilty about the love they have for or joy they receive from, anything that "frees" them.  That this feeling is equally as often perpetuated by those we love, is both telling and sad. But as for me, I am blessed with the gift of knitting and the time to engage in my passion for it, as often as I like. I have also been blessed with an exhibitionist streak of sorts, and have noticed, when out and about with my (small) projects in tow, the furtive looks (desire, envy?) of other women (and in some cases, men). I ain't that sexy. It's the knitting. I am proud to have no guilt or shame in my game and to be in fact, "a Knitting Temptress". It's my job. "I AM KNITTER. HEAR ME ROAR!" Or better still, next time you see me, throw caution (guilt) to the wind, and join me. It just so happens, that I have and extra pair size 7's and I always buy more yarn  than My project calls for. Wink

Not Ranked
Posts 5
IQuantum wrote
on May 6, 2011 3:33 AM

Not really. It's my business anyway. Smile

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
milroygrams wrote
on May 14, 2011 5:23 PM

Absolutely, positively, most emphatically NOT!!!  I figure it this way- I don't have near enough time to knit. Or crochet. Or do cross-stitch. Or quilt. Or sew.  By the time I put in 40 hrs at work, go to my teen daughter's activities, do my parent volunteer stuff, spend time with my older children and 11 grandchildren and make a little time for my hubby  (he insists!), do the lovely chores around the house that I just can't put off another minute I DESERVE EVERY SINGLE SECOND I GET TO KNIT! I refuse to feel guilty about spending the little time I get for me doing something I love.  As soon as my daughter goes to college (august), I plan on knitting more and more and more!!!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 110
WendyJ@4 wrote
on May 15, 2011 2:52 AM

Hi,  are you kidding - absolutely no guilt whatsoever - I sometimes knit from morning to night and still there are not enough hours in a day - If I was not knitting what would I be doing in my spare time - Watch TV  or a movie ?  or reading a book, well I do these things while I knit anyway so I see it as making better use of my time. I do the necessary housework in between so I have no reason to feel guilty..

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Oraicia wrote
on Jun 27, 2011 9:06 PM

Occasionally, yeah, I definitely do. I have a really busy life, so there is always a tonne of other stuff I should be doing instead of knitting. I mostly blame my mom for making me feel guilty. If she sees me knitting when I should be studying, or getting something ready for the next day, she accuses me of being unproductive. Which is partially true, I guess. I'm such a sporadic knitter that it is mostly unproductive.

But I still love it! I actually just started up again after about three years of not touching the yarn and needles. And I just finished my first project since I stopped.  A terrible quality pair of wristwarmers that I gave to my little brother, who wears them religiously. Big Smile

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
Ferozkhan wrote
on Jul 16, 2011 5:19 AM

Mam ! you are really a hard worker or can i say Hard Knitter Wink

Not Ranked
Posts 2
johnmethew wrote
on Aug 4, 2011 12:17 PM

For those who like knitting and they have that as their passion / keen interest, they can't ever feel guilty for devoting / spending time to knit. They just enjoy doing it. That is very simple!

John Methew

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Aug 4, 2011 2:54 PM

Hi Oraicia,

I was glad to read that you finished your project of wristwarmers.  And that your brother is wearing them and obviously enjoying the fruits of your work.  So I wanted to encourage you to keep knitting, since you mentioned you picked up your needles after three years.  Keeping your projects small might be what will allow you to keep knitting even though you are busy with school studies or other responsibilities at home with your mom.  Keep mom happy and make her a little something!  A dishcloth, headband, change purse, key fob or, something she would use since you know what she would like.  Meanwhile she will appreciate and see that you are "productive".  Wink   Sometimes we just need a little diversion to keep happy. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
teamtravis wrote
on Aug 26, 2011 5:22 AM

Well unless you neglect to do the things that should be done first, then you'll really feel guilty about it=)

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS