Winter 2010

This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
DianaP wrote
on Nov 5, 2010 10:43 AM

I can't believe it. I feel that the Winter 2010 edition of Interweave Knits has totally alienated me. I am one of the thousands of young women who enjoy knitting and regularly turn to this magazine for patterns and inspiration.  In the past there has always been at least 3-5 patterns that I can't live with out per magazine, but this issue contains nothing that would appeal to my tastes, never mind my demographic. Interweave knits used to be fresher and in tune with some element of current fashion, or even simply what elegance looks like. However, lately I find this publication slipping farther and farther away from these concepts/ideals.  I can flip through my dozens of back issues and find countless beautiful and timeless designs, but the recent offerings by Interweave are become increasingly stuffy, frumpy, and simple.  Where are the clean lines and interesting silhouettes? Where are the challenging designs for the more advanced knitter? Where is the progressive knit-design that was once associated with this magazine?  The beauty of Interweave's former incarnation is that when I turn to those back issues I find that many of the garments are still fashionable today. Maybe "fashionable" isn't an appropriate word, I think "timeless" better describes your previous offerings. Now I can hardly find ANYTHING that I would want to be seen wearing (though I have to admit that the socks in this issue are a small glimmer of style that remains). 

I am so disappointed with the recent output of Interweave that I am considering cancelling my subscription. On top of that, I think I will remove myself from the Interweave and Knitting Daily mailing lists. The Knitting Daily "newsletters" have gone from being an engaging source of relevant information to being nothing more than a thinly veiled vehicle for advertisement. I also receive such on onslaught of redundant junk mail from you that I have started to delete all mail from "Interweave" or "Knitting Daily"  before reading it. 

What is going on at Interweave? Have you lost all integrity? I want my magazine back. If this current trend of complacency continues, I will be cancelling my subscripting after the spring issue.  Why should I pay for such irrelevant content when I can find more challenging and satisfying material in a free publication like www.knitty.com?

-D

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
L Tyler wrote
on Nov 5, 2010 1:13 PM

I just looked at the preview myself. Will I make any of the patterns? well, maybe. The boot socks with the snowflake design are cute, the lace shawl is lovely (but I'd NEVER use it). The striped sweaters are ... um ... not so great. And a lot of the necklines aren't what I'd use. But those can be adjusted easily. Stripes can be changed or eliminated, colors can be changed as well.  

I think that inspiration is what I mostly get from Knits. I have made some of the patterns, I'm making the Oriel lace blouse from a couple years back right now (well, I started it a couple years ago & now I'm working my way through the sleeves) It's a good example of starting with a pattern & going in your own direction. I changed the neckline, I'm using some handspun alpaca / silk yarn, & I'm going to add beads on  the cuffs.

I do have to agree that the e-newsletters are frequently about promotion rather than knitting information. I wish they would send pattern corrections out in the newsletter e-mails! (Is anyone at Interweave listening?) And I completely agree that Knitty is GREAT!

I do still read Knits cover-to-cover, though. And Spin Off, although it, too, used to be more enthralling than it is these days. We have to acknowledge as readers that it really is difficult for editors / publishers to keep up a high quality of content.  But we have a right to give feedback, too.            LT

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Nov 5, 2010 1:19 PM

DianaP:
this issue contains nothing that would appeal to my tastes, never mind my demographic
DianaP:
I can't believe it. I feel that the Winter 2010 edition of Interweave Knits has totally alienated me. I am one of the thousands of young women who enjoy knitting and regularly turn to this magazine for patterns and inspiration.

Hi DianaP,

I am soooooooooooo sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy that you are soooooooooooooo selfish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    And only think of yourself.  It is not your magazine printed exclusively for you.  There are thousands and thousands of other knitters who want some simple patterns and lines that suit them.  As I understand the Interweave Knits magazine, they cater to all knitters and not just the ones who want something specific for themselves.  You do get a choice of buying this magazine or not.  I love getting the previews through the e-mailing lists.  I get to look through the magazine and decide if I want to buy the issue or not.  I do want to buy this issue as there are more things relevant for my knitting needs than some previous magazines that IK have printed.  I do not complain about them as I recognize that they also have knitters who want those issues. 

If you can get

DianaP:
more challenging and satisfying material in a free publication
then do so.  Quit your gripping already.

A happy knitter satisfied with IK, Zoe Smile

PS  And what is wrong with all those intricate stitching patterns featured in the shawls?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 56
BeKKnits wrote
on Nov 22, 2010 9:43 PM

Wow, I think I liked this magazine just as much as DianaP hated it. I LOVE the cover sweater. I loved the article on Quince & Co. I loved how they have quotes from the designers of the items now. This is my fourth IK issue and I like it more than my other ones. Also, how could you look at that magazine and say that none of the designs are classical or timeless? If IK doesn't satisfy you than by all means go somewhere else for your resources. But IK can't make everyone happy. I thought maybe next year I would get Knitscene instead but not if they keep thrilling me with the next issues like they did with this one. All the patterns flow together and the whole magazine has an awesome aesthetic appeal. There are easier patterns and more challenging ones. Keep up the good work IK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 109
SusanD@51 wrote
on Nov 23, 2010 6:50 PM

So, cancel your subscription and let us who enjoy it enjoy!!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
patpritchett wrote
on Nov 24, 2010 1:21 AM

This post has obviously stirred deep feelings in some people.  I have only subscribed to the magazine via the internet for the last year, but with my subscription I did receive the previous 2 years for which I am grateful.  

I live in Turkey so am not as lucky as some and can't just go to a news stand (is this right I'm British so forgive me if not) and flick through the pages before I buy so when I get my new download which by the way always throws me I really look forward to and can't wait to get those needles out.

At the time I signed up for my subscription I said to myself I would try the first year and see how it goes.

In my opinion I think the patterns that were in the first 2 years offered me more things that I would choose to make.  

Certainly over probably the last 4 issues I have struggled to find anything I liked.  In fact I didn't even bother to look at the one before last for about a month and when I did I really didn't like anything.

I tend to knit for my friends and family as gifts so I do take their taste into account when choosing the design,  I would like to think my choices are not singleminded.  Also I have a young Granddaughter for whom I love to knit but there never seems to be many things for babies and children.

What I am trying to say is I understand completely what Diana is saying and I also understand that others don't agree, but what is the point of having a discussion forum if someone isn't allowed to have an opinion.  Also the powers that be hopefully read these things and I'm sure would want to take note.

Well I've tried it for a year and I had considered renewing my subscription because I'm ever the optimist but I really can't afford to waste money so I have already made the decision not to,

I will be checking in though as I said ever the optimist!

Pat

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS