Kinks in circular needles

This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 11
DorothyH@10 wrote
on Nov 13, 2010 7:23 PM

How do I get the kinks out of circular knitting needles ( the portion that is flexible)?  I've been trying to unwind, unbend, untwist and nothing works.  This is not only annoying, but very time-consuming and slows up my speed.Angry

Thanks for your response

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Nov 13, 2010 7:39 PM

DorothyH@10:
How do I get the kinks out of circular knitting needles

Hi DorothyH,

For myself, I found that if I run the nylon flexible part under the hot water tap and pull the cord straight, that usually works.  You have to do this a number of times for it to get the kinks out.  Once the kinks are out, don't wrap up the cord again.  Put it in a plastic sleeve and mark the length and size on that sleeve.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 11
DorothyH@10 wrote
on Nov 15, 2010 1:27 PM

Thank you sooo much, Zoe .......Big Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 15, 2010 3:10 PM

ZassZ:

The needles don't stay curled or kinked up because there's a little trick to keeping them uncurled.  Do you want to know what that is? 

Hi - the secret is to put a small pot of water on.  Bring to boil.  Turn off heat.  Hold needles in a u shape over the pot.  Dip your plastic cord portion only into the water for approx. 1 min.  Take out of water and then hold needle straight from one tip end and let hang straight down.  Then run your fingertips down the length of cord.  As the plastic cools it will be straight.  Do not put the portion in water where it joins, only up to about an inch away on each side from where they join.  Once you do this they will stay straightened out and you won't have to bother with it again.  Yes  I got this tip a long time ago and have used it ever since.  Have never had a pair of circulars give me any problem after that nor have they come apart.   It really works well.   

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 11
DorothyH@10 wrote
on Nov 16, 2010 4:23 PM

Thank you ZassZ - I'm totally convincedWink

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Knitmeister wrote
on Nov 17, 2010 8:37 AM

Ha!  You must have Addis?  I personally don't enjoy heating water, soaking cords, and stretching them out.  Especially when considering how expensive those needles are... I buy Knitpicks needles and never have to be bothered.  They're wonderful!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 17, 2010 6:04 PM

I have so many different brands of needles.  But the truth is, that the Addi needles have never needed anything extra done to them and they are the only ones that I have not had to relax the cords on.  Take a peak. I just took these out of the pkg and no twists. 

The thickness of the cord is wonderful for bearing the weight of heavier, bulkier projects.  I think that they have given me many hours of care free knitting experience and I love them.  Of course, many of my needles are of different composition and I make my selection of the various woods, plastic, amber, glass or metal ones depending on the yarn I am using.  But I will say again, once I have employed the method above, (and it is a very easy solution) because once straightened this way, they stay that way.  It is really fun collecting them all.  Wink 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 17, 2010 6:07 PM

Hi DorothyH@10,

Your welcome.  Are you working on a project or anything at the moment? Have a good time if you are Yes!

Not Ranked
Posts 11
DorothyH@10 wrote
on Nov 27, 2010 11:55 PM

Thank you - I will invest in the Addi needles....Wink

Not Ranked
Posts 11
DorothyH@10 wrote
on Nov 28, 2010 12:15 AM

The "I will invest in the Addi needles"  thank you was meant for you.  I pushed the wrong reply button.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
DorothyH@10 wrote
on Nov 28, 2010 12:22 AM

Hi ZassZ.....I'm finishing a sweater that I started 2 years ago.  Not that I'm slow.....I switched to making chainmaille and beaded jewelry in the interim.Cool

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 30, 2010 2:41 PM

Hii DorothyH@10

Nice to hear from you and thank you. What color is your sweater and what yarn are you using?  I was wondering if you are doing the sweater on the circulars we were talking about?  I really think you will enjoy knitting in the round if you haven't already.  Did you do a lot of jewelry making? 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS