Tit-Bits Program: Knitted Breast Prosthetics

This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on May 29, 2008 12:51 PM

I've started a group knitting prosthetic breasts for breast cancer survivors here in MT. They are a light, affordable alternative to the expensive ($400) ones. Now that my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, she is a recipeient.

Each Tit-Bit takes me about 2 hrs to complete. If anyone is interested in starting a similar group, contact me @ meagi1@bresnan.net. The pattern is downloadable from knitty.com. The creator, Beryl Tsang, doesn't allow these to be made for sale, only for charity.

The women I've made Tit-Bits for love them. These do not float, so they can be worn in the pool. They are lightweight and washable. 

One woman couldn't wear the prosthetics. She can wear these. An 80 yr old woman can now afford to feel normal in public. I've made nearly 50 in a few months. I have nearly 50 women knitting in MT and CA.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
RachelL wrote
on Jun 3, 2008 9:19 PM

I'm interested in joining you in knitting Tit-Bits, I am located in Eastern Montana.  I lost my mother to breast cancer last Fall, but not before I had knit her Tit-Bit of her own.  It certainly lifted her spirits. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Jun 4, 2008 3:56 PM

I'm so sorry about your mother. I'm glad you could do something to lift her spirits.

All it takes is contacting a local Cancer center and donating the Tit-Bits. I knit through Sletten Cancer Institute and Great Falls Specialty Clinic Cancer Center. I donated several and when they run out they give me a jingle. If there is something that someone wants, they do contact me directly. I finished an "F" for one woman. It fit on the needles.

In the fall, I'll be teaching a Tit-Bits class on how to knit these. I'll see if either the Clinic or Sletten could underwrite the class. Nothing ventured...

We can't sell these, they are copyrighted. I wouldn't want to profit from someone else's misfortune. I do get free-will donations that do cover the cost of yarn (soft) and stuffing. I get women who send me skipping stones (the weight) from their walks. The stories shared are the best part.

meagi1@bresnan.net is my email.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Yucca Ann wrote
on Jun 19, 2011 2:24 PM

Hi Denise.  My name is Ann.  I'm a breast cancer surviver, who is interested in having a knit prothesis.  Thankfully the Dr. got the cancer (it was a rare form of breast cancer, but very treatable.)  I'm thankful to be alive & adjusting to the difference in my shape, (it's been a month since the surgery) & it seems silly to be concerned about a prothesis but clothing doesn't fit well with a lop-sided front.  I'm trying to learn to knit but it's taking time.

In the mean-time I'd love to have a knit prothesis (of artificial yarn.)  I'm allergic to things like wool. 

Medicare will pay for breast prothesis expensive as they are that is a blessing for people my age (I'm 70) but I think the knitted ones look a lot more comfortable.  Please let me know where I can find someone to make one for me (bra size C.)

Also any great ideas for learning to knit?

Blessings,

Ann in Northeastern New Mexico.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
rosemeary wrote
on Jul 2, 2011 4:39 AM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

All of our sales staff and customer service representative are fully trained and knowledgeable about the products we offer futon frames . We strive for ultimate customer satisfaction and with free shipping on every item we stock futon covers , you will save money and time by not having to pay additional shipping costs during checkout.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************
futon frames
futon covers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 122
Kelleigh wrote
on Jul 2, 2011 1:56 PM

Yucca Ann:

Please let me know where I can find someone to make one for me (bra size C.)

Also any great ideas for learning to knit?

Blessings,

Ann in Northeastern New Mexico.

Hello Ann,

I live in New Mexico and I know how to knit/crochet.  Give me a 'jingle' and I'd be happy to try to help you out!

KELLEIGH~~

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Yucca Ann wrote
on Jul 5, 2011 1:07 PM

Thanks Kelleigh.  That's really kind of you.  How do I reach you.  (Forum skilled I'm not.)  ^_^

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 122
Kelleigh wrote
on Jul 5, 2011 9:35 PM

Ann,

I have sent you a private message about our project.  You will see it when you click on the friendship/conversations icon in the upper right hand corner next to your name.  You may even get that message in your private mailbox for your email program.  Let me know if you don't get it or can't find it.

KELLEIGH~~

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Yucca Ann wrote
on Jul 6, 2011 4:06 PM

Kelleigh,

Hi.  I'm still having a hard time navigating this site.  I feel as lost as a goose in a snow storm, in trying to find things on this site.

This entire experience of breast cancer has been a series of new experiences.  I'm blessed that the Dr. felt they got all the cancer & I'm working to find things that are positive as I task through the medication phase of this thing.  My quilting friends have been awesome although none of my closest "quilt buddies" have dealt with breast cancer themselves, they have been really supportive.  I don't belong to the Eastern Star, but my understanding is their special project for this year (in New Mexico) is breast cancer.  I've learned a lot about breast cancer, & gotten a renewed respect for women who deal with it & go on with their lives. 

Thanks again Kelleigh, for being so kind. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Sep 5, 2011 6:18 PM

jewenbernal:

hello every one!!! im just new here..looking for new friends here..

http://www.knittingdaily.com/members/jewenbernal/default.aspx

Judging from the other posts you have done, you are only here to post your spam on.  Get off the site if you have nothing knitting to contribute.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS