Please help me, I have no clue where to start!!!

This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 2
teachme101 wrote
on Nov 16, 2010 12:43 PM

Hi,

I'm brand new here, and I've never held a knitting needle in my life!! I just watched 'Knitting Daily' for the first time, and it made me want to get into it!

My sister in law is Pregnant, due April 2011, and I saw a felted bag on the show that I am interested in finding out how to make. However, if possible... and if I decide to make it I would like to turn it more into a basket, square with a flat bottom.

I have no clue where to start.. I don't know what needles I'd need, what a pattern looks like.. what kind of yarn is best.. and how to make a pattern on the basket.

If anyone is out there and has any tips AT ALL it would be very helpful.. I am going into this blindly and have no idea where to start!!!!

Please,

teachme101

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 16, 2010 2:03 PM

Hi teachme 101,

I wanted to share this with you.  Candace EiIsner Strick book Knit One, Stripe Two:Making The Most of Self Striping Yarns has 27 patterns including felted accessories and one is a huge felted basket.  You will have to learn knit and purl first, or at the least knit stitch. 

Please try the http://knitting.about.com.  for all sorts of printed instruction, pictures and videos on how to learn to cast on, knit, purl, cast off, and felting info.  It should help get you started and add to what ever knowledge you find elsewhere.  There are so many helpful knitting sources.  Read about this little felted nesting bowl page at http://about.com/od/feltingpatterns/p/felted_bowl.htm  After reading it should help you to understand the concept of starting out with a flat square or a flat circle to do your basket with.  It can be adapted by just making it bigger by adding more stitches to the base for the larger size you want.  On the same page are two videos to show how to do the knit stitch and the purl stitch. 

Hope you enjoy and if you get any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask.  Smile  We all had to start somewhere, usually at the beginning!

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
teachme101 wrote
on Nov 16, 2010 2:19 PM

Wow thank you!!! A lot of those words are jibberish to me. But I hope to use the resources that you suggested to figure it all out!!! Thanks so much!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Nov 16, 2010 2:24 PM

teachme101:
I've never held a knitting needle in my life!!

Hi teachme 101,

In addition to what ZassZ has said, when you go to the www.knittinghelp.com site, there are two different ways to learn to knit.  I recommend the continental knitting style as once you get knitting, it is a much smoother and quicker way to knit. 

I recommend that you make "swatches" of your knitting to get you started in getting your tension and stitching correct.  You will cast on 30 stitches and simply do a knit stitch for every stitch you knit.  Then keep that swatch.  Make another swatch where you will knit on one side and purl on the other side.

Another suggestion that I have for you is to go down to your local yarn store (LYS) and ask them for help.  There will likely be a simple pattern for you to purchase.  They will also be able to help you out with choosing the proper yarn and needles for you. 

Is there a knitting group in your town?  is there someone in your community who knits?  they can be very valuable to you.  I have never run across another knitter who isn't willing to assist another.

teachme101:
I am going into this blindly and have no idea where to start!!!!
   By the way, you have started and you aren't blind!!! We would love to help you out. 

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 16, 2010 2:27 PM

HI again, 

You are welcome.  You will figure it, just take your time and while reading take notes on paper or draw a mental picture.  Wink  Start a notebook or binder for yourself at the very beginning of your learning experience.  You will find that in no time you will have lots of resources to go back to for reference.  How you organize it is up to you and can be a really fun part of learning to knit too.  Hope you for a happy day. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 16, 2010 2:30 PM

Hi Zoe,

Just see you now.  How are you doing today? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Nov 16, 2010 3:08 PM

Hi ZassZ,

It could be better today but then it could also be worse!!  I did give you a "letter" on hats crazy.  I had missed your post and found it yesterday.  I gave you some cowl information too!

Was a bit hectic for us today.  When John came off the dialyzer, we thought his access sites had finished clotting off for the time and they hadn't -- bled for another hour.  It was quite the site to clean up too.  Lucky, our schnauzer thought she should get in on the action too! hehe   Lots of hydrogen peroxide used today to clean up!! 

How is your bowtie blanket?  How many bowties do you have on it??

Happy knitting for us folks!!  Zoe Smile

PS  My Mom is getting a laptop computer for Christmas from my brother!  Now she is going to join us and everyone can learn from her wisdom! I ask her so many questions!!  chuckles and yippy, its another one added to the knitting family!!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Nov 16, 2010 3:58 PM

Zoe,

Oh my goodness.  I am glad you are done with all that!  1 Cor. 13:4-8.  You have some incredible qualities that contribute to your having a successful marriage.  King Solomon's words apply to married couples.  "Two are better than one, for if one of them should fall, the other one can raise his partner up.  But how will it be with just the one who falls when there is not another to raise him up?"  Ecc. 4:9,10 

By coincidence I was just reading your post back about how you had to choose between a Boston Terrier and a Schnauzer and you chose the Schnauzer because you saw it first.  What a coincidence you mentioned her today because I was going to post back that I love those little Schnauzers.  They are the cutest little things?  Of course, I think I love all dogs too, but my friend had a cute little one that looked like a little man with his eyebrows and all. 

I will have quite a few bow ties when all done and then will count them all up for you.  Oh so glad your mom is going to joing in.  I can't wait to meet her.  This should be so much fun for her too.  Please let us know when and who she will be calling herself.  Big Smile  Will you please welcome her for me in advance? 

I just answered your letter on hats crazy and glad I saw this before I went off.  Wink

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Nov 16, 2010 6:24 PM

Hi ZassZ,

Chuckles and humor get one through it all!  One of my favorites is II Cor.12: 9,10    Incidently, my Mom's name is Grace so this bible passage has very special meaning for me!

I do love the little schnauzers and wouldn't hesitate to get another in a heart beat!  I would love to be a rescue home for mini schnauzers.  They are such a "giving-back-to-you" kind of dog. 

I was just over at VogueKnitting to see the cowl.  It is very nice.  I downloaded the Patons Angora Bamboo Cowl.  The stitch is an interesting and uncomplicated one that I can do.  While I was there, I also downloaded the Knitting Sheep.  I am going to make this one up for my Mom in honor of her joining the knitting on line stuff.  Right now she is remembering all things "sheep" and wool from her girlhood days.  She and her Mom would go out and call "dibba, dibba, ...." and the sheep would come down from the pasture to the barn for the night.  Thanks ever so much for pointing me to the Vogue site.  I did sign up and register there.  They have some really nice knitting patterns there.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile  TTYL

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS