3 stitch I cord

This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 2
carol@49 wrote
on Nov 17, 2010 11:30 AM

What is a 3 stitch I cord and how do I start it?  I know it's for buttons but I don't know how to start.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Nov 17, 2010 4:15 PM

carol@49:
What is a 3 stitch I cord and how do I start it?

Hi Carol,

Here is what I have found for you.  I have not done a 3 stitch i-cord.  I have done i-cords but the ones I do are generally for a slender tube to use on knitted toys for their arms or legs and I use 6 or 8 stitches.  I am not sure how you would incorporate this into buttons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSs-02rPbs4 

http://www.showmehowcrafts.com/3stitch_icord.htm

http://www.knittingatknoon.com/I_cord.html

What you may be looking for with the buttons, is doing an i-cord bind off for the button holes.  Here are some sites for this (although the i-cord bind off is mostly used to finish off the necklines and the edges of the cardigans).

http://knitting.about.com/od/learntoknit/ss/icord-bindoff.htm

This one gives you many links to video how tos for an i-cord bind off.  http://www.google.ca/search?q=i-cord+bind+off&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ADBF_en&prmd=v&source=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&ei=lGTkTLvYKpKesQPHlYhn&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CDkQqwQwAg

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 2
carol@49 wrote
on Nov 17, 2010 5:33 PM

thank you Zoe, I have no idea what this 3 stitch I cord is either but it was in the latest email from Knitting Daily and it was by the editor. It looked like it was instead of a buttonhole or it was a cord made by itself.  I'm not sure how to get in touch with the editor but it wasn't explained how to start or if it was a contiuation of a buttonhole. Thank you for your reply and your research. Carol

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Nov 17, 2010 9:52 PM

carol@49:
it was in the latest email from Knitting Daily and it was by the editor.

Hi Carol,

I see now what you are referring to.  Yes, I did get the newsletter in my email.  Kathleen Cubley was pointing out something from Vicki Square's book.  It was how to make some button holes that you sew/attache to the kimono (directions and patterns are in the book mentioned in the email).  I assume that Kathleen assumed that all knitters know how to make an i-cord and so these directions were left out of her email.  The directions are likely in Vicki's book.

What you do is make a 3 stitch i-cord that is eleven inches long. Next you can twist and loop this i-cord into a button hole/clasp by following the diagrams she provided in the email.  You then stitch this onto the kimono.

You can do this i-cord by following the first  links I gave you in my first post.  The reason you only use 3 stitches, is to get a nice narrow knitted "tube" to make these button closures with.  I mentioned that I use 6 or 8 stitches to make arms and legs for knitted toys as this will give me a tube that is a little bigger and can be stuffed.   I encourage you to make an i-cord and see what you think.  Many knitted hats have i-cords for tassels and they are also used for ties on ear flap hats.  You may want to make a very long brightly colored i-cord for a Christmas wreath decoration or any where that a tie/belt is needed.  (Sorry this last bit is all italics but the computer just went crazy and it won't let me undo it.)
Don't ever be sorry that you don't know how to do something when it comes to knitting.  Remember that all knitters once new only that there was a ball of yarn and needles.  Someone showed/taught them to knit.  And someone else taught them something else in knitting, etc.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
a2965z-craft wrote
on Nov 19, 2010 8:10 AM

I have a pattern that includes these instructions for an attached I-cord but I don't understand how to do the 'Left Edge' part. If I'm reading this right you have three stitches on the left needle, you pick up and knit a stitch from the selvedge edge (now on the right needle). How do you slip a stitch from the left needle over a stitch that's on the right needle? If you slip the picked up stitch to the left then pass the first stitch over you still have three stitches on the left needle. Sorry, it doesn't make sense to me. Can anyone help?

"Attached I-cord:

Right edge: (3 sts on needle) *K2, sl 1 kwise, pick up and knit 1 st from selvedge edge, psso; without turning, slide sts to the other end of the needle; rep from *.

Left edge: (3 sts on needle) *Pick up and knit 1 st from selvedge edge, pass first st on left needle over picked-up st, k2, without turning, slide sts to other end of needle; rep from *."

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Nov 19, 2010 10:17 AM

a2965z-craft:
I have a pattern that includes these instructions for an attached I-cord but I don't understand how to do the 'Left Edge' part.

Hi a2965z-craft,

Please see the video link sites that I posted as above.   There is one there that I refer to as the bind-off i-cord.  I believe this is the one you want.  You can check out the other sites too if you want but those ones are more for making an i-cord, not a bind-off or attached i-cord.  I will try to find you more videos to clarify this. (For myself, I like the video and written instruction for doing something new in knitting, and there is always something new going on!)    http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips    I don't know if this helps you out or not

Happy i-cording!  Zoe Smile

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
a2965z-craft wrote
on Nov 19, 2010 1:59 PM

a2965z-craft:
 I don't understand how to do the 'Left Edge' part.

Thanks for your response.  I did look at all of those and many others before posting my question because they don't address my problem. I'm working on Anne Merrow's Sow's Ear Silk Purse.  The instructions say to do an attached i-cord from the CO edge of the work to the BO on both selvedge edges of the piece. Doing the attached I-cord for the first edge works with the right side facing and goes from right to left from CO to BO. When I turn the work to the other edge I need to attach the cord from left to right in order to go from the CO to BO with the right side facing. It looks like the instructions take this into account I just can't figure out exactly how to do it. I have three stitches on my left needle. It says to pick up and knit a stitch from the selvedge edge. That gives me a fourth stitch which is on my right needle. The instructions then say to pass the first stitch on the left needle over the picked up stitch then knit the next two stitches. I just can't figure out how to pass the stitch on the left needle over the stitch on the right needle. I suppose I could slip the picked up stitch to the left, pass the first stitch over it and slip it back to the right I just want to be sure I'm doing it right. None of the instructions or videos I found show how to do an attached i-cord from left to right. I thought of a couple of other ways to accomplish the second I-cord, going from BO to CO but I'm not sure how that will work with the rest of the instructions or I could do the second edge from the CO edge to BO on the wrong side of the work but again, I'm not sure if  an attached i-cord looks the same when it's attached from the wrong side. 

Thanks for your help,

a2965z-craft

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Nov 19, 2010 2:16 PM

a2965z-craft:
I have three stitches on my left needle. It says to pick up and knit a stitch from the selvedge edge. That gives me a fourth stitch which is on my right needle. The instructions then say to pass the first stitch on the left needle over the picked up stitch then knit the next two stitches. I just can't figure out how to pass the stitch on the left needle over the stitch on the right needle.

Hi a2965z-craft,

Here goes with me trying to figure this out too, so please be patient.

1.  Three stitches on the left needle.

2.  Pick up a stitch from the selvedge and knit it.  Three stitches on the left needle, one stitch on the right needle.  Four stitches total.

3.   Pass the first stitch on the left needle over the stitch on the right needle.  Three stitches total.

My understanding of what you are asking is "how do I pass this stitch off the left needle and loop it over the stitch on the right needle?"   

Answer:  after knitting the picked up stitch and it being on the right needle, simply insert the left needle through this stitch and take it back onto the left needle.  Using the tip of the right needle, then pass the "first" stitch on the left needle over the "right stitch".   Three stitches remain.

Hope this makes sense,  Zoe Smile

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
a2965z-craft wrote
on Nov 19, 2010 2:36 PM

Zoe:
Three stitches remain.

Yeah, it says to knit the next two stitches then slide all stitches to the other end of the needle. In order for this to work I guess I slip the picked up stitch back to the right then knit the last two stitches, slide them all to the other end and start again. I guess that would make the i-cord go from left to right.

Again, thanks,

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 4, 2010 6:50 PM

Hi a2965z-craft

I guess you have done your I-cord by now, but in case you need help or would just like a good instruction with visual I thought I would share this which I just came across a few moments ago.  http://www.creativeknittingmagazine.com/newsletters.php in the newsletter for Dec. 3,2010 - Vol. 7, No.17.  I explains how to do a plain I-Cord, and 2 methods on how to pick up stitches and attach and to do a buttonhole. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
a2965z-craft wrote
on Dec 5, 2010 10:23 AM

ZassZ:
I guess you have done your I-cord by now, but in case you need help or would just like a good instruction with visual I thought I would share this which I just came across a few moments ago.  http://www.creativeknittingmagazine.com/newsletters.php in the newsletter for Dec. 3,2010 - Vol. 7, No.17.  I explains how to do a plain I-Cord, and 2 methods on how to pick up stitches and attach and to do a buttonhole. 

Thanks for your reply. I have gone ahead with attempting to follow the original instructions. The instructions at this link along with everything else I've been able to find so far are for applying the i-cord from right to left. Imagine you are looking at the right side of your project. These instructions apply the i-cord from the right edge to the left edge. My project works that way on one side but mirrors it on the other side. So now imagine you are looking at your project on the right side and you need to apply the i-cord from left to right on the second side. The part of the original instructions that didn't make sense to me was that it said to pick up and knit a stitch from the selvedge edge then slip the first stitch of the three cast on stitches over the picked up stitch and knit the last two stitches. My conundrum was, how do you pass a stitch on the left needle over a stitch on the right needle. The conclusion I came to was to pick up and knit the pick up stitch, slip it to the left needle, pass the first stitch over the picked up stitch then slip the picked up stitch back to the right needle and knit the last two stitches. I'm a pretty literal person and still learning, so when there were no instructions for slipping the picked up stitch to the left then back to the right again I was wondering if there was some technique for following the instructions without having to add these steps. I am finding this process kind of difficult but that's probably more because I'm using very small needles with very fine yarn rather than because there's a better way to do it. Having said all of that, if there is a better way I'd be happy to know about it. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 2:42 PM

Hi again, 

I like this one.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJAzaa5bqZQ&NR=1   Thiis one seems like it might be addressing your ? re how to get the part where you asked

a2965z-craft:

The part of the original instructions that didn't make sense to me was that it said to pick up and knit a stitch from the selvedge edge then slip the first stitch of the three cast on stitches over the picked up stitch and knit the last two stitches. My conundrum was, how do you pass a stitch on the left needle over a stitch on the right needle. The conclusion I came to was to pick up and knit the pick up stitch, slip it to the left needle, pass the first stitch over the picked up stitch then slip the picked up stitch back to the right needle and knit the last two stitches.

By picking up stitches along the edge now on the left needle.  Set left needle down.  Pick up your right needle and cast on  2 stitches on your right needle.  Slip both those stitches onto your left needle.  Starting with those 2 I-cord stittches, you will knit one of them and then knit the NEXT 2 stitches (on left needle) together.  2 stitches are now on right needle.  Put those 2 stitches back on left needle.  Again, knit 1 stitch, then next 2 stitches are knit together.  2 stitches are now on right needle again.  Put both stitches back onto left needle.  This is what starts to attach your I-cord to your main fabric edge.  Keep repeating these same steps down the row edge.  Looking at the video helps to clarify. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
a2965z-craft wrote
on Dec 7, 2010 7:58 PM

I appreciate everyone's attention to my question but I really must not be doing a very good job explaining my issue. Everything I've been able to find and every response I've gotten has addressed attaching the I-cord from right to left. I need to attach the i-cord from left to right.

Thanks,

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 8, 2010 9:58 PM

Hi again,

the only thing I can think of is to flip it around and start it as if it were from right to left.  By flipping it you are actually working from the left to right.  You are just turning it around.  Would that work? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 16, 2010 7:01 PM

Hi, 

Just wondering if you did finish your I-cord? 

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS