blocking a Poncho

This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 6
JaneanE wrote
on Dec 2, 2010 11:57 AM

I knitted a Poncho that is one piece, no seams.  I am about to give it a good wash and block it, however, I am not sure how to go about that since it won't lay completely open, and laying it flat would mean having a double thickness.  It is Icelandic Wool that I spun, so it does need to be at least gently washed before it is given as a gift.

Thanks

Janean

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 122
Kelleigh wrote
on Dec 2, 2010 5:45 PM

Hi Janean,

This is going to sound crazy but.... if you need to maintain the "roundness" while it's drying, what about drying it on a picnic umbrella?  You know, the ones we use on the patio in the summer...would that work?

If you try this, let me know how it worked?

Take care,

KELLEIGH~~

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Dec 2, 2010 5:54 PM

JaneanE:
I knitted a Poncho that is one piece, no seams.  I am about to give it a good wash and block it, however, I am not sure how to go about that since it won't lay completely open, and laying it flat would mean having a double thickness.

Hi JaneanE,

My only thought to dry/block this garment after washing it, its to purchase the largest blowup beach ball that you can.  Blow it up and use it to drape the poncho around it.  You could set the beach ball in a large serving bowl so it wouldn't roll around.  And hopefully you don't have any mischieveous pets that want to play with the ball!

Good luck with this and let us all know what you did end up doing for this!  Zoe Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,804
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 2, 2010 6:49 PM

Hi All,

I think these are both great ideas!  Wink

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Dec 2, 2010 6:51 PM

Hi ZassZ,

Have you ever needed something "round" to shape and block onto?

Much snow out here -- come and get cause we got lots and lots more is coming!

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS