Inside Intarsia with Anne Berk - Knitting in the Round

This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
LaurenMS wrote
on Dec 10, 2010 9:14 PM

Hi,

Has anybody who is new to Intarsia successfully used Anne Berk's method of knitting Intarsia in the Round?

I followed her video and understood it well enough, but I am confused about how you follow a chart while using her intarsia in the round method.  She showed us how to knit in the round, but she did not follow a chart.  I tried her coffee sleeve pattern and got very confused when turning in the middle of a round while following the chart.  Unfortunately, she didn't show us how to use a chart while doing Intarsia in the round, so I have had to give up.  Has anyone had success and can share some tips?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
larkanne wrote
on Jan 22, 2011 11:55 PM

Hi, this is Anne.  You use the chart just as you always do, working flat.  When working with my method, it is "in the round" only because the finished item is circular and seamless - but you still work the RS rows, turn and then work the WS rows.  So, to read the chart, the RS rows read from right to left, and then the WS rows work from left to right.  Depending on your chart, you may not always make it to the end of the row, because you turn the work when you hit a place where the new color isn't where you need it - this is likely what confused you.  After you turn the work, look at where you are on the chart, and work in the opposite direction from that spot.

After you work a few rows (rounds!), it should feel like second nature.

Have fun!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
boopie05 wrote
on Apr 28, 2011 9:32 AM

If I understand you correctly this method isn't knitting in the round.  It is straight knitting on circular needles, right?  

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Apr 28, 2011 5:38 PM

Hi Boopie05,

No dear, you ARE working in ROUNDS.

The problem with LaurenMS was that she turned her work and she shouldn't. She has to keep working as the chart shows in rounds and when a new colour appears you change dropping the old colour to the new one making sure you "wrap" it so you won't have gaps on your knitting.

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
boopie05 wrote
on Apr 28, 2011 5:54 PM

Got it!  Thanks.... 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Apr 28, 2011 8:16 PM

Hi LaurenMS,

The easiest way for me to follow a chart working in the round is to place a marker at the beginning of the first row. That way you can notice when you finish each row.

The chart unfortunatelly is flat, there you can see rows for the Right Side and rows for the Wrong Side. Let's imagine the chart is a pipe. You can photocopy it and tape it matching the first row with the second row as working in rounds mean you are knitting in spiral. So you are always facing the Right Side. This is one way to simplify your confusion.

Or, as there is a marker at the beginning of the row and, with the help of a row counter (only if you want, it is not a must) every time you are in the odd rows: you have to read your pattern from right to left and every time you are in a even row: you have to read your pattern from left to right.

I hope this can help you.

Bye, bye.

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Apr 29, 2011 6:55 PM

Hi Boopie05,

I didn't realize your post was the one I just had to answer. LaurenMS posted on Dec. 10th., 2010 and yours was yesterday.

I hope it helps you. I don't know if it made sense to you.

Bye, bye.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
SheilaL64 wrote
on Oct 7, 2012 5:37 AM

Anne, i too have been working this pinwheel hat for over a month and to no avail.

the pattern states TURN

then it states DO NOT TURN

the 1st 2 rnds on dpn's  are in the round, after that it is work rs, work ws.

so if this is supposed to be a seamless (in the round) pattern, how is that accomplished, when the pattern is worked flat on some areas, and in the round in others ?

if working in the round you get super long strands of the light green running around the back of each section, as well as the other colors.

if worked flat you get only one section at a time, thus having to loads of sewing in the end to close each section.

now i purchased the book just for this hat of yours, and being an avid knitter since 1994, this makes absolutely no sense.

please explain to me how a seamless pinwheel hat is formed out of flat knitting.

thank you

Not Ranked
Posts 1
JudyH@22 wrote
on Nov 13, 2012 11:50 AM

My 'seam line' moves.

After the knit round and I SSK, or after the purl round, P2tog...and I turn, the stitch I just made is on the left needle.  The yarn coming from the left needle.  Should I move that particular stitch to the right needle?  Will that make my  'seam line' stay in one place?

Thanx,

Judy

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS