Spoked Hat in Winter 2010

This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
knitstamatic wrote
on Dec 14, 2010 7:14 AM

I love this hat and really want to make it but I can't seem to find the yarn "Pagewood Farm Denali 4".  I went to Pagewood Farm's site and found a sock yarn called Denali, not Denali 4. Not sure if this is actually the same because it gauge is 7-8 sts/in on US 1-3.  The pattern is 6.5 sts/in on US 6 in twisted rib pattern.  I went thru their list of retailers but couldn't find the yarn.  I'm okay with substituting but I need to know if I'm looking at the correct yarn before I do so.  Are Denali and Denali 4 the same?  If not it would be helpful for me to know the manufacturer's gauge on Denali 4 or at least a comparable substitute.  Thanks much!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Dec 14, 2010 12:42 PM

knitstamatic:
Pagewood Farm's site and found a sock yarn called Denali, not Denali 4.

Hi Knitstamatic,

I searched various Pagewood sites too and came up with this discription:  Denali is an 80/20 blend of superwash merino/nylon.  Denali 4 is a DK version of 4 ply fingering weight yarn.  

I would assume by this that the Denali 4 is the 4 ply fingering weight yarn of the same composition as the Denali yarn since the name is the same. The Denali would be a heavier yarn weight.

There are so many sites to go to that it can take a long time to find answers.  Maybe someone else has more confirmation of these yarns?

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 3
knitstamatic wrote
on Dec 15, 2010 9:20 AM

Hi Zoe,

Thanks so much for your help.  I stopped by my LYS late yesterday and she explained that Denali 4 is actually a new yarn and is, as you said, a DK weight.  Turns out she's ordered some for next year so I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it as soon as it's available. Big Smile

Thanks again for your reply.

Have a great day!
 -Knitstamatic

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Dec 15, 2010 10:13 AM

Hi Knitstamatic,

Yes, I see that I forgot to include the fact that it is a new yarn.  I guess a lot of people like the Denali but wanted a lighter weight to knit up socks, gloves, and other items requiring a lighter weight yarn.  I am so glad that your LYS is getting it in.  Please do post back as to what this feels like and how it knits up when it becomes available for you.

I guess then, a comparable yarn substitute would be any merino (superwash, non-itchy wool) and acrylic blend yarn in a DK.  Knitters are ever in a quest to find that perfect yarn!!  This is so interesting.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 3
CarolK@50 wrote
on Feb 7, 2011 6:36 PM

I so want to make this hat. The three sizes differ by 16 stitches for the cast on. So I will use worsted weight yarn, and drop down from the 100 stitch cast on to an 84-stitch cast on. The hats I usually make are 76 stitches around on size 8 needles. So this will fit me alright, considering the ribbing will pull it in a bit.

The first round will be fiddly with all the bobbles, but after that it will be easy enough. The decreases should work OK with 84 stitches. The trick with the I-cord is new to me. I want to see how that works. I just need to finish before the cold weather ends!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS