T-shirt Yarn

This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 2
SusanMarcus wrote
on Dec 14, 2010 11:51 AM

I was wondering if anyone has been knitting with Tshirt yarn?

I would love to find some patterns that are appropriate as well as get any tips people have regardig making the yarn.

I know how to make it the yarn when a Tshirt doesn't have a seam... and I've sort of found a way to do it with a seam but not completely happy on how it turns out....

Also... it's been a bit of a best guess when I'm doing a pattern as to whether I'll have enough yarn.

Any help would be appreciated.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Dec 14, 2010 12:47 PM

Hi SusanMarcus,

http://mousechirpy-polkadotpineapple.blogspot.com/2008/03/tutorial-t-shirt-yarn.html   This site deals with how tos for t-shirt yarn.  I hope this helps.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 4
kathyflament wrote
on Mar 20, 2011 10:35 AM

Hello!

I found the tutorial very useful for making t-shirt yarn, but I would also like to know where to find more patterns.  I've checked Ravelry for patterns with super bulky yarn, and some seem perfect.  I just don't know how to estimate the yardage from each t-shirt I convert.  I've been guessing about 75 yards.

So..any more patterns?   And what has every one been making and how much yarn does a project take?

Thanks

Kathy

Not Ranked
Posts 2
SusanMarcus wrote
on Mar 31, 2011 9:26 AM

Kathy this is the problem I have with judging how much I need and what needles I need to use.

I've been doing it by trial and error.

Lately I've been making a few ideas. Tea cosys, Ereader and Itouch holders.

I tried making a child's dress but I found that it felt very heavy and didn't think it would work.

Here's a link to some of the things I've been making.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=807180042&aid=571097

Also... I've been using tshirt sheets (I find them at thrift stores for about $5) you get more material and you can do a bigger project all in one colour.

I'd be happy to share ideas with you if you want to forward me your email.

Thanks

Not Ranked
Posts 8
babyal wrote
on Mar 31, 2011 10:17 AM

The Spring Knit Simple has a patter for a bag with T-shirt yarn by Be Sweet. I would like to try it, but I want to use regular spun yarn. Does anyone think a bulky or super bulky would work?

Not Ranked
Posts 4
kathyflament wrote
on Apr 1, 2011 10:49 AM

Hey Lawyergirl78!

Thanks for your reply and link to your facebook page.  As I don't want to post my email address, here, why not friend me on facebook?

For myself, I've make a cross between scarf and shawl.  I mean to use it in the summer to jazz up little dresses and T-shirts when I go out.  I'm thinking of it more as a sweater, I guess, without sleeves.

I'll take a pic and post it on facebook.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
kathyflament wrote
on Apr 1, 2011 10:50 AM

Hello babyal!

I think superbulky would be the closest.  I'd suggest checking the gauge.  I found my T-shirt "yarn" averaged about 10 stitches for 4" on size 11 or 13 needles.

Hope this helps

Kathy

Not Ranked
Posts 4
kathyflament wrote
on Apr 2, 2011 1:44 PM

Hello Lawyergirl 78:

I'm glad teenagers are interested in knitting

I don't think you should put your age on the internet.

Talk to your parents about this

Kathy

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS