Sock Yarns Veragated

This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 6
catherine47 wrote
on Dec 24, 2010 9:27 AM

I need some advice please.  I love knitting socks with verigated yarns but I get fustrated with one problem and thatis to make two socks that look alike.  I usually try to work with yarn where I can get a set of socks out of.  So any solutions to this?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Dec 24, 2010 9:56 AM

catherine47:
I love knitting socks with verigated yarns but I get fustrated with one problem and thatis to make two socks that look alike.  I usually try to work with yarn where I can get a set of socks out of.  So any solutions to this?

Hi Catherine,

What you need to do is buy two smaller balls of verigated yarn in the same dye lot where one ball makes one sock.  (If it makes two socks, then you will make two pairs of socks and you will shortly see why).  Pull the yarn out from the centre of one ball and lay it out about 2-3ft on your kitchen table.  Next, pull out the yarn from the second ball of yarn.  Keep pulling it out and lining it up with the other ball of yarn's pulled out length.  You may need to pull out more or less than that of the first ball of yarn in order to get the varigations to line up.

Here is where it can get tricky.  Make your cast on loop at the exact same places on each ball.  You can then proceed to knit up the first sock and then the second sock (because you have already made your cast on loops at the same place on the varigation).  What you will end up with is two identical socks but they will not be "mirrors" of each other.  They will be two "left" or two "right" socks.  My Mom makes a "pair" of verigated yarn socks in this manner. 

For the second pair of socks, you will start them in the same manner.

Hope this helps you out, and happy knitting, Zoe Smile

PS  Socks are my favorites to knit.  I started knitting socks when I was 10 yrs old.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
catherine47 wrote
on Dec 24, 2010 10:24 AM

Thank you Zoe for your help.  Looks like I just use up the  yarn I have now and then when I go to buy I will make sure to get two balls.  What  you said makes the only sense I can see to this.  Maybe I should go back to making socks with solid colors but its not as much fun.  I have just recently taught myself to knit socks.  Tell ya at first I  felt like i had two left hands.  If it wasn't for all the knitting on the net I'd given up long ago.  When i was 10 I was crocheting.  No one around knew how to knit other than casting on and P & K making nothing out of it but squares.  Its a great sleeping pill also.  But Socks I like you enjoy the challenge.  I have tried to learn Toes up method but got fustrated for now.  I hav e used that streach  yarn..do NOT like it at all. 

Again thanks for your help.Big Smile

Happy Holidays

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Dec 24, 2010 12:44 PM

catherine47:
Looks like I just use up the  yarn I have now and then when I go to buy I will make sure to get two balls.

Hi Catherine,

What you can do with this yarn to make it look as if the socks really are a pair, is make the heels and toes from a complimentary solid color.  When you knit down to where you will start the heel flap, knit on the new solid color and turn the heel with the solid color.  When you go to decrease for the toes, change yarns to the solid color.  No one but you will notice the varigation colors don't line up.  You can also do the ribbing in the solid color and switch to the varigated when the ribbing is done.

I started learning socks from the top down and now that is basically what I do all the time.  I did try toe up socks but ended up making the socks into a pair of insoles.  The heel makes no sense to me at all to do it that way.  I never tried again.  I am content to knit my socks from the top down on my double pointed needles.

I learned how to crochet a year or two after the knitting got started.  And a few years after that, I started sewing.  I knit the continental style but do know how to do both that way and the English style.  I use both when knitting fair isle, carrying the main color in my left hand and the contrasting color in my right hand.

What kind of yarn do you like to use?  My Mom uses any wool for socks and things.  I have such an allergy to wool that I can't even use the superwash kind.  I haven't tried merino yarn which is supposed to be very hypoallergenic.  I like the Bernats acrylic yarns.  They knit well and keep their shape too.

Merry Christmas to you and your household, Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 6
catherine47 wrote
on Dec 24, 2010 1:09 PM

now thats a great idea never thought of that.  Will use up this yarn.  The sock yarn I been using is by Socka and I think its Regina also.  But I have another brand Iam going to try its through http://www.premieryarns.com  I go by feel of the yarn as to what I use.  Wool well it and I don't get along so I try not to get pure wool and if any wool as little as possible.  But the sock yarn by Premier has bamboo in it and its soft.  I have used their products before very good results.  Would like to find cotton yarn for socks but that is very hard to find.  Found it once and the company went out of bussiness and I seemed to have lost the labes. 

I been sewing since gosh for ever it seems.  I don't have little people anymore especially girls but my sister has granddaughters and I make them dresses and extras to send for kids in need.   I learned to sew with my Betsy McCall doll a million years ago. 

You have been of great help.  Must go finish up the gift for my grandson he is coming over Christmas day.  Must start these project much earlier next year. Time gets away so fast or I am just slowing down. Wink

Thanks again..

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS