THE OFFICIAL SEAWEED CARDIGAN KNIT-ALONG POST!

This post has 983 Replies | 43 Followers rated by 16 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jan 7, 2011 8:31 PM

dpadgett:
I'm getting nervous and excited! This will be fun!

Hi dpadgett,

No nerves!!! and never lose your excitement about a project.  And yes, it will be fun!

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 483
bessT wrote
on Jan 7, 2011 10:37 PM

Hey alpacagirl

KALs are fun. I've done a few, not doing this one because I have just started on a cool pattern from Nashuaknits, linked from KnittingDaily the other day ;)  I voted for the Heritage sweater, I liked the Fair-Isle type look, on its side.

When I looked at the Seaweed cardigan picture, the model appears to be tall and slim. I am a pear-shaped rumball.  "Cardigan shown measures 40 1/2 inches, modeled with a few inches positive ease." (is there such a thing as negative ease, then?). I'm not sure, looking at the picture, where the ease is, what with the gap at the front and all. Would the sweater appear as attractive if the model was wearing it without the belt? Would it hang awkwardly?

If you are happy with the simple T-shape, and the overall measurements given in the pattern diagram (which I can't see, except for the bust measurement in the promo), one hopes allowing for overlap of the fronts, a shawl pin near the neckline could hold the sweater fronts closed.

bess

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 483
bessT wrote
on Jan 7, 2011 10:44 PM

alpacagirl:

I'm a "traditionally built" woman, as anyone who reads the #1 Lady's Detective Novels will recognize. It looks like this cardigon would only focus attention to my stomach (more substantial than I would prefer).  Any comments or suggestions on how I could change the pattern so it wouldn't gap so much in the middle?

Although I am an inveterate knitter, I haven't done too many sweaters for myself--and this would be my first KAL!

Thanks . . .

oops sorry I forgot to hit 'quote' when I replied to you, alpacagirl! I should have had some bush tea before getting settled at the keyboard. If you can find out the finished measurements of the entire garment, that should help you decide if it will fit you comfortably. I am guessing because it is T-shaped and sized for the bust measurement, the hips and waist will be that same measurement. If you need more room in the middle, it looks like the wide rib bands could be built gently outward with some long 'short-rows.'

bess

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 483
bessT wrote
on Jan 7, 2011 10:47 PM

...and here I am again - I can't get the edit or delete option to work for me in the reply window, can't correct a post once it is sent. waah.

I'll go now!

bess

Not Ranked
Posts 1
kabita89 wrote
on Jan 7, 2011 11:53 PM

Hello, this is my first knit a long and I'm excited. I've been knitting for awhile and want to move on from scraves and blankets.  This will help push me out of my comfort zone.  I'm going to use Classic Elite Allegoro in Best Berry.  I think I have this issue with this pattern just have to find it. Happy knitting to everyone.Smile

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
thorhammer wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 3:00 AM

Hi, all :) My name's Kat and this will be my first KAL, too. I'm a very very slow knitter so the timeline has me hyperventilating - I doubt I'll finish in time, but I want to jump in with you all regardless. I only just found out that this sweater (we'd call it a cardi here in Australia :) ) was voted in, so I have yet to pick a yarn! I might have to go for a yarn shopping venture tomorrow, perhaps. Things take so long to get here that mail order would lose me weeks of knitting time. I do like the idea of doing this in a lovely linen blend or something - I wish I had enough handspun in my stash to do it though!

Wish me luck, all, as I think I'm going to need it!

\m/ Kat

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Marlex wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 5:25 AM

Hi All,

This is my first knit along.  I am going to try to get gauge with Sidar Snuggly dk. color Choo Choo Train.  Can you tell this yarn was originally intended for a baby item?  I do love the color so.........

Marilyn

Not Ranked
Posts 2
supenau wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 5:38 AM

OK I am jumping in. Let's see if I can keep up!! I am going to use some Classic Elite Provence in turquoise that I have been holding on to for a while.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
on Jan 8, 2011 6:47 AM

Very excited about the choice...I voted for another but this was a close second...Already went to my yarn shop Knitting Pointers and had Linda pull out all yarn that would work...Drove her nuts yesterday....I chose elsebeth lavold  Silky Wool in a vibrant turquoise...Already started the back....I plan on keeping up this time and finishing when I should !!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Jackie Mae wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 7:40 AM

I'm in...ordered the magazine with pattern. First time participating in a KAL.  I feel encouraged knowing you all are there to give advice and help. 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
BarbaraB@15 wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 8:53 AM

Count me in.  I found my copy of the Spring 2010 Knitting Daily.  I will have to check through my stash and see if I have something I can use.  If not, off to the yarn shop I go.

Looking forward to my first KAL.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
on Jan 8, 2011 8:54 AM

I planned on next size so closes...I won't use a belt either....Plan on embellishing ribbing somehow but don't know what yet...Will think about it.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 160
Beehiveof8 wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 10:20 AM

Woot!  I was crossing my fingers hoping that this would be the winner.  So... where is everyone getting their yarn?  I need some good ideas.  I've already got  more projects lined up this year than one person should have but I am definitely in on this one, though I may lag behind.  I LOVED doing the minimalist cardi KAL, and found it very helpful, so all you that haven't joined in before... jump in!  No worries, you'll love it.  And if you can't keep to the schedule, don't worry about that either.  I think I was a couple months behind at least on the Mini Cardi KAL.    Off to think about yarn.... 

~Lisa

Not Ranked
Posts 2
martib8 wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 10:41 AM

I love this cardigan! Smile I have two things I want to do to make the design a little more flattering for a plus size girl like me:Idea 1. Add some type of closure to the cardigan, I am thinking Chinese frogs and 2. Since I live in Michigan (very cold!), I am thinking I may want to make long sleeves, or perhaps 3/4 length sleeves so I can get a little more wear out of the sweater.  Suggestions? Comments?  Thanks, Marti

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 483
bessT wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 10:55 AM

Marti, You could wear it layered over a long sleeve turtleneck. It looks like the sleeves are just straight across part of the T shape, if you want longer sleeves you would add more lace repeats to the width.

bess

Page 2 of 66 (984 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS