THE OFFICIAL SEAWEED CARDIGAN KNIT-ALONG POST!

This post has 983 Replies | 43 Followers rated by 16 users
Not Ranked
Posts 7
alpacagirl wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 11:19 AM

Hello KAL group,

I took a look at Ravelry, too! What I'm trying to figure out (besides looking high and low for my Spring 2010 issue  Confused)  is the difference between DK and worsted . . . looking at yardage comparisons, I'm guessing that DK is "thinner"/lighter than Worsted--can't find a good place on the web that really describes the difference between all the different terms (sport, DK, worsted, etc.).

And maybe if I sit back with a cup of bush tea (ha ha, bess--you must be a fan of Mma Ramotsie, too) I'll find my Interweave Issue--I think I'll need to look at it to see if I can add a rib band without messing up the entire sweater.

If I can't use an alpaca/silk blend, I'm considering going with a cotton/silk blend--probably will do a shade of lavender/lilac since this is going to be for me!

Back to the hunt!   Judy

Not Ranked
Posts 7
alpacagirl wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 11:34 AM

I'm with you  in wanting to make the design a little more flattering--looks like we'll get some good ideas here! I'm getting more excited about taking part, thinking I'm going to learn a great deal just from reading replies, etc.

I'm finishing up a sweater I started, for myself, two years ago, before some big changes in my life--at that time, with less knitting experience, I chose to go up a size knitting it. I'm at the stage where I'm starting to put it together and will find out if that strategy worked, or if the sweater will hang on me like a bag! I want to finish that sweater first before I decide how to alter this pattern. Maybe the T shape will make it simpler. The sweater I'm finishing is from the book Classic Knits for Real Women.

Cheers to you all - - will also have to try to figure out how, for instance, Zoe responds to a single person with a quote!  (thanks Zoe!)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 485
bessT wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 12:23 PM

alpacagirl:

I'm with you  in wanting to make the design a little more flattering....Maybe the T shape will make it simpler. The sweater I'm finishing is from the book Classic Knits for Real Women....

Cheers to you all - - will also have to try to figure out how, for instance, Zoe responds to a single person with a quote!  (thanks Zoe!)

Hey alpacagirl, hit the reply button (the one at the top of the message, not the one 'quick reply'), and notice the word 'Quote' highlighted in blue below the respective message. The message will appear in your reply window within the html codes [quote user=....   -end-bracket...  You can delete some of it to isolate what you want to reply to.

There are all kinds of message tools here, I am disappointed that the edit and delete buttons don't work for me :(

hi to Zoe, too. I remember you from a previous KAL here ;)

bess

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 485
bessT wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 12:26 PM

...oh dang, should have read my message one more time before posting - can't edit it and should have written:

...and notice the word 'Quote' highlighted in blue below the respective message. Click the blue 'quote' word. The quoted message will appear in your reply window... and you can add your reply below it. You can delete some of the quotation but just make sure the html code, the stuff in brackets [ like this ] is at the beginning and end of the quotation.

(blah blah etc...), bess

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Jan 8, 2011 12:42 PM

I want to start the Seaweed KAL.   I missed the

spring  issue.  Can someone share with me the pattern, is that possible?  thanks. Lourdes

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 485
bessT wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 12:51 PM

Lourdes Garcia:

I want to start the Seaweed KAL.   I missed the

spring  issue.  Can someone share with me the pattern, is that possible?  thanks. Lourdes

There is a link to buy the pattern here: http://shop.knittingdaily.com/Knitting/Patterns/Seaweed-Cardigan.html?a=ke110107

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 1:39 PM

alpacagirl:
I'm guessing that DK is "thinner"/lighter than Worsted--can't find a good place on the web that really describes the difference between all the different terms (sport, DK, worsted, etc.).

Hi alpacagirl  (Judy),

You are partly right about the differences between DK and worsted.  The DK (double knit) is the same as a light worsted weight -- they are both #3 weights.  The worsted weight is a #4 weight.  Here is a good link to finding out about different wool and yarn stuff.  Bookmark the site into your favorites as it gives lots of other informations too!   Go exploring through the yarn council.

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/weight.html 

About just doing the relevant quote parts:   click reply, highlight with your mouse the words/sentence you want to talk about, click on quote.  It can be tricky to do, just practice.  And don't worry about the edit button not working as it only works about half the time and that is the same with everyone's computer.

Happy knitting, and yarn exploring!! Zoe Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 1:43 PM

bessT:

hi to Zoe, too. I remember you from a previous KAL here ;)

Hi BessT,

How have you been doing?? did you have an enjoyable and safe holidays?   Welcome to the New Year of 2011!!!!   May you knit up a storm instead of bad weather coming from the skies! heha  Storm

What color and yarn are you thinking of doing this in??  I have to search my back issues of magazines that I have bought to see if this pattern is in one that I have.  Then I can follow along with all of you.  I have too much right now on my plate to undertake this project too.  Although the cardigan is beautiful.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 1:45 PM

Lourdes Garcia:

I missed the

spring  issue.  Can someone share with me the pattern, is that possible?

Hi to Any Knitter who wants this pattern,

If you haven't got the magazine, then go to the first post by Kathleen Cubley on the Seaweed Cardigan.  She gives the information there and gives the time schedule for knitting progress.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 178
JeanieH@6 wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 2:00 PM

This is my first KAL online as well - hope I can do the lace stitch!  Really looking forward to it! Jeanie

Not Ranked
Posts 1
carylb1949 wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 2:14 PM

I am also a "traditionally built" woman and also plan to knit this sweater for myself.  In order to adjust the fit, I will be using tips from "Big Girl Knits"  by Jillian Moreno and Amy R. Singer  in order to increase fullness and fit.  I think the vertical stripe of this pattern will make this difficult, but perhaps the increases can be hidden in the underarm area of the front pieces.

Once those problems are solved, I think that we can adjust the sweater to be more flattering by altering where the closure (belt in this view) is placed.  According to the "What not to wear" folks, if we make the closure just under the bust line instead of at the true waist, the fit should emphasize the smaller part and distract from the fuller area down below!  I am also going to try using a "frog" type closure or a sparkly brooch type closure to attract attention upward. 

Maybe we can share our experiences as we proceed!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 34
lisafass wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 4:04 PM

My first KAL and sweater! , just ordered Mirasol Tupa in Viridian. I am short so any suggestions as to how

to adjust length (just knit less?) -

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 34
lisafass wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 4:06 PM

Also, could someone tell me why the length goes down as the bust cirumf. goes up?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 4:20 PM

lisafass:

I am short so any suggestions as to how

to adjust length (just knit less?) -

Hi lisafass,

Yes, you adjust the length by knitting less or more.  If you want the length shorter, you start the sleeves sooner than the pattern indicates.  If you want the length longer, you knit more before starting the sleeves.

Hope this helps you.  What you have to do is also mark on your pattern where you started the sleeves (to know how many rows you didn't knit, and remember how many rows you did knit.) in order to make the back and the fronts the same length. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 4:25 PM

lisafass:
could someone tell me why the length goes down as the bust cirumf. goes up?

Hi lisafass,

It is for people who are built like me!!  If there wasn't any more length added, then when the cardigan was finished, for people like me, we would look absolutely square. Embarrassed   It is to add the appearance of height to us larger sized hug people!!   It is the same with any blouse or t-shirt you buy at the store.  The principle is the same.  The bigger around one is, the longer the blouse needs to be.

Page 3 of 66 (984 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS