THE OFFICIAL SEAWEED CARDIGAN KNIT-ALONG POST!

This post has 983 Replies | 43 Followers rated by 16 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 4:35 PM

carylb1949:
I think the vertical stripe of this pattern will make this difficult,

Hi carylb1949,

I think that perhaps if the center edges were perhaps made one inch wider (only 6 stitches on each edge??) then that would of course be the most logical without having to adjust much of the pattern.  If you check out the gals on Ravelry, there are some ideas as to how to close the front.  Also the front can be just left open without any belt.  Belts tend to draw attention to the spacious build some of us gals are.  This belt the model is wearing certainly does that but then she is small and can get away with it.  Also if the belt was a knitted belt of the same yarn as the cardigan, that would minimize the appearance.  What do you think??

Personally, if I were to make the closure just under the bust (as the What not to wear tv program suggests) then I would definitely look like I am 10 months pregnant!!! This is not a good look for someone who is going to be 50 yrs old.

I agree about sharing our experiences as we go along.  And maybe even make the pattern adjustments before starting to knit.  If anyone has any thoughts as to altering the pattern in anyway, I would suggest you want to buy extra balls of yarn.  It would be terrible to run out of yarn when you are nearly done the cardigan. 

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
SandraC@2 wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 4:37 PM

I'm in!  I've never participated in a KAL - this will be my first.  I'm hoping to keep up with the timeline so I don't end up with a UFO!

I am using Elsebeth Lavold's  Hempathy in a light jade green, color #8, on a size 4 needle to get the correct gauge.  The lace pattern knits up nicely and is easy to remember.  Here we go!

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Marlex wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 4:41 PM

The total length stays the same, the sleeve and the knitting up to the sleeve change.  The total length remains at 26 1/2.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Marlex wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 4:43 PM

lisafass:

Also, could someone tell me why the length goes down as the bust cirumf. goes up?

Sorry, still trying to figure this out.  The actual length stays the same for all sizes, the sleeve and knitting up to the sleeve changes with size change.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 4:47 PM

Marlex:

lisafass:

Also, could someone tell me why the length goes down as the bust cirumf. goes up?

Sorry, still trying to figure this out.  The actual length stays the same for all sizes, the sleeve and knitting up to the sleeve changes with size change.

I guess that is the mystery of this pattern.  Most knitters adjust the length to suit them when making a sweater or cardigan.  Zoe Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 483
bessT wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 5:30 PM

Marlex:

lisafass:

Interesting, As long as the proportion is ok for the wearer?Before I would embark on knitting a plus size, I'd do a mockup to see what it will be like on the person.

If adjusting length to make it shorter, we could make one less lace repeat on the vertical, add one or more to make it longer. A few rows of the plain knitting at the bottom could be added/removed without losing too much of the appearance.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Fawn@3 wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 5:37 PM

I am fairly new to knitting. I would like to ask if JL Daisy Alpaca DK yarn which is

50% Acrylic, 35% Wool, and 15% Alpaca will work for this project. It is a

beautifully soft yarn and also my favorite color- purple.

fawn

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Jan 8, 2011 5:40 PM

Try wearing an under sweater in the same color (i.e. black with black red with red etc) .  This should help, however, don't make too much of it as none of us are perfect   Good luck.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
thorhammer wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 6:27 PM

I'm sorry to be directly replying to your post, Zoe, but I can't figure out how to just reply to the thread!

I was thinking about this pattern all night (yes, I'm quite stressed out about this KAL!!) considering making the fronts wider to make it more like a traditional cardi that I could wrap around me. But I've had another look and it wouldn't be as easy/effective as I thought, plus it wouldn't kill me to wear a different style of cardi! Also, if I don't like the way it fits, it will be fine for my mother who would probably like it quite a lot.

I'm going yarn shopping today, having had no luck chasing down yardage for the Sirdar Linen Look that I wanted to use for it, and the bamboo I've got probably won't quite make the distance so I should leave both for slightly smaller projects.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
LucyP@3 wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 7:17 PM

This is my first KAL. i chose a natural shade of Allegoro. I just placed my order.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 7:42 PM

Fawn@3:

I would like to ask if JL Daisy Alpaca DK yarn which is

50% Acrylic, 35% Wool, and 15% Alpaca will work for this project. It is a

beautifully soft yarn and also my favorite color- purple.

Hi Fawn,

What happens usually with new knitters is the confusion over which yarns to use.  At the beginning of the pattern instructions (this is the norm for all patterns) the yarn gauge and the weight of the yarn is given.  As long as you can match the weight of the yarn and change your needles to get the recommended gauge, you should be all set.  The purple will be a very nice color for this cardigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 7:50 PM

thorhammer:
sorry to be directly replying to your post, Zoe, but I can't figure out how to just reply to the thread!

Hi thorhammer,

Chuckles here because sometimes it takes a bit to get the hang of navigating in the forums.   If you want to just add any comments to the KAL and not necessarily address any previous comments, just click on reply in the last posting of the forum.  Type in what you would like to say and click on post.  If you have specific comments about something mentioned by someone in the postings, then go to where that subject was discussed and click on that reply.  Then highlight with the mouse what word/s you want to talk about and click on Quote.  Then just go ahead and type in your comments. 

thorhammer:
I'm quite stressed out about this KAL!!

No need to be stressed out about this KAL -- everyone here is available to help you out with any problem!  Some knitters are making the Cardigan a size larger than they need so that they can add some buttons, etc. to close up the front.  Have you gone over to Ravelry to see their discussions about it??  No doubt someone over there has adjusted the pattern.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
RobertaB wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 8:50 PM

Hi!  What a great project!   I'm wondering though, the pattern is an eproject....  what is the format?  I ask because I got a new "NOOK" ereader for christmas and if the project is in a PDF format, or some few others, I can load it (from my computer) in the NOOK and use that vs printing it out so I can be portable.

thanks in advance:

RB

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 483
bessT wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 9:24 PM

RobertaB:

Hi!  What a great project!   I'm wondering though, the pattern is an eproject....  what is the format?  I ask because I got a new "NOOK" ereader for christmas and if the project is in a PDF format, or some few others, I can load it (from my computer) in the NOOK and use that vs printing it out so I can be portable.

thanks in advance:

RB

Indeedy, Roberta, it is a PDF.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
BethB@17 wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 9:54 PM

Hi All - Just read through everyone's posts and I too am a little stressed, excited, etc as this is my first KAL also.  Just ordered the mag and will be picking out yarn in the morning.  Can't wait to get started!!!!  Beth   : )

Page 4 of 66 (984 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS