THE OFFICIAL SEAWEED CARDIGAN KNIT-ALONG POST!

This post has 983 Replies | 43 Followers rated by 16 users
Not Ranked
Posts 7
SJones2185 wrote
on Jan 8, 2011 10:10 PM

I have never participated in a KAL but thought this sweater would be nice for dress down days at work.  I haven't decided what yarn I will use yet but will be making it in black to wear over a 3/4 sleeve white top with black and white stripe pants. 

If this goes well, I think my niece would like it in a denim color for with jeans.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
thorhammer wrote
on Jan 9, 2011 1:05 AM

Thanks Zoe for your tech help :) Forums are fine - it's just that the software and codes change wherever you go so it takes a little getting used to :)

So I've managed to get enough yarn together for the cardi! I've decided on Cleckheaton Bamboo, of which I had six balls of a nice cool taupe colour. I found another four in my foray to the yarn shop which (what luck!) match perfectly, so we're away! I'm about to do my gauge swatch now, and then hopefully I can start!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
on Jan 9, 2011 7:28 AM

Love the yarn...Got my gauge first time...That sure helps...Have done the 2" 6x2 rib and have completed 16 row pattern...I have not done any lace work so my question may be dumb....When you have a yarn over after a knit stitch and before a purl you have to do differently and it leaves a much bigger hole.  Is that what is supposed to happen?????..I don't want to knit any more if I need to rip out a few rows...HELP !!!!!...Please !!!

Linda

Not Ranked
Posts 10
GEHB wrote
on Jan 9, 2011 7:51 AM

knitonedroptwo:
When you have a yarn over after a knit stitch and before a purl you have to do differently and it leaves a much bigger hole.  Is that what is supposed to happen?????..I don't want to knit any more if I need to rip out a few rows...HELP !!!!!...Please !!!

hi Linda,

This is Zoe, I am at my Mom's place so it is her name I am responding under.  Yes, you are to get a "hole" there.  When you look at the photo of the cardigan, you will see the holes are all part of the pattern.  Keep going, you are doing what you are supposed to do!  congrats on how far along you are in this KAL.

Once you have completed  a pattern in the lace, run a lifeline through the stitches.  For any one else who thinks they might run across a problem Huh?it is a wise thing to do--if you  need to frog back,you only need to frog to the lifeline. A lifeline is made from a different colored yarn and you thread a darning needle with it.  Next you run this yarn through the stitches that are on your needles.  When you knit the next row, make sure that this lifeline yarn is at the bottom of the stitches.  You don't have to "carry" this lifeline yarn up as you go along.  This lifeline is there for you as a guideline to where you last knew your pattern and stitches were all made right.  Mark this on your pattern as to where you put this lifeline.

hope it helps to clarify the lace thingy for you.  The yarn overs help to create the lacey looks that are popular with knitting.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 10
GEHB wrote

knitonedroptwo:
When you have a yarn over after a knit stitch and before a purl you have to do differently and it leaves a much bigger hole.  Is that what is supposed to happen?????..I don't want to knit any more if I need to rip out a few rows...HELP !!!!!...Please !!!

hi Linda,

This is Zoe, I am at my Mom's place so it is her name I am responding under.  Yes, you are to get a "hole" there.  When you look at the photo of the cardigan, you will see the holes are all part of the pattern.  Keep going, you are doing what you are supposed to do!  congrats on how far along you are in this KAL.

Once you have completed  a pattern in the lace, run a lifeline through the stitches.  For any one else who thinks they might run across a problem Huh?it is a wise thing to do--if you  need to frog back,you only need to frog to the lifeline. A lifeline is made from a different colored yarn and you thread a darning needle with it.  Next you run this yarn through the stitches that are on your needles.  When you knit the next row, make sure that this lifeline yarn is at the bottom of the stitches.  You don't have to "carry" this lifeline yarn up as you go along.  This lifeline is there for you as a guideline to where you last knew your pattern and stitches were all made right.  Mark this on your pattern as to where you put this lifeline.

hope it helps to clarify the lace thingy for you.  The yarn overs help to create the lacey looks that are popular with knitting.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 160
Beehiveof8 wrote

I think I may get the CotLin from KnitPicks in Lantana.  I keep going back to that no matter what I look at.  I like a "lighter'  cardi for spring and summer, too.  I run warm, and the CotLin is supposed to be good for warmer weather.   And, yay, it's in my budget!  Hoping to order today.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 160
Beehiveof8 wrote
on Jan 9, 2011 7:53 AM

Zoe,

Thanks for the reminder to use a lifeline!  When I get going on this I'm definitely going to do that after each completion of the lace pattern.  Great tip there, along with your others.  Thanks!

~Lisa

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Marlex wrote
on Jan 9, 2011 8:09 AM

Grace Bj:

Grace Bj:
knitonedroptwo:

Do you change the way the yarn over is done?  Is is wrapped in a different direction?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
on Jan 9, 2011 8:25 AM

Thanks Zoe...I just knew you would come through for me....After a knit stitch..YO..Then purl....Do you come under and over needle????....I noticed that with a knit stitch.YO.Knit stitch the hole is much smaller.....Am I dong the YO wrong????

Thanks also for the lifeline tip....When I have to rip out, I usually drop stitches and have to rip out further than I need to...Thus the name KnitOneDropTwo,,LOL...May have to think about changing my name...Hmmmm..

Thanks again

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Teresa@17 wrote
on Jan 9, 2011 9:33 AM

Teresa in OK here..I bought some Lion Brand Pound of Love and gauged the pattern using the Wavy Stitch..which, I might add is easy peasy..but my gauge is not right and the yarn is too thick for my liking...

plan on looking at LYS or online later hopefully to choose another..this would be a perfect addition to my closet of work clothes..it's always freezing in there and just another layer but not a coat/jacket ya know is what is needed

Good luck everyone!!Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 10
GEHB wrote
on Jan 9, 2011 10:17 AM

knitonedroptwo:
After a knit stitch..YO..Then purl....Do you come under and over needle????....I noticed that with a knit stitch.YO.Knit stitch the hole is much smaller.....Am I dong the YO wrong????

Hi knitonedroptwo,

You give me a smile -- I had wondered about your name but then it makes sense!  cute one too.

I think that the YO method of which ever way you choose to wrap it, just mostly needs to be consistent all the way through the cardigan.  You can decide for yourself which way looks best for your tension and knitting.  Remember, when you wash and block, these will all even out!

PS  Still on Mom's computer!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 485
bessT wrote
on Jan 9, 2011 10:28 AM

knitonedroptwo:

Thanks Zoe...I just knew you would come through for me....After a knit stitch..YO..Then purl....Do you come under and over needle????....I noticed that with a knit stitch.YO.Knit stitch the hole is much smaller.....Am I dong the YO wrong????

Thanks also for the lifeline tip....When I have to rip out, I usually drop stitches and have to rip out further than I need to...Thus the name KnitOneDropTwo,,LOL...May have to think about changing my name...Hmmmm..

Thanks again

Most YO's are before a knit stitch however:

Yes, well, there is a tricky bit in this particular lace pattern - the YO before the purl 2, row 11... Here's what I do. After the knit stitch, leave the yarn on the knit side and work the purl stitch, bringing the yarn over the needle. This is of course the YO. On the way back, I have to jigger the threads so that I can see the YO ready to be purled, on the even-numbered row. knit, yo before purl gives a slightly compressed-looking new stitch ;)

I'm not using a lifeline on this pattern - the even numbered rows are a break from the patterning. To keep track, I'm counting - once the pattern is established you can see the groups of stitches making the pattern. It isn't too difficult to work back to find an error (but of course, use a lifeline if it suits).

It seems to me this is a decorative rib pattern, quite fun to make, should have horizontal give (and I said I wasn't making this one - couldn't resist a sample Big Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 485
bessT wrote
on Jan 9, 2011 10:31 AM

Grace Bj:

I think that the YO method of which ever way you choose to wrap it,...

Do you have the pattern, Zoe? It is as easy as people have mentioned, but you do have to pay attention to that one YO.

Happy Mom visiting Smile

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 60
mamadeitz wrote
on Jan 9, 2011 10:38 AM

I purchased materials yesterday. I did purchase recommended yarn which is costly but thought I would take the plunge. I live near WEB's which is www.yarn.com.  I went with my daughter and we purchased the amt. to get a 25% discount still we spent enough. Need to now get started on project.

What time zone is this posted in as it is like 5 hrs ahead of me in EST.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 485
bessT wrote
on Jan 9, 2011 11:19 AM

knitonedroptwo:

After a knit stitch..YO..Then purl....Do you come under and over needle????....I noticed that with a knit stitch.YO.Knit stitch the hole is much smaller.....Am I dong the YO wrong????

I just had a thought (Idea (bing!) if you did wrap the yarn all the way around the needle, it will make a larger hole. I'm thinking you brought the yarn forward as if to purl, made the YO by wrapping the yarn around the needle, then did the purl stitch (yes, maybe?). If so, that was more than a Yarn Over Wink and thus a bigger gap.

Bring the yarn over the top of the needle, make the purl stitch. That's all you have to do.

To explain to anyone not having done this before, when I make a YO, I bring the yarn over the top of the needle. When changing from knit to purl, I bring the yarn forward (towards me) through the gap in the needles ('under').

Page 5 of 66 (984 items) « First ...  < Previous  3 4 5 6 7  Next >  ... Last » | RSS