THE OFFICIAL SEAWEED CARDIGAN KNIT-ALONG POST!

This post has 983 Replies | 43 Followers rated by 16 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 483
bessT wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 2:00 PM

Christine, you've done a beautiful job! Keep knitting all those still working this sweater!

(for those wondering, there doesn't seem to be an Official topic for the new KAL yet)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 483
bessT wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 2:04 PM

ooops I lied. Although - it isn't on the index page <puzzled>

http://www.knittingdaily.com/forums/t/7571.aspx

Not Ranked
Posts 7
alpacagirl wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 2:10 PM

Like others, I've been knitting many other things as this KAL went along. I'm finished with my back and two fronts and ready to pick up stitches. I'm very happy with the way the cardi looks, although it will be a gift for someone else. In my mind, I'm planning another one made from homespun alpaca yarn for my granddaughter!

The new KAL with ruffles doesn't really appeal to me, so I will sit this one out. But I'm very pleased to have joined this one. I learned more than I thought I would and have been encouraged by all the generous comments made by and for others! I will definitely check in later to see how this new KAL has progressed and watch for yet another! 

Knit on!!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 38
All2HimIO wrote
on Apr 8, 2011 3:39 PM

Looks very nice.  A job well done!  The silver can be worn with the black as well as many other colors.  Good choice.

Mabel from Maryland

All2HimIO Yes

Not Ranked
Posts 5
CheriW52 wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 3:39 PM

I understand the allergy problem.  My spouse brought back some lovely Norwegian wool when he went there on a business trip.  I tried to knit him a vest and my hands and arms broke out in hives!  Wool has always made me itch but I never had a problem like that before just handling wool.  Gave all the wool to my sister-in-law who was a spinner, carder, and weaver.

I really wish that ALL patterns came with a suggested NON-wool yarn preferably cotton, silk, or synthetic that would work in the same pattern.  I wish there was some way of letting the designers in the knitting and crocheting fields could be made aware of how many people are allergic.  Allergies in the general population seem to be increasing all over the world.  I have three allergy prone grown kids and one grandson in the same condition.  I only knit gifts for them in acrylic or cotton.

Thanks for listening.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
jewel411 wrote
on Apr 20, 2011 9:54 AM

I made mine with Tahki Cotton Classic and love it.  One of the easiest, quickest, and lovely patterns to wear that I've ever made!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Kaliajer wrote
on Apr 20, 2011 10:11 AM

I finished mine on time! (But I forgot to brag - how weird is that?)  I used Berrocco Seduce in a lovely chocolate brown. I modified the pattern slightly to allow for more coverage/less gap in the front. Love the pattern!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
pladle wrote
on Apr 20, 2011 1:19 PM

Congratulatiions on your completion, I like your modifications and am sure you will enjoy the sweater., Kathleen. I enjoy your emails; occassionally wish I could answer or send a comment.

I Knit very slowly, and have never joined a knit a long.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
annie36 wrote
on Apr 20, 2011 3:59 PM

I have to finish an afghan (now a blanket) for my granddaughter before I start anything else but am always looking for patterns and have downloaded several.  I took one look at the picture of this pattern and passed it right over--not anything I could wear.  But, Kathleen made it and is making another!  Maybe I should rethink this as I am built very much like Kathleen--at least from her pictures.  The results you have shown indicate this can be worn by many sizes/shapes.  I'm adding it to my list. 

Not Ranked
Posts 10
cwg wrote
on Apr 20, 2011 5:02 PM

Being a man, my mother never taught me to knit. I learned 2 years ago, made 16 hats and scarf sets this winter, and want to do something with lace.  Is this easy to do for someone who had NEVER done any lace at all?  And when you are talking about yarn weight, I just look at yarn and see if it is heavy or light, is there a standardized weight gauge printed somewhere?   (I tried a sweater last month, worked 18,000 stitches, then realized it was WAY to wide -- 148 stitches instead of 110. I don't wish to repeat this error)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 483
bessT wrote
on Apr 20, 2011 5:22 PM

cwg:

Being a man, my mother never taught me to knit. I learned 2 years ago, made 16 hats and scarf sets this winter, and want to do something with lace.  Is this easy to do for someone who had NEVER done any lace at all?  And when you are talking about yarn weight, I just look at yarn and see if it is heavy or light, is there a standardized weight gauge printed somewhere?   (I tried a sweater last month, worked 18,000 stitches, then realized it was WAY to wide -- 148 stitches instead of 110. I don't wish to repeat this error)

Well, cwg, my *dad* taught me to knit! If you can follow the knits and purls, this 'lace' pattern is just like any other knitted style. As to the weight, I've noticed a standard of sorts, that the labels will number the yarn size #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and  6, with 1 being very fine and 6 extra bulky. Most sweater weight yarns are in the 3, 4, 5 range, often-est in the 4. Hope this helps.

To avoid making that width error again, make sure you do a 'swatch' or a test piece, so that even if you are making the pattern yourself, you know ahead of time how many stitches and rows are in a 4-inch-square, and compare that to the garment dimensions you have in mind. It is a sketchy explanation - google knitting gauge and you should get many links to find out more info.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
dcampeau wrote
on Apr 21, 2011 1:00 AM

I worked on this to the joining of the shoulders and then stopped.  It was going to be too large.  It was my first sweater and I should have taken measurements and followed the numbers instead of my eyes on a non-blocked item (I frogged the first attempt at the back 15 inches in because it looked like it would be too small and went up a size...sigh). 

Anyway, because I didn't like the short sleeves, I extended the sleeves and ran out of yarn, and though I obtained another skein, it wasn't enough.  I figured it didn't matter if I found another skein, i probably wasn't going to wear the item anyway.  I could have given it to someone else, but I really liked that yarn, and so, after realizing that I joined the KAL to learn new skills and I accomplished that, I ripped out everything  (that doing so didn't make me feel sick and in fact, I felt energized, let me know I'd made the right decision) and am going to use the yarn on this next KAL! (and yes, I have PLENTY)!! 

I do thank everyone for their support and their input on this, my first KAL.  Looking forward to seeing you on others!! 

Affectionately, Dina from Austria 

Not Ranked
Posts 0
blue4skies wrote
on Apr 23, 2011 6:43 AM

Lovely sweater, lovely pattern,  it's unfortunate that it looks like it shrunk in the wash!!

The pattern would have to be altered in order to look "nice" in it!!!

When are designers going to really design correctly again?

M. Steele

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Fiberlicious wrote
on Apr 23, 2011 7:51 AM

I can see it with buttons and loops all the way down, to avoid the dreaded "Here is my fat stomach!" look.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 34
lisafass wrote
on Apr 25, 2011 6:53 AM

Anyone still there? Finally finished and love it! I slipped the first stitch of

every row for the front sections, leaving a finished edge. No need to pick

up all those stitches! I am going to find someone to crochet the neck to 

finish that.

Page 63 of 66 (984 items) « First ...  < Previous  61 62 63 64 65  Next >  ... Last » | RSS