What are you spinning right now?

This post has 37 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 5
CrystalJ wrote
on Sep 9, 2008 12:32 PM

Right now I'm plying the fiber I got last spring as a belated x-mas present, I have 4 small balls of singles I spun on my top whorl spindle, so I found a LARGE spindle I had been given to use that to ply everything together at once.  I just got some beautiful fiber from etsy ( I can't remember her name, I know she has 'fairy sparkle batts') that I'm thinking of spitting all the batts in half so that it will come closer to lining up for plying, then I will make a hat that shades from earthy browns and dark greens through mid and lighter greens ending in yellows and orangey reds.  Most of the fiber also has sparkle.  Before I dive in I will take pictures of the fiber laid out hopefully without a cat on it Smile .  Not sure if I will stick to a spindle or if I will try one of my mom's wheels.

And I'm getting my polymer clay corner set back up so I might try making a clay spindle or at least the whorl.  Also knitting a lacy shrug for myself.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
MzMelly wrote
on Sep 10, 2008 7:55 AM

I'm spinning 1 lb 10 oz worth of Jacob's wool roving from Morro Fleece Works. I want to knit the sweater from "A Fine Fleece" -- the Flying Dales sweater. I'm fairly new to spinning (just since last November), so I'm still considered a 'novice" in the spinning world! However, I am loving how this is spinning up, I am focusing on spinning it to worsted weight. As soon as I have a minimum of 600 yards, I feel confident that I can cast on and start knitting this, and have the motivation to finish the batch of roving before I run out of knitting!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
AnneB@4 wrote
on Sep 10, 2008 5:04 PM

My son and his Australian girlfriend were travelling in New Zealand last fall and sent me two bats of Merino (75%) & possum fur (25%), one silver and one brown/black. I spun up the silver taking care to spin tightly so the possum fur would stay put. The resulting yarn was pretty fine. I made some 2-ply and some 3-ply, dyed a bit with deep violet for contrast, and I knit up hats for them both with the 2-ply in time for the Australian winter. My son reports that this is the lightest, warmest hat he's had.. I've made a lot for this outdoorsman who learned to ice climb as a teenager on the icy clifts of New Hampshire's White Mountains, and I guess I could not get higher praise!

What fun I had all the time thinking of them so far away.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Sep 15, 2008 1:53 PM

I'm doing some stash spinning ... just finished a Loop batt (Wine Country):

Strands of wine and chocolate

And have some EGMTK Polwarth Top 'Hippie Heaven' and Happy Hooves sock batt 'Treasure Chest' on the wheel now, both half done.

Next up will be returning to the blue silk on my spindles and starting up a batt of Highland Heather from Crosspatch Creations...

Not Ranked
Posts 5
BeverlyH wrote
on Sep 15, 2008 4:57 PM

I just bought a picker and have been picking part of a Jacob fleece.  One of our guild members brought some yarn she had spun from fleece that had only been washed and picked, it was lumpy, thick and thin and beautiful.  So I'm spinning my picked Jacob and it's making a lovely yarn that I think I'll knit into a vest.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
MindyO wrote
on Sep 16, 2008 9:48 AM

I only spindle spin, for now, but I'm working on 3 pounds of some unknown origin. Rather compacted off white  fiber that still has the occassional bits and twigs. It was purchased by my aunt at a fiber festival years ago and she gave it to me so I could try spindling. I LOVE IT!!!  It's so addicting. I don't even want to knit anymore.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Sep 17, 2008 5:07 PM

I'm spinning nothing... and EVERYTHING! We just moved, so I HAD to go through my fibre stash and box it for moving. I loved going through all the fibres and dreaming (and wishing someone else would do all the packing so I could sit down and spin a bit of everything). Everything is moved in (all my fibres are, anyway), and my wheel awaits. Should I finish the merino I dyed with blues? Should I finish the gorgeous gold merino/silk? Should I just empty those bobbins and spin bits of every colour I can find (it's been an extremely rainy summer and fall)? I'm someone who like to finish what I've started, but part of me wants to go colour-wild since the flowers are gone, the leaves are almost off the trees (I live in the middle of the Yukon Territory), the sky is grey, and it's been a long time since I've been with my wheel. - I think I just answered my own question!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
BrynK wrote
on Sep 20, 2008 1:04 PM

I'm a beginner so I'm just trying to get through the remainer of a pound of grayish-brown "Colonial Wool" I bought to practice on.  It's coming along--I only have about 90 babillion miles more to spin.  Wink

Not Ranked
Posts 2
HollyK wrote
on Sep 20, 2008 10:17 PM

I am trying to finish some skeins for our county fair next week - working on black huacaya alpaca, Border Leicester and yearling mohair, all from raw fleece.  Also plying some lace weight merino/silk that was spun from a truly amazing set of batts from Merry Meadows Farm that I have really high hopes for!

BrynK, hang in there because there will be loads of things you can make with all that yarn - and maybe even some experiments in dyeing some of it!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
LoraineL wrote
on Sep 21, 2008 11:29 AM

I just finished spinning the yarn for my niece's socks that I dyed myself

Loraine

Not Ranked
Posts 10
mljan wrote
on Sep 22, 2008 11:12 AM

I'm also a new spindle owner trying to make my way through 8 ounces of Corriedale, I think. I bought some inexpensive white top to learn on, decided it would be fun to dye it, but slightly felted it. It's not felted solid. If I tease it apart carefully before spinning, I can get it to draft. I know it's not going to make a yarn worth keeping, but I'm cheap and am trying to make myself work through it, picking up whatever skills I can from it. I don't know, maybe I'm learning bad habits from it? What I seem to be practicing mostly is joining the fiber back together after accidentally pulling it apart because it won't draft smoothly.

I hope I don't end up hating the whole process just to save a few $.

I have some lovely BFL from Spunky Eclectic waiting, once I use this up, though.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
joydidit wrote
on Sep 23, 2008 10:47 AM

MaureenJ:

I hope I don't end up hating the whole process just to save a few $.

I was told by a a teacher that life it too short for anything but the best fiber and the best chocolate. I would take a break from the corridale and spin an ounce or two of a different, better prepared fiber. You will likely build better habits, enjoy it more and will have something useable at the end. Save the corridale for a felting project or for when you have better skills to handle its cranky nature.

I am currently spinning a Mountain Colors roving in Lupine - a colorway with purple, greens and blues on my Victoria. I am spinning half, and my 11-year-old daughter is going to spin the other half and then we will ply them together to make...something...

Joy

Not Ranked
Posts 2
BrynK wrote
on Sep 25, 2008 6:50 PM

Ooooh!  Pretty, LoraineL!!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
JaneT@3 wrote
on Sep 26, 2008 3:05 AM

Some really nice Brown Romney. It is so nice. 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
katep8652 wrote
on Oct 11, 2008 6:46 PM

I've got a black alpaca/white silk/camel mix that I'm spinning on my Minstrel -- feels lovely, but like the lady w the mohair, when I stand up it's all over me. I was going back to my S10 to continue w the Crosspatch Creations red wool with white & blue silk bits mixed in, but discovered the footman-to-treadle connector did not survive the last hot, dry days of Summer. Sigh.    

Page 2 of 3 (38 items) < Previous  1 2 3  Next > | RSS